Nicki Minaj performing “Freedom” at last night’s American Music Awards. (Photo: washingtonpost.com)
While the American Music Awards don’t have the same pomp and circumstance as the Grammy’s, the show is still a favorite to watch since it’s essentially one epic concert filled with the best songs and performers from the last year. Last night’s 40th Anniversary edition was no exception, with rocking sets by everyone from Carrie Underwood and Usher to Nicki Minaj and K-pop star Psy (with a special guest). For your entertainment, the five performances from last night that we’re playing on repeat this morning:
Happy Mother’s Day Weekend! We hope you’re thinking of all the amazing women in your life and, if you’re lucky, spending time with them. (We know we’re thinking of all our awesome Moms.) This week’s round-up includes ’90s-inspired nail polishes and a brand new Bond No. 9 fragrance—the perfect amount fun to start the weekend. See you on Monday!
- Two of our favorite beauty founders (no, not Hayley and Katia!), Jean and Jane Ford of Benefit, screened a documentary, Glamouriety, at Tribeca Film Festival. The film actually started as a training video for new Benefit employees about the history of the company. Now, the film will be seen by Benefit employees before eventually making it to the Cannes Film Festival. [WWD]
- Remember those amazing hypercolor t-shirts from the 90s? Some new polishes change color in the sun, too, and they’re totally putting us in a nostalgic mood this afternoon. [She Finds]
- Nicki Minaj’s new commercial for Pepsi launched this week and features the starlet giving a concert while two fans run through a beach scene, a tomato fight, and Betsey Johnson’s fashion show. Kind of makes you want to drink a Pepsi, huh? [Elle]
- Nail Rock, one of our favorite stick-on nail polish companies, has collaborated with three designers for Australia’s Fashion Week. The designs are too cute for words and, best of all, you can actually get your hands on some. [Beauty High]
- Not to be outdone by President Obama, indie fragrance company Bond No. 9 will release a new fragrance called I Love New York for Marriage Equality on July 24th, one year after the Marriage Equality Act took effect in New York State. It will be a unisex scent with woody-spicy notes of mandarin, classic rose, jasmine, sandalwood, and amber. [Fashion etc]
Find our favorite products from Benefit in the Birchbox Shop.
With everything going on last night (Downton Abbey! Bloglovin’ Awards! Sleep!), you’re forgiven if you opted out of the Grammy’s. Lucky for you, we took copious notes. Herewith, our not-at-all-comprehensive cheat sheet to last night’s awards.
All Hail the Queen: Adele was, hands down, the night’s biggest winner. Not only did the British songwriter and singer go six for six, but she also delivered a powerhouse performance and rocked a cheeky Christian Louboutin mani.
Wish She’d Go Away: Nicki Minaj. Between her Little Red Riding Hood Goes to the Vatican getup and her bizarre exorcism-inspired performance, we’re so over it. Can’t she go back to boom, badoom, boom?
Notable Quotables is a weekly series featuring a great quote. Whether it’s the founder of a beloved beauty brand, an eccentric makeup artist making headlines, or even a super-stylish celebrity, our favorite tastemakers always have something worth sharing. Today’s quote is from Nicki Minaj, who spoke with Elle about her wigs, eccentric makeup, favorite products and more.
My eyes, because they’re the one thing I need my makeup artist to do. I don’t have the patience, my hands shake, and I mess everything up. So my makeup artist has to do my brows and lids and lashes. Everyone knows I’m a lash girl by now. When I don’t have my lashes, I feel naked.
—Nicki Minaj to Elle regarding the most high maintenance part of her beauty routine.
Even if you’re not a makeup nut like Nicki, a colorful liner from stila will give you a fresh new look.
Happy Friday, Birchboxers! The cool weather has finally taken hold of the Northeast, but before you head to the orchard for apple picking (or, more importantly, to the store to find your Halloween costume), catch up on this week’s beauty news.
- Peeking into a model’s makeup collection is a dream come true. This ITG feature on Coco Rocha, model extraordinaire, is an illuminating look at her beauty closet and favorite products. [Into The Gloss]
- Speaking of models, Kate Moss, longtime spokespoerson for Rimmel, celebrated her ten year anniversary with the brand by creating a lipstick collection. There are 15 shades, but we already love 001, the red shade Moss sports in the ad campaign. The line has already hit stores in the UK, but should land on our shores in January. [WWD]
- This is from a few weeks ago, but we just had to mention it. The always inspiring The Coveteur ran a feature on Revlon’s global artistic director, Gucci Westman. Click through to see pictures of her home…and her handbag collection. [The Coveteur]
- If you’re a fan of OPI’s celebrity collections — Justin Bieber, The Muppets, Katy Perry, the Kardashians — you’ll be excited to hear that a new one will launch in January 2012. Want to guess with who? Drumroll please…it’s Nicki Minaj! [Fashionista]
- We must admit, we’re not always satisfied with the coverage from our concealer. But after watching this ad for Dermablend Pro, we’re now officially in need this heavy duty makeup. The clip features Zombie Boy, a model who is covered head-to-toe in very dark tattoos, and the product literally makes them vanish. Honestly, the transformation will blow you away. [The Gloss]
Last night’s VMAs had some moments we could have predicted. Adele gave a flawless performance of “Someone Like You” from her album “21,” Nicki Minaj showed up in a technicolor outfit, and the Hunger Games clip was far too short to satisfy our curiosity. Nothing shocking there. Still, there were quite a few unexpected twists, from big pregnancy news to some very touching tributes. What do you think was the biggest surprise of the night?