How differently do people view you when you’re wearing absolutely no makeup? What about a full face? One Reddit user decided to set up a small social experiment to see just how much makeup influences perception. For four days, she went to her usual daily setting (probably work) and recorded reactions to her wearing varying levels of product, from barefaced to full-on glam. Her informal experiment yielded some particularly interesting responses.
This weekend we’re in the mood to try new things: new nail art, new products from Japan, and even a new way to pick out our makeup. Lucky for us (and you!), our favorite sites have some ideas.
We love nail art inspired by fashion—especially when it’s something we actually might be able to achieve ourselves. This lovely ombre plus lace version is inspired by the Chanel Resort 2012 collection. Image: Beauty Blitz
- Fashionista revealed their five favorite Japanese drugstore beauty products. We’ll be placing our orders this weekend. Who knew Japanese Q-Tips were so much better than ours? [Fashionista]
- The Beth Ditto and MAC collaboration is available now. The polka-dotted ad is too cute and the makeup looks almost as fun as Ditto herself. [Fashion Etc]
- Speaking of Chanel, She Finds has all the details on their summer makeup collection, Bombay Express. It will be released this month and features loads and loads of gold. [She Finds]
- L’Oreal Paris just created a new iPhone app that helps you easily match your makeup to your outfit. In addition to making it look totally useful, their demo video stars the French and lovely Inès de la Fressange. [Fast Co. Create]
- We’re big fans of the spray tan. If you’re going to insist on getting tan, fake is the only way to go. Looks like Mark Wahlberg shares our opinion because he was just spotted getting a custom spray on his balcony. [The Gloss]
Getting a spray tan is no excuse to slack on the SPF application. Shop our favorite sun-protecting products this weekend.
New York Fashion Week may be over but the roundups are still in full effect. We’ll be clicking through them all weekend. Catch a few of our favorites below, as well as a poll about your at-home beauty routine and a fun new way to send a note.
- If you’re like us, you probably attempt at-home beauty treatments fairly frequently. But, like us, you might not be trying them at the best times. Whether it’s after one too many cocktails or before an important event at work, we’re sure there are more responsible ways to get pretty quickly. Take the poll to find out when most of us decide to tackle beauty treatments. [The Gloss]
- After an exhausting New York Fashion Week, we’re ready to get back to our regular schedule for the next six months or so. But, we couldn’t close the week without at least a few more roundups. We love this one of the prettiest pictures from the week. [Refinery 29]
- On the same note, this roundup of the most outrageous moments of the week has us wondering how we could have missed all these happenings! [Stylelist]
- Chanel’s awesome blog, Chanel Makeup Confidential debuted a new feature this week called Love Letters. Visit the site to create your own notes, built with Chanel makeup of course, and share them with anyone you like via email. [Chanel Makeup Confidential]
- London Fashion Week is taking a stand against tanning. There are 11 UK model agencies supporting a No Sunbed Policy for their models this fashion week. [Daily Mail]
- Trendy new content + commerce site Lifestyle Mirror finally launched this week. We’re swooning over all the amazing content. [Lifestyle Mirror]
Pick up a pick-me-up from the Birchbox Shop over this long weekend.
TheGloss is one of our daily must-reads (right up there with the NY Times). We love the site’s witty approach to style and its smart and irreverent voice. We like the writing so much, in fact, that we’ll be featuring one of their posts each week here on the Birchbox blog.
“Model and aspiring singer” Amber Rose appears to have gotten a face tattoo. Let’s take our time to savor that: Face. Tattoo. She was photographed sporting the regrettable decision in Miami over the weekend, alongside boyfriend Wiz Khalifa. Since Rose is famous at this point (essentially) for stunts like this, we’re thinking there’s a 50% chance the tattoo is real.
Read the rest of the article here.
Some other links from TheGloss you might like:
Confirmed: Will and Kate a Puppy
Kim Kardashian Tweets Flimsy Excuse To Show Her Breasts