Happy Friday, Birchboxers! The cool weather has finally taken hold of the Northeast, but before you head to the orchard for apple picking (or, more importantly, to the store to find your Halloween costume), catch up on this week’s beauty news.
- Peeking into a model’s makeup collection is a dream come true. This ITG feature on Coco Rocha, model extraordinaire, is an illuminating look at her beauty closet and favorite products. [Into The Gloss]
- Speaking of models, Kate Moss, longtime spokespoerson for Rimmel, celebrated her ten year anniversary with the brand by creating a lipstick collection. There are 15 shades, but we already love 001, the red shade Moss sports in the ad campaign. The line has already hit stores in the UK, but should land on our shores in January. [WWD]
- This is from a few weeks ago, but we just had to mention it. The always inspiring The Coveteur ran a feature on Revlon’s global artistic director, Gucci Westman. Click through to see pictures of her home…and her handbag collection. [The Coveteur]
- If you’re a fan of OPI’s celebrity collections — Justin Bieber, The Muppets, Katy Perry, the Kardashians — you’ll be excited to hear that a new one will launch in January 2012. Want to guess with who? Drumroll please…it’s Nicki Minaj! [Fashionista]
- We must admit, we’re not always satisfied with the coverage from our concealer. But after watching this ad for Dermablend Pro, we’re now officially in need this heavy duty makeup. The clip features Zombie Boy, a model who is covered head-to-toe in very dark tattoos, and the product literally makes them vanish. Honestly, the transformation will blow you away. [The Gloss]
Photos: WWD; Bellasugar
Happy Friday and welcome to another reading list! NYFW is finally over, which means we can get back to a normal (whatever that means) schedule and catch up on some of the stories we didn’t have time for last week.
- FIT is paying homage to fashion icon Daphne Guinness with an exhibit starting today and running through Jan 7th. If you’ve ever wondered what’s going on in her closet, now’s your chance to find out. [WWD]
- If you think the fashion week beauty should be left on the runway, think again. Here are 10 beauty looks straight from Lincoln Center that prove fashion –y beauty can be wearable too. [bellasugar]
- Have you seen the Lanvin Fall 2011 campaign movie with Karen Elson, Raquel Zimmermann and Alber Elbaz dance to Pitbull’s I Know You Want Me? Videographer David Sherman redid the video with people hanging outside Lincoln Center and it’s even more fun than the original. [Styleite]
- It’s Friday, which means we’ll be putting on some eyeliner before heading out to happy hour with the girls. This guide to four different types of liner is helping us sort through our makeup bag for the perfect option. [TheBeautyDepartment]
- We’ve seen more pictures of hair and makeup from the runway than we’d care to remember this week but there’s an easy way to cut through the clutter and find the standout looks. Head over to Refinery 29 to “rate the runway.” [Refinery29]
Now that cold weather is moving in, pick up some new items from our shop to help you transition to fall.
New trend alert (again): colorful zinc oxide sunscreen. Photo from Kiss and Tell.
TGIF, am-I-right? This weekend we’re all about making the most of the end of summer and also scoping out some new fall trends. Here’s what’s on our radar before we skedaddle out of the office this afternoon.
- A new study suggests that caffeine, and in turn coffee, helps reduce the risk of skin cancer. If this is true, that gigantic coffee I consumed this morning probably just saved me. This also means there’s another extremely valid reason to eat chocolate every day. Score! [Styleist]
- In addition to filling up on coffee, we’ll be loading on the sunscreen for the rest of the summer (and fall, and winter), especially after finding out that 80s staple Zinka (that colorful zinc oxide sunscreen) is still around. Better yet, it’s making a comeback. There’s still time to break it out at end of summer concerts and the beach! [BellaSugar]
- It’s official; the makeup look of the season is the “cat eye.” Whether you’re going big and bold with smoldering shadow or subtle with a sexy winged line, it’s time to sharpen your kohl liner and brush up on your liquid liner skillz. Our winged liner tutorial will prep you for the basics! [T Magazine]
- There seems to be a wide range of reactions to this video of Anne Hathaway rapping (in the style of Lil Wayne, naturally) about papparazzi on Conan. Is it awkward? Embarrasing? Endearing? Maybe all three. [Refinery29]
- Abercrombie tried to pull a funny pr stunt and offered to pay The Situation to stop wearing their clothes because “this association is contrary to the aspirational nature of our brand.” Apparently it backfired. [WSJ]
- Last but not least, Lauren Conrad’s website, The Beauty Department, has great tips for wearing a monochromatic beauty look — think pink lips, cheeks, and eye shadow. Ideal for lazy girls and makeup on the go. [The Beauty Department]
Shop for our favorite monochromatic makeup in the Birchbox Shop.
It’s a scorcher in New York right now and there are no signs of it letting up until Monday! While some of us will be hanging out at the beach all weekend, others will be holed up inside with the air conditioning on full blast. For those readers, we present this week’s must-know list:
- Fans of Bethenny Frankel and Skinnygirl Margarita have another reason to grab a drink this weekend. WWD reports that Frankel is releasing a new skincare line, appropriately called Skinnygirl Face & Body Solutions and Skinnygirl Mommy. You’ll have to wait until November to pick up the products at select Wal-Marts.
- If you’ve ever been intrigued by paper hats and cut outs, you must check out these two girls from Paper-Cut-Project. They’ve teamed up with kate spade ny to create amazing windswept wigs for two NYC window displays, all made completely out of paper. R29 has the deets.
- You’ve probably heard about this one but it’s just too juicy to resist sharing. Kim Kardashian is suing Old Navy over a series of ads that feature a model that bears a resemblance to her. There’s quite a debate over whether the model actually looks like Kim (or more like Nicole Scherzinger), whether Old Navy intentionally cast her to take advantage of the resemblance, and whether Kim is entitled to the $15-20 million she’s suing for. Fashionista also clued us in to another fun twist: apparently the model is currently dating Kim’s ex, Reggie Bush!
- In e-commerce news, NARS just launched a brand new website this week! It’s preeeettyyy. In addition to some fancy new product images, they also have a section called “World of Nars,” which gives more insight into the history of the brand and Francois Nars himself. Check out the site and WWD’s feature about the relaunch.
- Ad page figures for next month’s September magazine issues were released this week and Vogue and InStyle are in second place respectively. More interesting than that: apparently Anna Wintour and Vogue are working on a brand-new website, to be launched in December. Styleite speculates as to what the focus of the site will be but Wintour and any involved parties are keeping the truth under wraps (for the moment anyway).
Find our favorite NARS products in the Birchbox Shop. And don’t forget if you spend more than $100 today you will receive a free TATCHA blotting papers pack. Use code HEATWAVE.
Photo By George Chinsee for WWD
Phew, this week flew by! It seems like just yesterday we were getting ready to ship out June Birchboxes and we’re already gearing up for a fabulous July here in the office. This is what we’ve been reading up on all week long!
- Up until now, if you wanted breakfast at Tiffany’s, you pretty much had to stand outside in a crowd of tourists. But as of yesterday, you can eat breakfast, sleep, and do pretty much any thing else you want in a one-of-a-kind Tiffany Suite at the St. Regis New York. The dining room, in particular, was designed to resemble Tiffany’s signature blue box with a huge chandelier representing a jewel. Bling! Read all about it in WWD.
- Refinery29’s editor, Connie, has to be one of the cutest! Today she has a great video tutorial for getting leopard-print nails—easy and quick.
- Since the Royal Wedding, fascinators have really been in the spotlight. We’re pretty jealous of this super-techy one that The Gloss picked up on, although we most likely wouldn’t be wearing it on our head if we owned it.
- We love a good slideshow, especially when it’s giving us ten easy, sexy hairstyles like this one from Allure. While most are classics, it’s still nice to be reminded that we don’t need to wear our hair in a ponytail everyday.
- BeautyHigh has a great roundup of the ten beauty tumblrs they think you should be following. We’d add a few including Burgers and Nails, EvaChen212 and Beautylish (and of course our own!). What do you think? Are there any others that they missed?
Be sure to check out great summer finds in the Birchbox Shop!
Photo of Lady Gaga via Bellasugar.com
Happy 3-day weekend! Even though you should really be outside enjoying the weather this weekend, we do have some amazing links for you…just in case you’re stuck inside and need to catch up on your reading.
First up, Stylist has coverage from the FiFi awards (aka the Oscars of fragrance), which took place yesterday. Among the award winners were Mary J Blige, Fergie, and Halle Berry, who took home the first Elizabeth Taylor Fragrance Celebrity of the Year award.
- This week we discovered a new Tumblr and website that are have both quickly become new faves. Fashionista introduced us to Burgers and Nails, a Tumblr that’s exactly what it sounds like- pictures of burgers and nails. In a word: awesome. Actress/musician Zooey Deschanel, producer Sophia Rossi and writer/Internet sensation Molly McAleer also launched a new site this week called Hello Giggles and we’re hooked. It’s basically a hub of all things cute.
- WWD has a great little feature today about Laurice Rahme, the founder of Bond No. 9, the fragrance company, which despite having a tiny budget, has become the number one seller at Saks Fifth Avenue.
- And finally, just for fun- BellaSugar has pictures from Lady Gaga’s elaborate costume changes during her Good Morning America concert. We’re thinking our next video tutorial might have to be “How To: Talon Shaped Nails.”
Have a great weekend!
In need of a little Memorial Day treat for yourself? Visit the Birchbox Shop!
Photo By: Tom Munro for WWD
- This is pretty scary and sad- The Cut, Beauty High, and Jezebel (and everyone else) are all buzzing about a mother who injected her 8-year-old daughter with Botox to get rid of her “wrinkles.” It’s safe to say everyone’s pretty unanimously outraged about this and the latest update is that the mother is being investigated by Child Protective Services.
- Kelly Bensimon, Real Housewife and occasional crazypants, filmed a YouTube video to demonstrate her new DIY hair mask, which includes olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and yes, vodka. While we do love a good salt spray for achieving beachy waves, I think we’ll stick with Phyto 7 when our hair needs a boost.
- Lucky picked their favorite beauty products of the past decade. We love the YSL Gloss in Frozen Cherry but somehow didn’t predict J Lo Glow would make the cut. Are we missing something?
- Thinking about going red a la Scarlet Johansson or Blake Lively this summer? Elle has tips from their hairstylists on avoiding bad hair days.
- Emma Watson spoke with WWD about her work with Lancome and their new fragrance, Tresor Mighnight Rose, available in September. Did you know she was born in France? She’s also growing out her pixie cut to a bob.
Check out our favorite beauty products (from this decade) in the Birchbox Shop.
Image of The Man Repeller from IntoTheGloss.com
We’re just two days away from Mother’s Day! Have you gotten your gift yet? We hope so but if not, you still have tomorrow to find something fabulous. Brush up on your Friday afternoon reading with these tasty delights and have a great weekend!
- Refinery29 editors rounded up their favorite beauty buys for this summer. As usual, we’re swooning over global editor, Connie Wang’s picks.
- In a perfect synthesis of fashion and beauty bloggy-ness, Into the Gloss has a feature about The Man Repeller herself, Leandra Medine. Check out all that NARS!
- Speaking of NARS, to celebrate the release of Founder Francois Nars’ new book, Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself, NARS is running a new contest and a chance for fans to show off their pictures at makeupyourmind.com. Learn new techniques and demonstrate your makeup artist skillz to win big.
- Allure’s Daily Beauty Reporter answers an important question today: do you really need different makeup to go with a new hair color? A resounding yes is the answer from Editorial Assistant Sophia Panych.
- One of our favorites this week is from Style.com — and it’s all about celebrating moms! Click through for quotes from some of our favorite makeup artists and beauty gurus.
Shop for some last minute Mother’s Day gifts in the Birchbox Shop.
Photo by Teri Lyn Fisher for Oh Joy.
Happy Earth Day! As you know we’ve got eco on the brain this month but this week was also Passover and Easter Weekend, which means…spring is on the way! (And Cadbury Creme Eggs, of course.) It’s the perfect time to experiment with some new makeup and an eco-friendly routine.
- Fashionista has a slideshow of the best Easter Egg-inspired Makeup Colors to try. If you ever wanted an excuse to wear pastels…this is it! And, for our more crafty readers, Oh Joy, has the prettiest inspiration images of Easter eggs that we’ve seen this year. Who’s up for dying some eggs this weekend?
- Refinery29 has a timely roundup of their favorite ways to get green right now. Apparently we should all be drinking boxed wine instead of beer…good to know!
- Blisstree tried out a natural skincare ingredient we’re unfamiliar with: Charcoal. We’re intrigued!
- NAAG, Agy Deyn’s blog, has a cure for Seasonal Effective Disorder in case you’re still suffering from a lack of nice weather: Korres Shower Gel! It’s basically a Greek vacation in a bottle and we have to agree.
- Not to toot our own horn, but we called it – hair feathers have been recognized by the New York Times as a trend! If you’re still holding out, grab an extension now.
- WhoWhatWear has expert picks from makeup artist Erin Lee Smith of her favorite eco beauty products. We’ve been dying to try Jane Iredale too!
Treat yourself this weekend with some products that are good for your skin, and the earth!
It’s Friday once again and we’re ready for some pampering this weekend! We’ve had Birchbox Brand Relationship Manager Alta blogging all week long about baths, making us crave spa treatments and question our commitment to showers. On top of that, we’re cleaning our entire office this afternoon in preparation for new furniture and decorations arriving Monday. Definitely ready for a reboot!
- At the top of our minds this week was the sad news that Elizabeth Taylor passed away on Wednesday. A beauty icon throughout her illustrious career, she will be missed. Among the hundreds of thoughtful posts looking back on her career, we particularly enjoyed Buzzfeed’s 100 Beautiful Pictures of Elizabeth Taylor.
- Fashionista just released a short list of their favorite beauty websites, including some of our own faves. This is the first in a series to cover the best beauty websites in different categories. Can’t wait to see the lists in the next few weeks.
- Katy Perry usually has some pretty crazy makeup going on but her face and hair in her upcoming ‘E.T.’ video take the cake. FashionEtc has a closeup and you can get the look yourself after watching this YouTube tutorial.
- There were a couple of big deals in the beauty market this week; namely, Revlon’s acquisition of Mirage Cosmetics (owner of Sinful Colors polish) and Walgreens’ acquisition of Drugstore.com. WWD has the coverage.
- Finally, shout out to Matt Field for introducing our office to this 50-minute remix for the weekend.
To pamper yourself this weekend, take a look at all the options in the Birchbox Shop.