Happy Mother’s Day Weekend! We hope you’re thinking of all the amazing women in your life and, if you’re lucky, spending time with them. (We know we’re thinking of all our awesome Moms.) This week’s round-up includes ’90s-inspired nail polishes and a brand new Bond No. 9 fragrance—the perfect amount fun to start the weekend. See you on Monday!
- Two of our favorite beauty founders (no, not Hayley and Katia!), Jean and Jane Ford of Benefit, screened a documentary, Glamouriety, at Tribeca Film Festival. The film actually started as a training video for new Benefit employees about the history of the company. Now, the film will be seen by Benefit employees before eventually making it to the Cannes Film Festival. [WWD]
- Remember those amazing hypercolor t-shirts from the 90s? Some new polishes change color in the sun, too, and they’re totally putting us in a nostalgic mood this afternoon. [She Finds]
- Nicki Minaj’s new commercial for Pepsi launched this week and features the starlet giving a concert while two fans run through a beach scene, a tomato fight, and Betsey Johnson’s fashion show. Kind of makes you want to drink a Pepsi, huh? [Elle]
- Nail Rock, one of our favorite stick-on nail polish companies, has collaborated with three designers for Australia’s Fashion Week. The designs are too cute for words and, best of all, you can actually get your hands on some. [Beauty High]
- Not to be outdone by President Obama, indie fragrance company Bond No. 9 will release a new fragrance called I Love New York for Marriage Equality on July 24th, one year after the Marriage Equality Act took effect in New York State. It will be a unisex scent with woody-spicy notes of mandarin, classic rose, jasmine, sandalwood, and amber. [Fashion etc]
Find our favorite products from Benefit in the Birchbox Shop.
Nail art is a Birchbox obsession. One of the first places we look for inspiration is Glitter, She Wrote, Anna Norman’s cheery, imaginative blog, where she shares her gorgeous designs and muses about life in the Big Apple. This week, Anna takes us inside her nail guru world, and will show us how to get gorgeous, DIY art on our fingertips.
They may be small, but that doesn’t mean your nails can’t make a wow-inducing fashion statement. Try one of these fresh, on-trend ideas to add some serious pizzazz on prom night.
The caviar manicure is becoming one of the hottest new nail trends, so it’s a perfect choice for prom-bound fashionistas. Tiny “pearls” stick to wet nail polish to create a fashion-forward 3D effect. UK brand Ciaté will begin selling its Caviar Manicure Kit in three colors (rainbow, black pearls, and mother of pearl) at Sephora next month. For an inexpensive D.I.Y. version, pick up some microbeads at your local craft store and sprinkle them over wet polish. You wouldn’t wait until prom day to try on your dress for the first time, so I suggest giving these nails a trial run before the big day, too.
New Yorkers may be known for dressing in head to toe black, but anything goes when it comes to our makeup and nails. So you won’t be surprised to learn that our office is buzzing about a bold new stick-on trend. It started with nail appliques, but these days edgy fashionistas are sporting everything from winged liner strips to celeb-endorsed temporary lip tattoos (spoiler alert: Birchbox subscribers, some of you will be getting these awesome products in your future boxes). We took to the streets with three staffers from the Ops team to document this fun fad. Click through to see our snapshots!
Operations associate, Loren, has a thing for nails — and we can’t blame her. We love reading about new finishes and fun techniques, so we thought we’d give her a weekly slot on our blog to wax poetic about all things manicure (and pedicure!) related. Check back every Thursday for Nailing It, Birchbox’s dedicated polish series.
For those of you who are like me — crazily over-booked for the holiday season — time is of the essence!
Luckily, I discovered a nail strip that makes it easy to look fabulous at each and every one of my holiday shindigs. Nail Rock, a UK-based company, has a series of super-easy, super-funky nail wraps that are the perfect finishing touch for any holiday outfit.
Nail wraps only differ from nail strips in that they’re actually stickers and they’re not made from polish. But other than that, they follow the same application process: Buff your polish-free digits, make sure those cuticles are pushed back, and stick them on. Voilà! You’ve got a mani ready for an entrance.
While I was skeptical about these nail stickers at first, I tried them last weekend when I had multiple holiday parties but no time to paint my nails, and I can’t tell you how many compliments I got for the Furry Cheetah print I picked! Just to warn you, these strips are not for the timid — each and every style is bold, unique, and will attract attention. Nail Rock is perfect for a girl on-the-go, and even more perfect for one who likes to have fun.
What are your nail go-to’s this holiday season?
Not ready for a nail sticker? Try the perfect in-between by testing out nail strips made from polish, first.