In the summer, my skincare routine goes into overdrive. Extended exposure to Mr. Sun isn’t very kind to our complexions. On top of that, I’m even more prone to breaking out during the hottest months of the year. That’s why I’ve rounded up some of my favorite tips for taking care of my skin and feeling confident even in the sweltering heat!
Top 6 Reasons to Use Sunscreen
By now you’ve probably seen that the Birchbox editors are über vigilant about sun protection. Since you’ve been following along closely, we’re sure that you’re now wearing SPF everyday, right?
All joking aside, we know that despite the best of intentions, sometimes we’re all a little guilty of skimping on the sunscreen—especially if we don’t know how much formula to use or how often to reapply. (Hint: you need more for your entire body than you’d think).
We quizzed our Birchbox staffers to test their sunscreen IQs, and realized that we could all use a quick refresher; thus the handy tips in the video above! I know I’ll be applying it more liberally and more often. Since I worry about clogged pores, I always look for an oil-free formula made especially for the face. I love using COOLA Classic SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face because it’s super lightweight and doesn’t leave a greasy residue. Now go have some fun in the sun (but remember that sunscreen!)
Looking for more sunscreen tips? Read 9 Sun Protection Tips You Need to Know Now from Jill Scalisi, the founder of Scalisi skincare.
5 Ways to Avoid Breaking Out in the Summer
While I love summer weather, I’m not a huge fan of the heat and sweat threatening me with breakouts. Piling on the necessary amount of sunscreen and heavy makeup doesn’t exactly make my skin a happy camper. I’d rather be enjoying the sun than worrying about breakouts. That’s why I’m revamping my usual beauty routine with help from our latest video.
These 5 tips will help you avoid those pesky pimples and keep your skin happy. Summer skincare is all about keeping it light and fresh so I always look for products that will keep my skin matte. Supergoop!® SPF 30+ Everyday UV Lotion for Face and Body is a perfect sunscreen that will keep your skin protected without feeling greasy. I don’t have perfect skin so I rely on at least a little coverage in the summer. CC creams like Pur Minerals CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 provide enough coverage without the feel of heavy makeup. Kiss those breakouts goodbye!
These tips not enough? Here are more 7 Tricks for Nixing Summer Breakouts.
(Photo: © Bettmann/CORBIS)
We love al fresco summer fun as much as the next girl (it’s so nice to get some Vitamin D!). But as much as we love frolicking outside, we also know it’s important to protect ourselves from the sun’s harmful rays.
For the latest information, we turned to one of the best-informed skincare experts around: Jill Scalisi, founder of Scalisi Skincare. In 2008, Jill learned that a dry patch of itchy skin on her chest—which she initially thought was a form of eczema caused by a severe sunburn—was actually melanoma. After surgery and laser treatments, she survived her battle with skin cancer, but through her journey realized that there was a need for antiaging skincare products with protective SPF. And thus she started her eponymous line.
Here are Jill’s top tips for staying protected, plus some must-know facts about skin cancer and UV damage:
- I apply sunscreen every day after the shower and before I get dressed—this makes sure I haven’t missed a spot and it won’t get on my clothes. I make sure to put it on any area that will be exposed to the sun.
- Reapplication is always tough, so I keep a minibottle of SPF 30 in my makeup bag. Instead of touching up during the day, I use a towelette to wash my face and reapply my SPF 30 moisturizer and makeup. I also reapply it to areas that are exposed to the sun.
- I love the beach, but will always make sure sit under an umbrella.
- When I go swimming, I wear an SPF 30 rash shirt and a hat to protect my scalp.
- If I need to be at my children’s soccer or lacrosse tournaments for a couple of hours, I’ll bring a beach umbrella to sit under, too.
- When you’re looking at moles on your skin, watch out for the ABCDE’s of skin cancer: Asymmetrical moles; Borders on the mole that are uneven; Color—if there are suddenly multiple colors in one mole; Diameter—if it’s larger than 1/4-inch; Evolving—any change to the shape or color.
- You should do monthly self checks on your skin, and also schedule an annual checkup with a dermatologist.
- Did you know that 90% of wrinkles come from the sun? Since UVA rays go through glass (car windows, etc.), even if you’re not outside for extended periods of time, you should be using SPF 30 daily—this helps prevent wrinkles in the long run.
- Always look for sunscreens that use the words broad spectrum. This means the formula protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
If you’re a big believer in sun protection but hate sloppy formulas, here are 5 nongoopy alternatives.
The fourth of July means that we get two of our favorite summer activities packed into one day: 1. gorgeous fireworks and 2. endless BBQ. But as much as we would love to dive straight into the deliciousness of it all, we’ve got to be prepared for everything from stains to sunburns. To gear up for Independence Day festivities, we’ll be grabbing these products so our totes are prepped:
I can hardly believe it, but this weekend I’m headed to sunny southern California to celebrate my college roommate’s big day. In a perfect reflection of her personality, Tammy’s wedding will be easy-going (hello, beautiful vineyard), understated, and charmingly romantic (make-your-own candy bag stations!).
Aside from the ceremony, my trip will be all laid-back California style and lush winery backdrops, so I’m packing long-lasting makeup formulas to survive the 90-degree heat and comfy-yet-presentable duds for any vino-tasting detours.