Top 10 Most Inspired Makeup Looks at NYFW
Usually when we’re backstage at fashion week, we gravitate towards makeup that’s exaggerated or particularly bold, and typically that means it isn’t very real-world friendly. For spring 2014, however, most of what we loved could easily be translated into a more standard day-to-day or evening out look. After much consideration, here are our top picks that we can’t wait to test out ourselves.
- Marchesa: Who says you have to wear light lip colors in the spring and summer? Global Artistic Director for Revlon, Gucci Westman, bent the seasonal rules (bravo!) by applying a deep purple to lips. (Photo: Courtesy of Revlon)
- Rag & Bone: Another great lip color and another look by Gucci Westman, the citrus pouts at Rag & Bone had every beauty expert predicting this would be the “it” hue for next year. (Photo: Courtesy of Revlon)
- Jason Wu: A picture may be worth a thousand words, but this image doesn’t do the eye makeup at Jason Wu justice. Diane Kendal for Lancôme achieved shimmering rose gold lids that were both romantic and dramatic. (Photo: Courtesy of Kerastase)
- DKNY: The matte, almost stained orange pouts really stood out at DKNY. To get this particular look, artist Charlotte Willer for Maybelline first applied a nude lipstick to act as a base and make the orange really pop. (Photo: Courtesy of Maybelline)
- Cynthia Rowley: Given that Cynthia herself likes to surf, it was no surprise that the designer’s favorite pastime found its ways into the beauty inspiration. Sarah Lucero for stila made the girls look like they had gotten some color by applying a rosy hue to cheeks and the bridge of the nose, as if they had just come in from the beach. She finished everything off with the most amazing shiny pink gloss. (Photo: Courtesy of stila)
- Lela Rose: If you had told us a few weeks ago that chartreuse shadow could look cool, we would have said no way. Romy Soleimani proved us dead wrong at Lela Rose. (Photo: Courtesy of stila)
- Carmen Marc Valvo: Reaffirming that dewy is dead, makeup artist Uzo for Nars chose to do matte skin, which resulted in retro sixties-inspired eyes that really stood out. (NARS)
- Helmut Lang: While we loved the fall-esque deep cherry lip, the flushed cheeks that Hannah Murray for Nars created at Helmut Lang were a unique highlight. Instead of using blush, Murray used a crimson lipstick and lip pencil and then blended with her fingers. (Courtesy of: Nars)
- Kate Spade: Barbie-meets-Sophia Loren was the vibe at Kate Spade. To achieve that effect, Neil Scibelli for Jouer created a double cat eye using contrasting white and black liner.
- TIBI: The bold streaks of striking white shadow by Alice Lane for Maybellne brought all the focus to the eyes at Tibi. (Photo: Courtesy of Maybelline)
Check out more of our NYFW coverage here.
The Top 10 Coolest Hairstyles At NYFW
New York Fashion Week may have ended last week, but we’re still reveling in the backstage festivities (and recovering). At this point, however, we’ve had some time to process it all, and we’re ready to deliberate on next season’s biggest trends and most fashion-forward looks. Today we’ve rounded up our favorite hairstyles, from the totally outrageous to the completely wearable. Check back tomorrow and Friday for our top makeup and manicure picks!
- Rebecca Minkoff: The braided crown trend lives on! Frida Khalo was the muse for these unfussy updos crafted by TRESemmé stylist Jeanie Syfu. To create the style, she plaited three different ponytails into four-stranded braids before securing with pins. (Photo: Courtesy of stila)
- Zac Posen: Is there anything more romantic and feminine than white silk flowers strewn through hair? Odile Gilbert for Kérastase masterfully executed this hairstyle—and brides-to-be everywhere are swooning. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Cynthia Rowley: Surfer girl with edge was the style at Cynthia Rowley and Staci Child for Cutler/Redken pulled it off to a tee with her half beachy wave, half punky pulled back ‘do. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Marchesa: Goth glamour was the vibe at Marchesa, where stylist Odile Gilbert for Kérastase adorned strands with dark, moody plumage. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Rachel Zoe: The perfect hybrid between a braid and a bird’s nest, this style is something you’d never want to do yourself (brushing that out must have hurt). That said, we’re so impressed by Antonio Corral’s fabulously frizzy plaits. (Photo: Courtesy of Moroccan Oil)
- Alice + Olivia: When in doubt, a sleek, low bun is always a sophisticated choice. Stylist Nick Irwin for TIGI's pro tip was to add a shine spray, flat iron the hair, and then use mousse throughout the pony before coiling it to keep flyaways at bay. (Photo: Courtesy of TIGI)
- Jason Wu: Odile Gilbert for Kérastase can take credit for the stick-straight blunt ponys at Jason Wu. To add a hint of glam, he finished the minimalist look off with gold cuffed ponytail holders—a must-have accessory for next season. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Kate Spade: Creating the perfect topknot might as well be an art form and hairstylist Tommy Bucket got it exactly right at Kate Spade. We especially loved that these chunky buns were slightly undone, which gave the hair a very effortless and real feel. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Mara Hoffman: Holy braid! The butt-grazing plaits by Nick Irwin for TIGI at Mara Hoffman were too long for real life, but we definitely plan to try a modified version of this style ourselves. (Photo: Courtesy of TIGI)
- Badgley Mischka: This delicate roll by Peter Gray for Moroccan Oil is so utterly sweet, we can’t stop staring. (Photo: Courtesy of Moroccan Oil)
Want to stay in-the-know about the latest beauty trends? Sign up for Birchbox now!
Deepica before her mane makeover (left) and after (right).
I’ll never forget my first hair coloring experience. I was in 8th grade and I somehow convinced my traditional south asian mother (who has a particular attachment to long black hair) to let me get highlights as a birthday gift. Let’s just say that the result of my highlights back then taught me one thing—moms are always right.
Since then, my desire to experiment with hair-coloring faded till it became relatively non-existent. I realized that my natural hair color suited my skin tone best, and that if I ever had an itch to change my hair, I should stick to haircuts and not new hair colors!
That all changed when I moved to New York about a year-and-a-half ago and started working at Birchbox. I live in a city with some of the best colorists in the world and am surrounded by inspiring trends everyday. How could I not take advantage of that? The real revelation happened when fellow Birchbox staffer Caitlin came into work with her hair lightened through a technique called balayage. I fell in love with the look since it wasn’t quite as dramatic as an ombre, and it felt more fresh and natural than highlights—perfect for summer!
While we adore video tutorials, sometimes we need a quick step-by-step that we can move through at our own pace. Enter: gif tutorials. Like videos, they make it easy for us to imitate the motions, but we don’t have to press pause every time we need to see a difficult step again. Plus, aren’t they just more fun to watch? We’re introducing a new series of beauty gif tutorials that teach you how to get our favorite looks—from braids to cat eyes—in simple, animated ways.
For our first tutorial, editor Meredith shows you how to do an adorable and oh-so-simple milkmaid braid. (Trust us—it’s easier than you think!) Read on to see what products you’ll need and learn how to get this chic summer look in just eight steps.
Will Smith said in it best in his smooth ’90s hit Summertime, "Summer, summer, summertime. Time to sit back and unwind." Take a cue from the former-Fresh Prince of Bel Air and adopt an equally breezy beauty routine. From an instantly calming body lotion to an exfoliating lip scrub, here are our top hot-weather essentials.
Summer is approaching, which means that many of us will be visiting the salon for a lighter hair shade, highlights, or both. This year, we’re getting smart about protecting our expensively dyed hair from the sun. Protect your strands against UV rays with our handy round-up of the best color-protecting ingredients:
Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel at Time’s 100 most influential people gala earlier this week.
Like most worker bees, my 9 AM office routine follows a fairly familiar pattern. Trudge zombie-like towards coffee, browse my inbox for 10 minutes, then head to a gossip site to catch up on some celeb happenings. (Especially here, beauty news is important!)
This morning, I found myself swooning over a photo of America’s favorite newlyweds: the Timberlakes. While we don’t all have red-carpet galas to attend, these looks are still perfect for a night out on the town or a formal summer wedding. The former Ms. Biel looked radiant with bronze smoky eyes and a Bridgette Bardot-esque ‘do, and her beau looked particularly dashing in his updated 20/20 Experience look—we love the side-swept hair and fitted tuxedo. Whether you’re heading to a sophisticated fête or just a dinner with friends, follow these grooming tips to snag this A-list couple’s style.
Hailing from Boston, Ali came to us back in October to work on the brand partnerships team. As a Manhattan semi-newbie, she loves uncovering all that the city has to offer and says she is never bored with the seemingly endless list of new and exciting things to do. (However, even those of us born and raised in NYC know that feeling!) Read on to find out more about her!
Ali Berluti, Marketing Merchandising Manager
Hometown: Boston, MA
Fun fact: One summer I worked on a movie set and ended up being featured in a movie for a full 3 seconds. Unfortunately, it was the worst movie of all time.
SRSLY’s Serious Obsession with Birchbox Co-Founder Katia’s Hair
Birchbox Co-Founder Katia’s hair has been a major source of envy around our office for quite some time now. No matter the day, rain or shine, her locks are always perfectly tousled, her waves are epic, and her updos are to die for. Le sigh. We have a pretty obvious hair crush.
Watch the video above to find out all the deets on her hair routine!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos every week.