Nerd alert: one of our favorite things to do is read the customer reviews in the Birchbox Shop. You all are an opinionated bunch—and we like it! We especially love the love letters you write to your favorite products. (Though we’re still waiting on the haikus and iambic pentameter.) From time to time, we’ll be highlighting extrasweet customer serenades. Next up: a crowd-sourced collection of fashion forward nail colors.
Last September, we teamed up with fashion design duo Ruffian on their very first nail lacquer collection. Ever since, Ruffian’s on-trend Crowdsourced Collection has been winning over legions of fans. Here’s what a few Birchboxers had to say:
"Ruffian? More like smoothian. How was I blissfully unaware about to one of the glossiest, shimmeriest nail polishes ever!? I have the color "Hedgefund," a modest green color—I’d call it a feminine forest green. Love it. Plus, unlike most nail polishes, the wear and tear is at a minimum."—hilarying
"I just applied two coats of Fox Hunt RUFFIAN Nail Lacquer to my fingernails and I am in love. The color is perfect for fall without being pumpkin-y or school-affiliated burnt orange. The lacquer went on smoothly with full coverage and I found the brush easy to use, which is rare for this uncoordinated lefty. My nails look awesome in this color!"—GradysGal
"I love nail polish, but I am hopeless at making it look like the salon, even if I buy top-of-the-line brands. This polish is amazing. I painted my nails quickly before a week sailing in Greece. At the end of the week, this polish had BARELY even chipped!"-Ashley
These fan girls have convinced us—have you tried these miraculously long-lasting polishes?
Have your own product paramour? Pen a love letter to your favorite Birchbox products by leaving a customer review!
Trend Alert: 4 Fall Looks for Your Nails
Dolling up your nails is one of the easiest ways to rock this season’s hottest trends: It’s easy, it’s cheap, and it doesn’t require a commitment if you don’t like it!
Anna Norman, our nail expert go-to, suggests trying out moody tones, matte blacks, gilded tips, and color-blocked patterns for trendy tips this season. Click here to get the looks for yourself and find the perfect polishes for the job.
Get more fall nail inspiration from our amazing team of Birchbloggers.
We’re head over heels for Ruffian, the NYC-based clothing brand that recently launched into beauty—exclusively with Birchbox. We love thee polishes so much, we even asked the Birchbloggers, our hand-picked community of bloggers, to share their own Ruffian Manicure tutorials. Here are some of our favorite looks:
Blogger BRAVENEZZ used Hedge Fund from the crowdsourced collection to make her wild animal print accent nails.
Top 10 Eye-Catching Manis From Spring 2014’s NYFW
The days of over-the-top nail art manis may be behind us, but plenty of designers opted for colors and designs that were memorable at the Spring 2014 shows. Here’s a look at our absolute favorites and get this: so many of these ideas are actually wearable!
- Ruffian: The brand is known for its signature crescent moon mani and this season, nail artist Cheryl Natoli took the look to new heights by extending the darker accent color further up the nail. What’s even cooler? She used only shades from Ruffian’s first lacquer collection, which is exclusive to Birchbox. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Mara Hoffman: Using Hoffman’s trademark prints as inspiration, nail artist Honey for Maybelline created bright orange flourishes that stood out nicely against the nude base color. (Photo: Courtesy of Maybelline)
- Prabal Gurung: Candy-color nails were done best for spring at Prabal Gurung, where nail artist Ana-Maria for Sally Hansen was being mindful to contrast lip and nail colors. (Photo: Courtesy of Sally Hansen)
- Tadashi Shoji: This opalescent matte nail created by Katie Hughes for butter London was such a stunner in large part because of its simplicity. (Photo: Courtesy of Butter)
- Suno: Bright orange digits like these seen at Suno (courtesy of Maybelline) are predicted to be the hottest nail color for spring 2014. (Photo: Courtesy of Maybelline)
- Tibi: If you want to have a go at nail art, but don’t have the steadiest of hands, this look created by JINsoon is right for you. We’re particularly fond of it because the black lines only appear on three fingers on each hand. (Photo: Courtesy of JINsoon)
- Kate Spade: Cap toe shoes were the inspiration for Deborah Lippmann's punchy color-block design at Kate Spade. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Rebecca Minkoff: Since the show was inspired by Frida Kahlo, manicurist Michelle Saunders for Essie decided on a Day of the Dead design. (Photo: Courtesy of essie)
- Cynthia Rowley: To get these blinged out manis, nail artist Casey Herman for Essie used a mishmash of blue, black, and two different sparkly topcoats.(Photo: Courtesy of essie)
- Charlotte Ronson: Nail artist Shelly Burns for Color Club opted for a uniform polka dot design that’s not just adorable, it’s also easy to replicate yourself.
To take a look at other great NYFW trends, click here.
We’ve been planning our dream weddings since we were five years old. So it’s no surprise that we can’t get enough of Lover.ly, a wedding inspiration and e-commerce site that lets you search through pics of swoon-worthy gowns, bouquets, and everything else you need for the big day. Once a week, the ladies behind Lover.ly will be sharing their expert advice for getting through the craziness of the season—whether you’re standing at the altar or enjoying a view of it from the audience.
(Photo by: Nikole Ramsay on Bridal Musings via Lover.ly)
When you’re planning a fall wedding, there’s no rule that says you have to stick to the traditional color palette of red, orange, and yellow. If you want a sophisticated and unexpectedly eye-catching look for your autumn wedding, try incorporating one of the new colors trending this season: deep mossy green. Paired with charcoal, white, silver, and hints of blush, it reminds us of the way the sky looks after a fall thunderstorm. Not sure how to pull this off yourself? Take a peek at a few of our favorite inspiration images below to help fire up your imagination:
Fall is the perfect time to break out of a beauty rut. The seasons are changing and so should your style. We know it’s easy to get stuck wearing the same ponytail and eyeshadow everyday but trying new styles can be very rewarding. Here are four ways to shake up your makeup and hair routines without going overboard:
1. How To: Contour Your Face
Don’t let contouring intimidate you. Birchbox staffer Deepica proves it really is simple to execute. This tutorial will help define your face and make your cheekbones pop while still looking natural.
2. How To: Fill in Your Eyebrows with Benefit Brow Zings
We’re firm believers that filling in your brows should be added to any makeup routine. It adds instant polish to your face, can make you look more awake, and helps frame your eyes.
EXCLUSIVE to Birchbox: The Ruffian Nail Lacquer Collection
A few months ago, we told you that we were working with Ruffian, one of our fave NYC-based fashion brands, on their very first line of nail lacquers. Today, we’re thrilled to announce that the entire collection is now available for purchase exclusively in the Birchbox Shop.
Every single Birchbox subscriber will be getting one of the polishes from the Crowdsourced Collection—a trio of polishes that were voted on by our Facebook fans—in their September box. The hues are unlike anything you’ve ever seen. There’s Delirium, a saturated metallic purple; Fox Hunt, an eye-catching orange with a touch of shimmer; and Hedge Fund, a sophisticated olive foil with a hint of gold.
There’s also the Classics Collection, a set of three timeless hues. In no particular order, there’s Ruffian Red, a high-gloss cherry; Naked, a creamy neutral beige; and Ciré Noir, a smoky black with a sleek finish.
Learn more about what makes these lacquers so special straight from the designers themselves in our video interview with them at their studio. And once you’ve fallen in love with these spectacular colors, nab them here.