Once a week, Birchbox’s resident yoga and men’s product expert, Eric, will gives us girls some insight into his world in You’ve Got Male. Whether he’s giving his expertise on skincare (boys need advice, too!) or highlighting his new favorite grooming trend, this guy has got taste—so we’re lucky he’s on staff and willing to share.
As unusual as this is for me, I didn’t make it to the beach until Fourth of July weekend this year. Between keeping busy in the Birchbox office and weekend events in NYC, I hadn’t been able to make a trip. Being back at the beach is fun and relaxing, but I was reminded how it can wreak havoc on your skin and hair. Here are a few of my must-haves when at the seashore.
Tocca SPF 30+ Towelette in Stella: Although Stella may be a bit girly for some of the guys out there, the scent is light and not overbearing. A great improvement from your drugstore SPF scent! These towelettes are individually wrapped and measure 8” x 8”. I use one for each half of my body and they work like a dream. Forget the mess of liquid sunscreen and the splotchy results you get with a spray!
SIRCUIT® Cosmeceuticals Molecular Mist: I sprayed the Molecular Mist on my face and neck before, during, and after visiting the beach and it did an amazing job of keeping my skin hydrated and cool. The 2 oz size makes it easy to throw in your bag and the ‘heavy water’ complex used in the formula is ideal for long-lasting hydration.
Amika Obliphica Hair Treatment: After frolicking in the surf and sitting out in the sun, my hair can be left stripped and coarse. Also, given that the beach tends to be a pretty humid place, it’s important to tame frizz. I love the Amika Obliphica Hair Treatment because it restores shine and health and deals with frizz and fly-aways without being too heavy.
Stay tuned for more of my beach and summer picks coming soon in You’ve Got Male! In the meantime, check out some more summer products in our Birchbox Shop.
Allow me to play bossy esthetician for a moment. Here are my top five rules for the summer months.
1. Wear lots and lots of SPF. Try Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+, which feels light and rubs in without any white residue. I’ve been using it on the weekends so that I can keep protected even while I’m out and about. Don’t miss the four areas people most people forget: lips, tops of ears, tip of nose, and scalp!
2. Don’t skip your scalp. There’s nothing being at an outdoor concert or picnic all day and coming home to a lobster red scalp. Part your hair in the middle and spray your part with something like Oscar Blandi’s Capri Sun Shield or just lightly trace a line of sunscreen over exposed skin (this is fine for when you’re at the beach). And gents, if your hairline is, shall we say, backing off…make sure to protect that bare skin!
3. Hydrate inside and out! Drink tons of water. When you skimp on H20 your skin and body suffers. Also hydrate from the outside - refresh skin with a natural toner like Pangea Toner or a mist like Sircuit Cosmeceuticals Molecular Mist.
4. Be smart and screen! Get a skin screening from your dermatologist at the beginning of the summer so your dermatologist can see your sun-free skin and have a base for post-summer. Those of you with freckles and moles, I suggest getting screened twice a year to be safe!
5. Blot, don’t wash. Even though you may feel like you need to wash your face more and more because you’re sweating more and your skin is oilier, this can actually cause your skin to produce more oil. Resist the urge to suds up five times a day and keep cool with blotting papers or a facial mist.
We quiz derms and research the ingredients to bring you the best skincare intel. Get up to date here.
To be honest, I really have no idea how people survived before air conditioning. On hot days when even lounging on the beach takes effort, hanging in the cool indoors sounds magnificent to me. But come on, we have places to go and people to see! Luckily, the beauty gods have created lifesavers to help us beat the heat and humidity.
Humidity causes dry hair to absorb water vapor from the air, causing curly hair to frizz and fine hair to go limp. Heat styling also causes dryness to hair and makes the reaction to humidity worse, so use Amika Obliphica Hair Treatment to prevent frizz and protect hair from harsh temps.
Make Dr.Dennis Gross your right hand man when the sun is beating down. His Powerful Sun Protection SPF 30 Towelettes are super-portable and great to carry around with you wherever you go. Even just a few minutes of exposure can do damage, so it’s always a good idea to practice safe sun.
And lastly, you can’t let the weather interrupt your makeup regimine. Use NARS Makeup Primer with SPF 20 directly before applying your makeup to protect your face and allow your makeup to last longer. As an added bonus, it is moisturizing so it helps things glide on smoothly.
For more hot weather beauty savers, visit the Birchbox Shop!