We fell hard for Natalie Alcala two years ago, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
Drew Barrymore is Hollywood’s original manic pixie dream girl. From nailing classic rebel roles in films like Mad Love to defining quintessential ’90s style before it was a thing (I could scan this blog all day), the actress is in a league of her own. Which is why I was over the moon when I heard she was speaking at this year’s Lucky FABB conference in LA.
If you live in LA, you are one lucky chica. And not just because you enjoy sunny weather year round, either. You also have easy access to one of our new favorite places: the very cute, very fun Blushington Makeup and Beauty Lounge.
Despite spending five years working at a travel magazine, I have always been a pretty slapdash packer. I know the tricks — I just rarely use them. (I’m also pretty bad with airline miles and rewards programs, just in case you were wondering.) But I recently discovered a brand that has inspired me to step up my packing: Tili Bags. They’re simple but genius: heavy duty zip and seal bags printed in an array of festive patterns. They come in two sizes: small, which is perfect for toiletries, jewelry, belts, etc., and large, which fits rolled-up clothing perfectly. Thanks to these little bags, I’m heading to L.A. this afternoon with a very neatly packed suitcase. See evidence above!
Also in my suitcase: My don’t-go-anywhere-without-it Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint, which recently won an Allure Best in Beauty award. Try it and you’ll never go back.
Who has packing tips for me? My overstuffed suitcase.
Ok, I’m not actually going to Hollywood. But I am going to L.A. (weather permitting, fingers crossed) for a video shoot with a few of our brand partners. Assuming I get off the ground (again, knock on wood), here’s what I’m bringing.
1. Amika mini hair dryer: This is part of Amika’s Giraffe Go Go Travel Set, which we’re adding to the shop in September. Besides the too-cute print, this little guy is powerful enough to dry my hair in under ten minutes.
2. New Balance 10: Part of New Balance’s new Minimus line, these trail sneaks are extremely light with a semi-stiff, flexi sole. I feel like Flash Gordon in them, even if I move more like a snail.
3. Tanya Anguiniga Studio Rope Bracelet: Katia ordered this amazingly oversize bracelet for me off Fab (not avail anymore, sorry!) and at first, I thought it was way too big. I was obviously wrong. It’s amazing. (Also amazing: Fab.)
4. TSA-compliant makeup bag: All of my current essentials, and then some: Dr. Jart Beauty Balm; One Love Organics Easy Does It Cleanser; Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint; and more.
5. Warby Parker Prestons: We had a fun trunk show/happy hour with the Warby Park kids last week and I swear the entire BB team now owns either Preston glasses or Everett sunnies. I feel smarter just wearing mine.
6. J. Crew belt: Can’t go anywhere without a skinny metallic belt.
P.S. Completely unrelated, but I’m loving Deborah Lippmann’s Lara’s Theme — a juicy orange that’s for the last few weeks of summer!
I’m heading to L.A. tonight for a quick trip. As it turns out, I’ve picked the absolute worst weekend to go westward: starting Friday, the 405 will be closed for over two days. Still, I’m planning to make the most of Carmaggedon. Come hell or back-to-back traffic, I will get myself to farmers markets and the ocean. I have priorities, you know. I’m armed with Of a Kind’s extremely helpful L.A. recs, plus these carry-on helpers.
Nuxe Huile Prodigieuser Multi-Usage Dry Oil: I’ve always dreamed of being one of those impossibly chic women you see strolling through airports in their slim cut jeans and oversize sunglasses, toting a Goyard bag with a French Vogue peeking out. That will never be me. But I imagine women like that pack products like Nuxe’s Parisian-chic dry oil, which gives arms and legs a pretty sheen, and can be mixed with foundation to make it more luminizing.
RMS Lip2Cheek in Smile: I use this creamy coral shade on my cheeks and eyelids to give my face some color. Bonus: No need to bring a blush brush.
One Love Organics Easy Does it Cleanser: I discovered this waterless cleanser a couple months ago and have been hooked since. This concentrated wash foams up nicely and gives my skin a fresh, never dry, feeling.
Yumi Kim Kalyca Romper: My first job in New York was working for Yumi Kim designer Kim Phan. I’ve been wearing her printed silk pieces ever since—it’s a rare day when I’m not decked out in Yumi Kim. This is my latest favorite—a breezy floral romper named after my friend Kalyca!
Jouer Creme Eyeshadow in Cashmere: This L.A.-based line is perfect for traveling because all the products come in compacts that lock together (think Legos). In addition to my never-leave-home-without-it Luminizing Moisture Tint, I’m bringing this pretty taupe shadow.