This summer, Birchbox’s content team is extremely lucky to have awesome intern Shana in the office. She’s a student at Syracuse University (the smarty pants is a dual major in magazine journalism and psychology) and she’ll be helping with researching, writing, product testing and, of course, blogging. In addition to daily beauty news posts, she’ll be writing a weekly column called College Girl.
Accessories can jazz up even the most boring of outfits and in the summer, no one should be without a great pair of sunglasses. From retro to open temple, I’ve noticed that almost every major designer has developed some glorious new styles—but they all come with sky-high prices. So I decided to round up some affordable alternatives—here are four pairs that will help you keep up with the trends without maxing out your credit card.
Oversize Flat Top: Top: Celine Extra Large Sunglasses Havana, $375, Bergdorf Goodman in stores only, 212.872.8700; Bottom: Lisa’s Leopard Flat Tops, $14, urbanoutfitters.com
Retro: Top: Tom Ford Astrid, $255, iloveglasses.com; Bottom: Cheap Monday Cryokinesis Shades, $30, shopnastygal.com
Cat Eye: Top: Marc Jacobs Extreme Cat Eye Sunglasses, $275, bloomingdales.com; Extreme Cat Eye Sunglasses, $16, urbanoutfitters.com
Open Temple: Top: Roberto Cavalli Open Temple Sunglasses, $350, nordstom.com; Bottom: Forever 21 F7121 Sunglasses, $5.80, forever21.com
Store your new shades in our Birchbox Travel Pouch, free with your next $50 purchase.
A shot from our summer beauty editorial. Photographer: Ken Pao; makeup: Nam Vo.
Well, that was one humdinger of a week. June boxes are out the door, we debuted our awesome travel pouches (flying out the doors - get yours quick!), and even squeezed in a video shoot. In between all that, we even managed to do some reading. Here’s what caught our eye.
- Whew. Preview shots of Tom Ford’s new makeup collection are out and they’re downright sexy. Those gleaming gold accents, those engraved lipsticks…we want. BellaSugar has the deets on the forthcoming collection, fronted by the gorgeous Lara Stone.
- One more reason to pick up the Sunday Times: there’s a fascinating profile of Bare Escentuals high priestess Leslie Blodgett. Find out how she made mineral powders a must-have item.
- We were all aflutter earlier this week, when Book of Mormon star Nikki James (besties with our own Eric) came by to say hi. We were even more psyched to see her awesome Vogue.com feature — watch her shop for the perfect Tony Awards dress.
- We love Refinery29’s roundup of their five favorite under-the-radar beauty brands, featuring one of our fave Elizabeth Dehn and her new By Elizabeth Dehn line!
- Finally, here’s a selfish one: We just put up a fresh batch of content. Head on over to our website to check it out: there’s an editorial featuring our favorite summer beauty looks, an interview with the too-cute Marais USA girls, downtown cool hair tutorials, and more. Go go!
…And I’m out. Have a great weekend!
Where did the week go? Between April boxes shipping, our favorite YouTube vlogger stopping by, and many many hair feathers, let’s just say the last few days have been a bit of a blur. It’s not just us that’s been busy - the Interwebs have been abuzz with everything from the new jort to the latest Tom Ford shennigans. Here are a few links for weekend brunch conversation fodder.
- We can definitely see this being true: Beauty High reports that according to a recent survey, women would rather give up coffee, chocolate, and yes, sex, than their favorite beauty products. (Well, duh?)
- Known for his racy ads, we’re not surprised by Tom Ford’s newest campaign, which we spied on Fashionologie. While it’s hard to tell what, exactly, the designer is trying to sell, it sure did catch our eye.
- Love, love, LOVE Drew’s new red ‘do! After seeing a picture of her new hue on StyleList, we’re sure this is the IT color of the season.
- Inspired by Emma Stone (who isn’t?), Refinery29 did an awesome round-up of electric pink lip colors.
- One thing we’re not happy about: Junderpants. Prepare yourself before clicking through for more details on The Cut.
- ELLE photographed Khloe Kardashian’s house and if her shoe closet doesn’t inspire serious life-altering envy, something is seriously wrong with you.
- In other Kardashian news, it is really nice to know that Kim wears Spanx. Coco Perez should have titled the post ‘Just Like Us.’
- Want to know what it takes to be the Beauty Director at Vogue? The Coveteur has all the answers.
Need a Friday pick-me-up? Check out the latest additions to our shop!