Mascara is one of those products that’s a total game-changer. Great formulas can immediately make your eyes appear brighter, wider and more awake without leaving behind telltale smudges—and for that reason it’s one of the must-have products on every Birchbox staffer’s desk. But eyelashes come in all varieties—some are short and thick, some are long and thin—which is why we asked five team members with different lash types to tell us their top mascara picks.
Normal: IT Cosmetics Hello Lashes
"I’ve recently fallen in love with the It Cosmetics formula. It doesn’t smudge or flake and a few coats makes my lashes full and thick. Also, the lash ball at the tip of the wand makes getting my lower lashes so much easier." —Meredith Stebbins, Editor and Senior Manager, Traffic & Trends
We’re calling it the Mad Men Joan effect—redheads are taking over the beauty world. (Photo: 15minutebeauty.com)
We’ve always wondered if blondes really do have more fun, and a recent L’Oréal Paris survey has answered our ponderings. The beauty brand polled 1,000 respondents on Facebook to dig into the nitty-gritty of what our hair shades—blonde, red, and brunette—say about us, and we were pleasantly surprised by the results.
This weekend we’re in the mood to try new things: new nail art, new products from Japan, and even a new way to pick out our makeup. Lucky for us (and you!), our favorite sites have some ideas.
We love nail art inspired by fashion—especially when it’s something we actually might be able to achieve ourselves. This lovely ombre plus lace version is inspired by the Chanel Resort 2012 collection. Image: Beauty Blitz
- Fashionista revealed their five favorite Japanese drugstore beauty products. We’ll be placing our orders this weekend. Who knew Japanese Q-Tips were so much better than ours? [Fashionista]
- The Beth Ditto and MAC collaboration is available now. The polka-dotted ad is too cute and the makeup looks almost as fun as Ditto herself. [Fashion Etc]
- Speaking of Chanel, She Finds has all the details on their summer makeup collection, Bombay Express. It will be released this month and features loads and loads of gold. [She Finds]
- L’Oreal Paris just created a new iPhone app that helps you easily match your makeup to your outfit. In addition to making it look totally useful, their demo video stars the French and lovely Inès de la Fressange. [Fast Co. Create]
- We’re big fans of the spray tan. If you’re going to insist on getting tan, fake is the only way to go. Looks like Mark Wahlberg shares our opinion because he was just spotted getting a custom spray on his balcony. [The Gloss]
Getting a spray tan is no excuse to slack on the SPF application. Shop our favorite sun-protecting products this weekend.
L’Oreal Paris has just named 18 year-old model Barbara Palvin their newest ambassador. Palvin will make her debut for the brand as the print and television face of a new lipstick, Rouge Caresse, starting this month. Speaking to WWD, Cyril Chapuy, the global brand president of L’Oréal Paris, said “he was struck by Palvin’s ‘strong character and self-assurance,’” and called her “a very promising supermodel with a fascinating personality, [a] fresh and elegant beauty with a great sense of humor and astonishing maturity.” He continued, “I think she has this incredible potential to become a household name.”