For Manhattanites, summers are all about heading to Central Park and staking out a spot on the Great Lawn. (When you don’t have a beach, a grassy patch of ground is an excellent stand-in). While we love taking full advantage of sunny days, impromptu picnics pose a major challenge when we need to get to our next fete without looking like a hot mess.
To tackle this challenge head on, we’re relying on these purse companions to to get us from point A (picnic bliss) to point B (cocktail hour) looking fresh:
Packing for college can be really overwhelming. How much should you bring? What do you bring? Well, the answer is simple: only the essentials. That’s why this month we teamed up with Seventeen magazine and their special advisory board of sorority sisters on a curated list of 20 college beauty must-haves. Check back each week for more great content from our newest partner and definitely take advantage of this limited-time special offer just for Birchbox customers: Purchase a Seventeen subscription for $15 and get 100 Birchbox points!
Spice up your pout this summer and retire that dark plum lip! Instead, go bolder and hotter with a bright poppy lip color—these hues will heat up your look in no time and draw some much wanted attention to that pout of yours…
Sun damage, humidity, and dryness are no match for this restorative hair oil.
One of our biggest beauty hangups is dry, damaged hair. Aside from all the coloring, heat-styling and teasing that we normally do, we also spent the long July fourth weekend frolicking in salty waves and mushing our strands into every kind of bun imaginable. Our poor hair! It must feel like rockabilly singer Eddie Cochran hit the nail on the head when he crooned, “There ain’t no cure for the summertime blues.”
But, fortunately for our seriously distressed locks, we have found a solution: I.C.O.N.’s nourishing India Oil, which some subscribers will be receiving in their July Birchboxes!
Thanks to the sky-rocketing temps and humidity, our skin is constantly on the verge of an epic breakout during the sticky summer months. In a valiant effort to avoid a major complexion revolt, we’re incorporating these seven game-changing tips into our daily skincare routines.
- Whether blemish-prone or drier than the Sahara Desert, your complexion needs a daily dose of moisturizer to stay pimple free. Use this cheat sheet to find the right moisturizer for your skin type.
- The key to maintaining bright, glowy skin when the thermostat rises? Exfoliation. Watch this video to find out how to properly prep and slough dead skin to get a radiant glow in no time.
- A solid pimple prevention plan is half the battle. Stop zits before they start with our handy acne guide, which calls out the most common skin-irritating culprits.
- If you’re already dealing with a monster-sized zit, use this tutorial to expertly conceal blemishes both big and small.
- Excessive sun exposure can not only lead to sun damage, it can also cause more zits as well—especially if you have sensitive skin. Try a combination moisturizer and sunscreen specifically geared toward reducing breakouts.
- Unsurprisingly, what you eat affects your skin as much as what you do or don’t put on your face. Here are three sneaky things in your diet that might be messing with your skin.
- Sweat and hair product residue can be transferred from strands to skin and cause breakouts—particularly on your forehead. On extra warm days, keep your hair up and out of your face with an ever-popular princess roll.
Another trick for keeping acne at bay? Staying clam and stress-free. Sit back, relax, and beat the summer blues with this cooling ice tea recipe from Runa cofounder Tyler Gage.
What’s in Your Carry-On?
Your hotel’s booked and you’ve checked in for your flight. Now there’s only one thing separating you from a much-needed mojito on the beach—packing. While we always have enough pieces to fill an extra large suitcase, the real challenge comes with picking TSA-approved products for your carry-on.
To help ease the preparation for your escape, we asked three Birchbox staffers to open their travel bags and share the items that they can’t leave home without.
Whether you’re jetting or driving, these summer travel essentials will have you at your destination looking effortlessly put-together.
Need more help with packing? Check out the June 2013 issue of the Birchbox Magazine.
4 Fuss-Free Summer Braids to Try This Weekend
Happy first day of summer! With all your upcoming festivities—BBQs, brunches and beach days included—we know you’re too busy to bother with complicated hairstyles. Which is why we rounded up these four simple braid tutorials to help you keep your hair in check no matter what your activity.
Four-strand Braid by A Cup of Jo
You’re probably more than familiar with the classic three stranded braid. But did you know that plaiting with four pieces is just as easy?
Crossover Cascade Braid by A Bird’s Leap
Dress up a your favorite summer dress with this pretty, but not terribly difficult, option. And good news for all you curly haired gals: this look works beautifully with your hair too.
French Twist Braid by Michaela Noelle Designs
This look is absolutely effortless and perfect for days when you need to look put together in 30 seconds. Chic and sophisticated in under a minute? Yes please.
Mini Crown Braid by She Lets Her Hair Down
This hairstyle is the perfect finishing touch to a bohemian-inspired maxi dress. The best part? It’s even cuter on short hair.
Looking for one more braid to try? Don’t miss our super easy-to-follow GIF tutorial on Milkmaid braids!
Will Smith said in it best in his smooth ’90s hit Summertime, "Summer, summer, summertime. Time to sit back and unwind." Take a cue from the former-Fresh Prince of Bel Air and adopt an equally breezy beauty routine. From an instantly calming body lotion to an exfoliating lip scrub, here are our top hot-weather essentials.
Like most women, I’ve spent maybe a few too many hours obsessing over my skin—from a microscopic broken capillary to a misplaced freckle, even the tiniest flaw seems worthy of my criticism. But the one characteristic that irked me the most? My alabaster skin tone.
During my awkward teen years, I lived in sunny and tropical Venezuela. Thanks to an endless supply of pink sand beaches and 365 days of perfect weather, tanning is practically a Venezuelan national pastime. While that might sound lovely, bikini season all-day, everyday is pretty much a 13-year-old girl’s worst nightmare.
We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
Photo: Gina Tricot
Now that summer is fast approaching (the season unofficially started after Memorial Day, but officially starts on June 21), my makeup bag is more minimalist than usual. When I’m in a setting where the sun is beaming and the water is splashing, the last thing I want is a full face of (melting) makeup, which is why “keep it simple” is definitely my beach beauty mantra.
Inspired by Aussie model Shanina Shaik’s look above, here’s a roundup of four products that will help my channel a similar so-fresh-and-so-clean vibe this weekend.
1. Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara ($10): I can’t stop talking about this adorable little lifesaver. Although it’s meant to groom your tiniest lashes, it’s also a great overall mascara to tote in your back pocket or little pool party clutch. To look as fierce as Shanina, apply a light coat after jumping in the water.