Going Gray Intentionally: The New Hair Trend
For as long as I can remember, I’ve been dreading the day when I would find my first gray hair. (It’s coming, I know, but as a blonde, I’m lucky that the first one at least won’t be super obvious). It would seem, however, that we might be on the verge of a new hair trend, one where young women intentionally dye their hair gray.
The most famous example is obviously Kelly Osbourne, whose aged hair look received lots of attention back in early 2012. Ever since then, I’ve seen editorials and trendsetters embrace this once stigmatized hue. While I fully recognize that this style may never go mainstream, there is something edgy and avant-garde about it that I really appreciate. It definitely says to the world, “I don’t mind defying conventional norms.” And who wouldn’t want to make that kind of statement?
Check out Kate Moss embracing gray!
We’ve got contributing editor Natalie Alcala on speed-dial. Not only does the LA-based writer and blogger know the best places to score an unforgettable braid, she’s also discovered the secret to perfect skin from Hollywood’s elite. Every week, she’ll be cluing us in to the latest in West Coast fashion, beauty, and fun.
Whether you’re an Internet sensation or simply a fan, your calendar is surely marked for this weekend’s BeautyCon in L.A. Going down at Siren Studios in Hollywood from 10am to 9pm, the day-long event will offer attendees the unique opportunity to meet all their favorite beauty and fashion web personalities under one roof. Want in? Register to attend here.
As you’ll see on the agenda, the day is jam-packed with an overwhelming amount of back-to-back workshops, panels, tutorials and competitions. To help you navigate the show like a pro, here’s a roundup of the top five events to catch. (I’m participating in two of them, so I hope I see you there!)
Kelly Osbourne sports her wildly expensive nails. (Photo: The Cut)
Who needs a diamond ring when you can get a…manicure? We told you about jewelry designer Azature’s $250,000 Black Diamond polish before—and now it turns out that Kelly Osbourne actually got a manicure with the insanely expensive lacquer. There’s only one bottle of the polish in the whole world, which contains 267 carats of crushed black diamond powder, and Osbourne tweeted that she felt “excited and honored” to wear it. All we can say is that we hope she doesn’t have a habit of biting her nails.
Though we think the value of Osbourne’s manicure was pretty ridiculous, we do have to say that now we’re totally intrigued by gem dust polishes. Luckily there are a few affordable sparkly lacquer options out there that aren’t just reserved for red carpet appearances. Check out three choices after the jump!
1) The Side Part: This was one of the biggest trends we saw on the red carpet last night. An easy way to instantly looked more polished, the side part looked amazing on January Jones, who rocked a sleek updo, and on Amy Poehler and Lucy Liu, who both chose to style their hair in off-to-the-side waves.
It’s Friday, Friday. Gotta get down on Friday. Okay, do you have Rebecca Black’s crazy catchy song stuck in your head? Good. Now you’re ready for the weekend. Before you jet off to all your fun plans, read a few of our favorite stories this week.
- Today, MAC announced their latest limited edition collection and it’s a doozy—they’ll be partnering with Carine Roitfeld. The French editrix’s collection will focus on a smoky eye, bold brows, and nude lips. Also coming up for MAC: a nautical-themed ‘Hey, Sailor!’ nail polish collection. [WWD, SheFinds]
- Kelly Osbourne changed her hair once again, this time to a more vibrant purple shade than we’ve seen on her before. Do you like? [People Style Watch]
- America’s Next Top Model and Tyra Banks shocked the blogosphere today when it was revealed that three of the longest standing members of the cast will not be returning for the next season. Instead, they are rumored to be bringing on bloggers as judges. [Fashionista]
- Finally, in news that isn’t really news: Mila Kunis was spotted leaving a gym without makeup. Totally normal but she still looks lovely, which is nice. Stars, they’re just like us! [Stylelist]
Put this on your weekend to-do list: Join Birchbox in time to get a Gossip Girl box in May! If you’re already a member, don’t worry— you’re all set. Go have a bagel instead.
On a recent episode of CBS’s The Talk, Kelly Osbourne discussed her buzz-worthy gray ‘do with the hosts, telling them she had always wanted to rock gray in her youth as a statement look. Surprisingly, though, she also told the ladies of the show that she felt she only had a few years left to try fun, out-there looks with her hair. What age did she think was the cut-off? Shockingly for us, she said 30.