For the longest time, I didn’t know how to wear blush—in fact, I was afraid of it. My blushophobia had me convinced that I would end up with two red circles on my cheeks that would run and smear down my face. It was a shame because I knew on an abstract level that blush (when used right) can liven up a complexion faster than any other makeup staple. Luckily, this story has a happy ending: I discovered Cargo’s Water Resistant Blush, which some of you will be getting in your boxes this month. Now I’ve been showing off my cheek color every day—and I haven’t been felt the need to check a mirror every two seconds.
Welcome to December! This week we’re reading about the most attractive cities in the US, the latest celebrity to create a collection with MAC (isn’t there a new collaboration every week?), and ways to calm down our freaked out skin. Plus, learning about a new organic skincare line from a model and laughing at crazy vintage beauty ads. Keep reading for our favorite links this week.
- Travel and Leisure has released its annual reader survey of the cities with the most attractive residents. Among them are Charleston, Denver, and Miami. Our home town, New York, didn’t even crack the top ten. Hmph, obviously a mistake. [Huffington Post]
- Daphne Guinness designed a collection for MAC! The 21 piece collection will be available December 26th through February 9th and looks like it’s going to inspire quite a few post-holiday shopping sprees. [Refinery29]
- It’s funny how much beauty standards have changed over the years. The Gloss dug up some vintage ads extolling the virtue of adding few extra pounds, something we don’t think we’ll be seeing in our magazines anytime soon. [The Gloss]
- Sometimes, no matter how many awesome products you’re using, stress and other emotional problems get in the way of clear skin. This slideshow of some common issues and their solutions will no doubt come in handy this season. [Allure]
- Speaking of clear skin, model (and Orlando Bloom’s Wife) Miranda Kerr has got it. Kerr, who studied nutrition before her career took off, will now be releasing an organic skincare line, Kora, in the US. It’s apparently been available since 2009 in Australia and is just making its way over here. We can’t wait to try it! [Vogue]
Take a look at our favorite product picks in the Birchbox Shop today.
Miranda Kerr is back in action and she has coconuts to thank! From eating them as a nourishing snack to incorporating the ingredient into her beauty regimen, she swears that coconut is the ultimate multitasker: “I drink coconut water, eat coconut meat fresh from the fruit, and even use coconut oil on my body. Actually, coconut oil is great for removing makeup, too.” We’re officially inspired and found out that some of our favorite products are also employing this super fruit. You might not look like this Victoria’s Secret Angel after using them, but there’s no harm in trying.
Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo ($6.99): This coconut milk-infused shampoo has a great smell and leaves hair feeling silky smooth. I love it for summer when I’m ready to take a vacation from salon shampoos.
L’Occitane Verbena Harvest Body Lotion ($24): When using this refreshing rub, coconut oil will soothe dry areas and lock in moisture for seriously smooth skin.
NARS Body Glow ($59): One more reason to love NARS (as if there aren’t enough already), this product uses coconut oil-soaked Tiare flower buds to guarantee you a radiant summer shimmer.
Burt’s Bees Coconut Foot Cream ($9): Don’t forget, your feet need loving, too! Thanks to a marriage between soothing natural extracts and coconut oil, your soles will never feel so smooth. A fantastic purchase, especially right now, to get your feet summer ready!
Find even more products that use natural oils and extracts in our Birchbox Shop!