Tanning Diaries: A Faux-Glow Novice’s Guide to Faking It
I treat myself to a pedicure. Big mistake. The leg massage and scrub that felt so rejuvenating also had the effect of stripping away my lovely bronze color from my shins down. Sad face. Luckily I still have more product at home.
Avoid this tanning mishap (and other Snooki-level orange moments).
Let this Birchbox staffer’s foray into the world of fake tanner be your guide to more beautifully bronzed pastures.
For even more tips on how to score a perfectly even glow, here are tips from Birchbox’s resident self-tanning expert.
In the summer of 1853, a hot tempered chef was manning the kitchen at a chic resort. A dinner guest found the chef’s French fries too thick for his liking and sent the plate back to the kitchen. In an effort to one up the persnickety customer, the chef sliced the potatoes paper-thin. And eureka! America’s favorite salty, snack—duh! the potato chip—was born.
Unexpected discovery of a seriously great thing, right? Like our favorite crunchy fix, these four beauty products have surprising (and totally awesome!) beginnings.
The land down under is known for having the highest rates of melanoma, a.k.a the most dangerous form of skin cancer, in the world, and the country is now taking action. Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, is making headlines with the decision to make commercial tanning beds illegal in three years.
New York Fashion Week may be over but the roundups are still in full effect. We’ll be clicking through them all weekend. Catch a few of our favorites below, as well as a poll about your at-home beauty routine and a fun new way to send a note.
- If you’re like us, you probably attempt at-home beauty treatments fairly frequently. But, like us, you might not be trying them at the best times. Whether it’s after one too many cocktails or before an important event at work, we’re sure there are more responsible ways to get pretty quickly. Take the poll to find out when most of us decide to tackle beauty treatments. [The Gloss]
- After an exhausting New York Fashion Week, we’re ready to get back to our regular schedule for the next six months or so. But, we couldn’t close the week without at least a few more roundups. We love this one of the prettiest pictures from the week. [Refinery 29]
- On the same note, this roundup of the most outrageous moments of the week has us wondering how we could have missed all these happenings! [Stylelist]
- Chanel’s awesome blog, Chanel Makeup Confidential debuted a new feature this week called Love Letters. Visit the site to create your own notes, built with Chanel makeup of course, and share them with anyone you like via email. [Chanel Makeup Confidential]
- London Fashion Week is taking a stand against tanning. There are 11 UK model agencies supporting a No Sunbed Policy for their models this fashion week. [Daily Mail]
- Trendy new content + commerce site Lifestyle Mirror finally launched this week. We’re swooning over all the amazing content. [Lifestyle Mirror]
Pick up a pick-me-up from the Birchbox Shop over this long weekend.
When it comes to soaking up the sun, I realize that I am at one end of the spectrum. If I’m on the beach, I am definitely under an umbrella and most likely wearing a hat and a long sleeve tee. But I have a close girlfriend who is my polar opposite, despite the fact that years ago, we were almost equally as pale. But warm weather vacations, summers at the beach, and tanning oil have made her fair skin incredibly dark. While I’ve tried talking to her and stressing the very real threat of skin cancer, I don’t seem to get anywhere.
New research conducted by UT Southwestern Medical Center and published in Science Daily might explain why my heart-to-hearts with this dear friend are pointless: she could be addicted. The study was conducted by measuring the brain activity and blood flow to the brain of participants who were using tanning beds. The results were similar to those of addicts, meaning that all-too-frequent tanners might feel a physical need to continue the harmful behavior. Does this mean my friend might need a full-blown tanning intervention? Maybe, and I might be ready to go there one day. For now, I am just thinking of swapping out her SPF 5 for some SPF 75.
My daily regimen these days includes my new favorite Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+.