Birchbox December 2013: Sneak Peek!
It’s finally here! The first look at December’s holiday-tastic Birchbox. In this Sneak Peek, our co-founder Hayley and editorial director Mollie discuss the sparkly, shiny highlights from this month’s box. From a duo of pout-perfect chubby lip pencils to a multi-tasking healing balm from Jessica Alba’s natural skincare line, we’ve got you covered from head to toe. Keep in mind these are just a few of the products our subscribers will receive—we have to keep some secrets after all!
Want to get your hands on all the featured samples in the video? Answer the question at the end of the video in the YouTube comments and you’ll automatically be entered to win. We’ll pick one winner on Dec 30 and notify them via YouTube message. To steal a line from Catching Fire, “May the odds be ever in your favor!”
Join Birchbox now to secure your December box.
3 Fall Skincare Tips, Chatting with Rashida Jones, and More
We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything on the Birchbox blog and in the magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news that we don’t want you to miss.
1. 3 Fall Skincare Tips: We know it, you know it. Fall weather can wreak havoc on your skin. Here, Birchbox staffer Meredith shares three ways to protect your face from the elements.
2. Getting to Know Rashida Jones: The Parks and Rec actress talks up her new jewelry line, DanniJo, and tells us why she can never use enough dry shampoo.
3. Talking to Raan Parton: The co-founder of Apolis chats with Birchbox Man about the conception of his brand and the company’s mission to work with developing countries.
4. Morning, Noon, & Night: We love this feature from Birchbox UK, which traces one woman’s beauty routine from AM to PM. This week, they follow TV producer Dolly Alderton.
5. Double Duty Dresses: The gals at Lover.ly highlight seven dresses perfect for winter wedding events (and work for holiday parties too!).
Feeling luxurious? Check out our newly unveiled limited edition Precious Metals box.
Reading List: Get Party Ready in Just 10 Minutes, Life Lessons from Vince Vaughn (Seriously), 5 Get-Happy Tips, and More
1. Holiday Beauty How To: We’re over the moon to announce a series of holiday makeup tutorials with InStyle. First up, InStyle’s Beauty Director Kahlana Barfield teaches Mollie how to get holiday party ready in just 10 minutes.
2. Vince Vaughn’s Life Lessons: Who knew this funny guy had a soft spot? Fresh off the premiere of his new film, Delivery Man, Vince Vaughn opens up to Birchbox Man about being yourself, the importance of change, and the role of friendship.
3. 5 Ways to Be Happy Now: Beat your seasonal blues with these surefire tips to make you smile. Spoiler alert: Doing good for others is one of the best ways to turn your frown upside down.
4. Queen Karlie: Our UK team goes all fangirl on their #1 style inspiration, the angelic Karlie Kloss. Find out why they love her and (bonus!) how to get her signature look.
5. Flipboard x Birchbox: Birchbox’s new partnership with Flipboard makes it easy to shop via your tablet or phone. Even better? Act like a Birchbox editor and curate your own shareable wishlists with friends and family!
Good news: purchase a Birchbox subscription by November 17 and you’ll score our amazing November Birchbox. Packed with topnotch samples from can’t-miss brands, it has everything you need stay gorgeous all month long.
Finding the right skincare routine can be like solving a jigsaw puzzle. Which product do you use when? (And where? and how?) This week the experts at DDF Skincare (whose Amplifying Elixir some of you may find in your box this month!) hopped on Twitter to answer your questions about piecing together the ideal skincare routine. From when to exfoliate to the benefits of their oh-so-cool new tool, the Revolve 500x, here are our top five favorite tips we learned from our chat:
1. When cold weather hits, double up: “Try exfoliating twice per week, and use a moisturizer with glycerin to help with winter dryness.”
2. While the size of your pores does not actually change (myth buster!), the DDF Wrinkle Resist + Pore Minimizer can help “diminish the look of pores.”
3. Never swap in a nighttime moisturizer for a morning one: “AM formulas are designed to protect, and PM formulas are designed to restore.”
4. When feeling lazy, stick to the basics: “#1 is UV protection every day. A basic skincare regimen is cleanse twice a day and moisturize at night."
5. Why invest in the new DDF Revolve 500x? It boasts a “360 degree rotation technology that your hands/scrubs simply can’t replicate.”
Want more skincare tips? You can read through the entire chat with #AskDDFSkincare.
Dry winter skin giving you the blues? Check out 3 ways to Repair Your Skin Right Now.
One of the biggest beauty wives’s tales around is that pores open and close. While that’s not true, as we age, the natural loss of collagen, dead skin cell buildup, and prolonged exposure to UV rays can result in pores that appear larger. Luckily, DDF®’s Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer Moisturizing Serum keeps pores gone rogue in check. The lightweight primer-meets-serum not only minimizes the appearance of pores, but it also targets fine lines and dryness.
The serum’s strategy is two-fold: First, the light-refracting formula masks pores and wrinkles for a smoother overall look. Second, vitamins B3, B5, E, glycerin and advanced amino peptides hydrate and regenerate the skin’s surface.
Have you tried this product?
PS: Join us October 23 at 4pm ET for a Twitter Chat with DDF’s Lead Research & Development Specialist. She’ll be answering all of your skincare questions—from the how to tackle pores to the right products for your skin type. To participate, tweet your questions with #AskDDFSkincare and you could win one of five Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizers! Don’t forget to follow @birchbox and @ddfskincare to keep up with the conversation. We’re looking forward to chatting with you!
In the 18th century, Marie Antoinette kicked the gossip mill into overdrive by sitting for an official portrait in a corset-less (gasp!) muslin dress. As it turns out, the lightweight fabric’s renown dates back even further, with more uses than even the most tricked-out Swiss Army knife. Don’t believe us? Take a peek at the textile’s unexpectedly fascinating Wikipedia entry for a full rundown.
Nerd alert: One of our favorite things to do is read the customer reviews in the Birchbox Shop. You all are an opinionated bunch—and we like it! We especially adore when you write about your favorite purchases. From time to time, we’ll be highlighting some of your extrasweet product love letters on the blog.
This innovative scrub is formulated to give you professional-quality results at home, thanks to pharmaceutical-grade aluminum oxide crystals that remove dead skin cells and improve texture. And unlike other products, this one eschews sulfates, phthalates, and synthetic chemicals. As if flawless skin weren’t enough, it also leaves behind an invigorating citrus scent. But don’t take our word for it; check out what some of these Dr. Brandt fans had to say:
“Without a doubt, this is the best exfoliator I’ve EVER used! I love the fine crystals - they don’t hurt, but you can feel them exfoliating as you scrub. I also love the tingling fresh feeling you get on your face after you rinse it off. It also rinses cleanly, which is a huge bonus. The price is a bit prohibitive, but this product is MORE than worth it. LOVE IT!”- Becs
"So happy I had this in my box. I had just used my last bit of exfoliating face wash so this was a nice surprise. I love the lemony scent and how my face felt like it was washed with peppermint. It’s a great way to wake up in the morning! My skin felt very clean and soft after using. I actually want to use my points on this one!"- Colby
"I’ve had microdermabrasion done in the doctor’s office, and Dr. Brandt’s product definitely compares well. I like the texture of the cream, and the fragrance is light and fresh. Overall, the finished product is super smooth, glowing, youthful skin!"- Mom2Boys
Customer Reviews let you share your opinion with the Birchbox community.Get the scoop on leaving feedback here!
The doctor is in the Birchbox house! Meet celebrity dermatologist Dr. Fredric Brandt, the man responsible Hollywood’s for most covetable complexions (Gwyneth Paltrow’s glowing visage, for one). We grilled the legendary doc on the one product he’d take to a desert island, the biggest skincare mistake people make, and much more in this month’s Innovator-in-Chief feature.
Want to know more? Join us today, October 16, at 7 p.m. ET for a Twitter chat with Dr. Brandt. He’ll be answering all your burning (well, we hope not literally) skincare questions. To participate, tweet your questions with #AskDrBrandt and follow @birchbox and @drfredricbrandt to keep up with the conversation.
Plus, six lucky participants will be selected to win one of Dr. Brandt’s most buzzed-about products. Don’t be shy! We want to hear from you.
Designed to mimic in-office treatments, dr. brandt® microdermabrasion skin exfoliant gently buffs away dead skin cells, revealing radiant, healthy skin underneath.
Whenever a big season change comes around, we know it’s time for us to overhaul our daily regimens. Which is why we asked some of beauty’s best to share their tips on how we should shake things up with our regularly scheduled beauty lineup. From how to protect your skin to the trick for scoring the longest lashes ever, here’s the insider advice that you won’t want to miss:
1. Try Going Natural
This fall at New York Fashion Week, we asked Juice Beauty founder Karen Behnke to tell us her big predictions for the coming year: “Gentle fruit-based, gluten-free beauty products are going to be a huge trend in 2014.” Heed this savvy founder’s advice and test drive all-natural alternatives like Juice Beauty’s recently launched collection of organic cosmetics. The line uses ingredients like organic açai, goji berries, blueberries, pomegranate, and cranberries to create gorgeous, vivid colors. Our current fave is the Glowing Cheek Color, which eschews parabens, petroleum, and pesticides and has a lovely dewy finish.