We knew we liked LivLuna when we first read their mantra: “A digital tribe of fun fearless females who love natural beauty, healthy fitness and food, body positivity, yoga, eco-fashion, and social justice.” That’s why we’re super excited to have their CEO and founder, Maria Olson, guest blogging for us this week on a variety of topics, from eating healthily (and without guilt!) to her fave eco-friendly fashion finds.
Korres Guava Body Butter: I am obsessed with the smell of guava, and I love the Korres body butters. The lotion is rich enough to actually moisturize my skin, without having to rub it in too much. My skin feels smooth without that gooey feeling and it’s total aromatherapy.
Pangea Organics Eye Cream: I love Pangea products. And their eye cream is wonderfully hydrating and aromatherapeutic-ly scented. I also feel like it helps lighten my dark undereye circles.
suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser: I keep a jar of my beloved suki Sugar in my shower. I love this product so much! I’ve tried so many and this is my favorite exfoliator. I admit it, I adore the sweet lemon smell and taste. I try not to actually eat it…but knowing that it is real sugar makes it so much sweeter.
Pangea Organics Lip Balm: The Pangea lip balm is a staple in my purse, as it doesn’t dry out my skin, and smells yummy and organic.
Pangea Organics Balancing Oil: My daytime moisturizer is this oil because it balances out my skin, prevent breakouts, and give me essential hydration and protection. After toner, I always follow up with fingertips full of this product all over my face, neck, and décolleté.
Weleda Wild Rose Smoothing Facial Lotion: Weleda products are a staple in my bathroom. I love this yummy lotion, which I use after showers and at night in the spring and summer on my face, neck and décolleté because it’s light and not too heavy. The wild rose smells divine and supposedly helps with broken capillaries, which I have plenty of…
Find all of these products and so much more, all in our Birchbox Shop!
You’d be forgiven if you associate the term ‘natural regimen’ with convention-rejecting hippies that rock their uneven complexions and lifeless hair with pride. But more and more, green is not just chic — it’s sexy. Opting into an environmentally-conscious lifestyle by no means necessitates the sacrifice of glamor or sex appeal. To meet the demand for eco-beauty, tons of brands have popped onto the radar over the past few years: Weleda, Jurlique, Dr. Hauschka, Suki, and Juice Beauty, just to name a few. These companies’ commitment to green differs (some pride themselves on their ingredients, other on their minimal packaging, and some on their kind manufacturing practices), but they’re all making investments because this is not just a passing fad, it’s a way of life.
And no surprise, some of my favorite Hollywood leading ladies — Natalie Portman, Rachel McAdams, Gwyneth Paltrow, Julianne Moore, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Alicia Silverstone — are all advocates of green beauty.
As Paltrow puts it on her blog, GOOP (btw, she calls blogging “gooping” as in “I think I gooped about this before…”):
“Going green” is no longer just the ideology of left-wing hippies. Nor is it a trend. We are living in exciting times. We are confronted with the challenge of sustaining our food, our water and our environment. We are changing things. It’s big.
Some of Paltrow’s favorites brands are ones that we heart too, like Pangea Organics and Weleda.
With so many different options out there, from face exfoliators to hydrating body oils, it is hard to know exactly what products fit your specific needs. Given that this is a conundrum we regularly face, we thought it appropriate to partner with suki, a brand whose mantra is ‘know your beauty.’ In that vein, the company’s founder, Suki Kramer, will customize an entirely new head-to-toe regimen for five lucky winners—each prize is worth $150! The line prides itself on using exceptionally high-quality, eco-friendly, and organic ingredients, plus it’s incredibly comprehensive so there is truly something for everyone. Click here to enter now!
Blemish fighter: Suki’s Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser.
All week, We Heart This founders Stef and Tyna have been sharing their Grown Up Girls Guide to Beauty. Today, Tyna tells us how she conquered adult acne.
Five Tips for Adult Acne
Many moons ago, I remember sitting with my girlfriends in high school dreaming of our adult lives. You know, when we would finally be done with school, live on our own, go out when and wherever we wanted…and finally outgrow pimples. I would nod along when the subject of acne came up, content and silently smug in my relatively zit-free existence. But right around my 25th birthday, when I could finally do all those things we dreamed about, karma struck back in the form of adult acne. For the next ten years I fought a war with pimples, blackheads, redness, and dark spots. And while I didn’t win every battle, I gathered valuable knowledge along the way. Today, I’m passing some of my most valuable ‘ammunition’ on to you to use in your fight against the dreaded adult acne.
1. We all know, no matter what I say, you’re still going to pick. At least, get the right tools. Your adult skin deserves more than sharp nails (prone to leaving marks) and imprecise (and let’s face it, dirty) fingertips. Use a sterilized, stainless steel blemish extractor to pop whiteheads and to carefully extract blackheads. I have a double-ended loop from Sephora that’s been serving me well for over ten years.
2. You’re not a teen anymore, so stop treating your skin like one. You can still watch Gossip Girl and The Vampire Diaries, but say goodbye to stinging astringents and drying soaps. Look for pimple fighters that also soothe skin and calm inflammation. For a wash I adore DDF’s Blemish Foaming Cleanser, and the best adult astringent on the market is Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal-Extract Toner. If you want a great scrub, you can’t do better then Suki’s Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser.
3. Even with the best skincare regimen, you may still get a couple of big ol’ zits. The key is to think of your skin like fine linen and spot treat as much as possible. I reach for the classic pink Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, and use a teeny-tiny dab. Bonus Spot Treatment Tip: Want to know the best and greenest (not to mention free) pimple fighter out there? ICE! Icing down pimples (two to three times a day for ten minutes) will drastically reduce the size, inflammation and pain associated with a big zit. This treatment also works wonders on Cystic Acne (which is a completely different beast then regular adult acne–you can read my tips for cystic sufferers here).
4. If you suffer from prolong and/or intense adult acne, it might be time to make a few lifestyle changes. This one’s a triple threat, ya’ll.
a) Stop smoking – as if you need another reason to quit. Research suggests kicking the habit can help clear skin.
b) Clean up your diet – You are what you eat. A diet that’s loaded with fruits and veggies, lots of water and low on alcohol can only help your skin. Others have success by cutting dairy, wheat or gluten from their diets.
c) Stay out of the sun - An unprotected day frolicking in the sun may temporarily dry out skin and pimples – but you’ll most likely pay for it with a fresh skin eruption a few days after your time in the sun. Limit your time in direct sunlight, wear a hat (or carry a parasol!) and always wear sunscreen. These lifestyle changes just may make a drastic change in your skin, and as adults we know it’s time to start treating our bodies with a bit more respect – start here.
5. If all else fails, see a doctor. A trusted dermatologist may be able to get to the root of the problem and can be a valuable ally for life, while a trip to your gynecologist may find a low dose birth control pill can calm hormonal acne problems.
Read all We Heart This’ posts here.