It’s hard to believe that today marks the two year anniversary of my college graduation. In celebration, my four best friends and I are planning a reunion trip this Memorial Day weekend to Puerto Rico! I love New York City, but I’m super pumped to lay on a beach with my girlfriends far, far away from the concrete jungle. Here are some of the essentials that I’m bringing along for my trip:
1. COOLA Cucumber Moisturizing SPF 30 for Face
COOLA is my favorite brand for anything SPF related. I’m indian, so I tan quick (understatement)! So it’s super important for me to carry a powerful SPF product when I’m in the sun and this one is great because it doesn’t feel heavy or leave any white residue on your face.
2. Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk
I tend to rock third day hair while on vacation, so carrying a dry shampoo with me is crucial. Klorane’s is great because it also adds texture to my hair—perfect for beachy waves.
Healthy Food Upgrades, A Moroccan Packing List, Birchbox Man’s Birthday, and More: Reading List
We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything on the Birchbox blog and in the magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news you need to read this weekend.
- Small Healthy Food Upgrades That Make a Big Difference: At Birchbox we really love food, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be healthy too. To help us make small tweaks to our diet, we recruited author and nutritionist Tanya Zuckerbrot, who offers five tips to make your diet healthier.
- Packing List: Moroccan Marvels: Our editorial director Bene is currently on holiday in Morocco (jealous!), but before she jetted off, she showed us what she was taking along with her on her ten-day adventure.
- Sneak Peek: Birchbox Man May 2013: It’s Birchbox Man’s 1st birthday! To celebrate, our editors Martin and Kyle hit the couch in their finest duds to talk about May’s assortment and what it means to be all grown up.
- 5 Blush Rules to Break: It can be easy to play it safe when it comes to blush, but maybe it’s time to rethink this oft-overlooked part of our beauty collections and try something new.
Lipstick isn’t only for your lips. Check out these tips from Ops Associate Melanie on how to get three different looks with just one lipstick pencil.
Morocco has been on my travel bucket list for ages, and I finally pulled the trigger this year by planning a 10-day trip to the medieval city of Fes, the small town of Ouirgane in the Atlas Mountains, and the bustling hubbub of Marrakech. Between the souks, the tagines, and the architecture, I have a feeling Morocco and I will get along famously. Here’s what I’m bringing when I hop on a plane tomorrow:
1. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare™ Alpha Beta® Glow Pad
I never go a day without SPF, but that doesn’t mean I want to look like a ghost. These pads from Dr. Gross will give me the hint of a tan, minus the sun damage.
2. Supergoop!® Daily Correct SPF 35 CC Cream
Speaking of SPF, there’s nothing I like better than combining my sun protection with color correction, antioxidants, and light diffusion. This Supergoop! CC Cream packs all those benefits into one product.
We fell hard for Natalie Alcala two years ago, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
Happy first day of Coachella! Here’s a roundup of tried and true beauty products that I’ve packed for 72 hours in the desert.
1. NCLA Nail Wraps in Stephanie’s Galaxy ($16): I’m utterly obsessed with this LA-based nail art company. Not only do these intergalactic wraps satisfy my ongoing passion for all things galaxy-inspired, but they also guarantee chip-free tips for the entire trip.
2. Jouer Matte Moisture Tint ($38): I can’t sing the praises of this tinted moisturizer enough. Not only does it keep my combination oily skin from looking embarrassingly glowy, it also provides ample, SPF-powered coverage throughout the day. (To be extra safe, though, don’t forget to touch up with another SPF during the day!)
I wouldn’t trade New York for any other city, but right about this time of year I start to miss the ocean like whoa. I’m headed to Hawaii this week to visit family and get my fix of palm trees, sand, and spam musubi. (Not kidding—don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.) Here’s what I’m packing for my tropical escape.
1. La Fresh Oil-Free Face Cleanser: I’m a big proponent of face wipes, both at work (key when product-testing) and when traveling. These hydrating wipes have both aloe vera and vitamin E—they’ll come in handy on the 12-hour flight as well as any beach adventures.
Leave it to a social media community manager to create a custom hashtag for her vacation! Our Rachel S. is en route to Mexico to attend her friends’ wedding in Puerta Vallarta. Before she left we took a peak into her toiletries and makeup bags. Here are a few of her favorite products that she brought along:
1. Supergoop: Well, duh. Sun protection is my numero uno concern!
2. Miracle Skin Transformer Treat & Conceal: I’m addicted to this concealer. It’s perfect for hiding under-eye circles (which I hope to get rid of on this trip with a the serious dose of relaxation) and any unexpected blemishes.
We’ve been planning our dream weddings since we were five years old. So it’s no surprise that we can’t get enough of Lover.ly, a wedding inspiration site that lets you search through pics of swoon-worthy gowns, bouquets, and everything else you need for the big W-day. This week, the ladies behind Lover.ly are taking over the blog to share their favorite bridal beauty tips. Check back every day for a new post!
Whether you’re jetting off to the Caribbean or hiding away in a wintery cabin, your honeymoon is the perfect excuse to update your beauty bag with a few special items. Here are a few things that you won’t want to leave out.
The sun-soaked beaches of Anguilla are perfect for honeymooners looking for some privacy. (Photo by: Jen Huang on Inspired By This via Lover.ly)
Next week, I’m heading off to Sweden for a ten-day vacation, and I’m super excited to explore the country for the first time. Aside from hitting up every H&M and Ikea in their native land (kidding), I plan on eating a year’s worth of gravlox and meatballs (not kidding). Since my boyfriend and I will be bouncing back and forth between Stockholm and other cities whose names I can’t yet pronounce, I need to pack light. With this in mind, I’ve whittled down my carry-on stash to the bare essentials that I’ll need to survive a Scandinavian summer. Check out the beauty products and travel gear that made the cut:
Our editor Meredith just jetted off on the ultimate island vacay: Bali. We couldn’t be more jealous of her exotic destination—the closest we’ve ever gotten is Eat, Pray, Love. All week, she’ll be exploring temples, lounging on white sand beaches, and eating plenty of spicy Indonesian food. The only perils? Heat, humidity, dehydration, and, oh yeah, getting sand in everything. Here are the team’s suggestions for what to take on an exotic adventure—whether it’s to Bali or beyond!
KOR Aura Water Bottle: ”When you’re traveling a long way, staying hydrated on the plane is critical. Over-spending at airport concession stands, however, is not. That’s why I’d recommend packing a reusable bottle in your carry on. Just don’t fill the bottle until you’ve passed security!” -Caroline
We told you we had a lot of weddings this summer! This weekend Beauty Partnership Director Leah’s tied the knot in Philadelphia. Now she’s jetting off to the Seychelles Islands for a honeymoon getaway with her new hubby. We adore Leah for introducing us to tons of new beauty brands and for her always cute and preppy style. Click through to find out which multi-tasking products she’s taking with her in her suitcase!