Ruffian Manicure Tutorial, Bobbi Brown + Katie Holmes’ Epic Makeup Release, Mixing The Perfect Hair Product, And More: Reading List
We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything on the Birchbox blog and in the magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news that we don’t want you to miss.
Catch up on the latest Birchbox reads here.
Music Monday: Katy Perry’s New Lyric Video for “Roar”
Katy Perry is famous for her girl-power anthems—please see “Firework" and "Part of Me"—and her latest song is no exception to the rule.
Today, we’re rocking out to her newest single, “Roar”, and the just released lyrics video featuring emoji aplenty.
What’s your favorite song of the moment?
Katy Perry channels Grace Coddington on the cover of L’Officiel Paris this month. (Photo: Huffington Post)
Enter our Instagram contest now for a chance to win a makeup set from PIXI worth $500!
Welcome to August! It’s been an exciting week here at Birchbox HQ—we hosted an event with Caudalie, revealed the theme for our August box, and took a break to learn a little something from Birchbox Man about summer cocktails. This weekend, we’ll be catching up on the covers for all of our favorite September issues and relaxing.
- For the first time ever, Oprah appears on the cover of September’s O Magazine with her natural hair—un-straightened or blow dryed. The mogul looks even more gorgeous than usual! [Jezebel]
- If you’ve ever seen a drag show, or RuPaul’s Drag Race, you know the hair and makeup are just as important as the clothes. In a new photo series, photographer Leland Bobbé captures men with half their face made up in drag. The transformations are remarkable. [Refinery29]
- The rising queen of nail art, Katy Perry, has ying-yang nail art on the cover of Elle's September issue. Learn how to recreate the look yourself with black and white polish. [Beauty High]
- Tan mom stopped tanning for a month (kind of) and looks waaaay more normal. But can she continue to stay away from the booth? [InTouch]
- Growing up, there was one show that made learning about science cool: Bill Nye, the Science Guy! A new video with Bill teaches us how to tie a bow tie, super useful for helping the men-folk in our lives get prepped for fancy summer weddings. (Looks like it’s our turn to impart a little knowledge to Birchbox Man.) [Coco Perez]
Still can’t get enough of the Olympics? Shop our Go For the Gold products in the Birchbox Shop.
Image: BellaSugar Australia
Katy Perry is known for her extreme beauty and fashion, but her new movie, Katy Perry: Part of Me, reveals the star’s more natural side. The movie will be out July 5th (in 3D!) and follows the singer’s life for the past year. So far it’s being marketed similarly to the Justin Bieber movie, Never Say Never: as a behind-the-scenes diary look at a star’s concert tour. While many will probably head to the theatre to find out juicy details about the end of her marriage (Perry decided to not to skim over their breakup), the trailer shows a fun-loving, quirky side of Perry that makes us like her a lot more.
We were thrilled to catch a clip of the movie on BellaSugar Australia’s site, which shows Perry trying on costumes for her concert tour—totally makeup-free—for much of the clip. Click through to watch for yourself.
Katy Perry always keeps us guessing when it comes to her hair—whether she’s channeling Smurfette with full on blue or keeping it “simple” with pink roots. This weekend at Coachella she debuted a brand new shade: dark violet. We’re digging the color, especially with the cute flower wreath in her hair. Although she’s doesn’t actually look like Violet Beauregarde, the snotty little girl from Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, her penchant for candy colored hair and outfits do make us think she’d be a fan of the movie.
What do you think of the new color?
So many frequent dye jobs necessitate some pretty hefty conditioner. Find out favorites in the Birchbox Shop.
Just in time for the March 25th premiere of Mad Men's long-awaited fifth season, January Jones showed up at PaleyFest in L.A. sporting a rose-hued streak in her blonde locks.