Even when we can’t hop across the pond, our Birchbox counterparts in Europe keep us in the know with insider deets on the coolest goings-on. Every week, we’ll be sharing our favorite Instagrams from each of the four Birchbox teams so that you can travel the world without getting on a plane.
This week, our team in Barcelona attended a Network and the City event (hat tip to Sex and the City). We had a great time sharing Birchbox and dining with the fabulous guests.
Birchbox UK attended the Catching Fire press conference with our BFF (in our dreams) Jennifer Lawrence and Elizabeth Banks, who shared the lowdown on Effie Trinket’s spectacular costumes!
This weekend Sézane took over the Birchbox France Instagram account and made sure to stop by Ladurée for a delicious treat!
And speaking of sweets, in the US we’re getting our holiday spirit on with lots of sparkles, sequins, and of course, doughnuts. Here’s our festive staffer Whitney keeping us well-supplied with sugary treats from Doughnut Plant at our December video shoot.
Don’t miss a photo! Follow us on Instagram!
Call it a short hair epidemic! Today we learned that Jennifer Lawrence (or, as you may know her, Katniss Everdeen) has joined the likes of Pamela Anderson and Jennifer Hudson with a new pixie cut… to mixed reviews. While we love her shorter ‘do she’s been catching some shade from commentators and bloggers alike. Where do you stand?
Love it or hate it, short hair can be harder to maintain than longer hair—it requires frequent trims, and a bad hair day can’t be swept into a topknot and simply forgotten. If we were J. Law we’d stock up on Number 4’s Non-Aerosol Hairspray to tame flyaways and Serge Normant’s Mega Revive Dry Shampoo for body and texture.
Recently cut off a lot of length? Get our tips for styling short hair in this video tutorial.
Get the Look: Jennifer Lawrence’s Makeup from Oscars 2013: Birchbox Intern Diaries
Jennifer Lawrence has been headed towards ‘It Girl’ status for quite a while now and her big win at the Oscars on Sunday evening solidified it. After seeing her stunning Dior gown, paired with a romantic up-do and a subtle smoky eye, I was dying to recreate the look.
Watch this week’s Birchbox Intern Diaries video to see how I recreate Jennifer Lawrence’s Oscar Awards makeup in just a few simple steps!
See who made our best-dressed list from Hollywood’s glamorous evening, here.
Top 7 Best Dressed at the 2013 Oscars
This year’s Oscars have been a parade of surprises—and not in the way you’d think. From minimal color to minimal volume to minimal jewelry, the red carpet was ruled by neutrals and bare shoulders. While there were certainly a few over-the-top gowns, the fashions erred more on the side of demure femininity. Here are our top six favorite looks—and we want to hear yours too!
- Jennifer Lawrence in Dior: We’re not ranking our picks, but if we had to vote for best dressed it would go hands down to the Silver Linings Playbook star. The pale pink, delightfully poofy gown set off her pale complexion perfectly. And can we talk about the delicate jewels draped down her back? Amazing.
- Naomi Watts in Armani: This memorable sparkler definitely has the coolest neckline we’ve seen in a while. We’re thrilled that Watts wore her hair up to show off the dress’ geometric lines.
- Charlize Theron in Dior Haute Couture: This fitted white peplum stunner highlights every single one of the actress’ features, especially her supershort haircut. You are a vision, Charlize.
- Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen: Halters are hard to pull off but the Les Misérables star looked radiant in her beaded number.
- Jessica Chastain in Armani Prive: Redheads take note: Nude is definitely your color. Our jaws dropped when we saw the Zero Dark Thirty star hit the red carpet. Chastain’s retro waves and red lipstick made her look like the epitome of Hollywood glamour.
- Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta: Uhhhh. Princess gowns at the Oscars are amazing. Princess gowns made by Oscar de la Renta are even better. This powder blue frock is beyond dreamy.
- Jennifer Hudson Roberto Cavalli Couture: Sleeves, baby!The singer stunned in form-fitting navy blue, proving that you can be sexy and covered up at the same time.
For more Oscars fun, check out our Pinterest board with all of the evening’s looks.
We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
Were you surprised by the 2013 Oscar nominations? Save for a few upsets (how is Ben Affleck not nominated for Best Director?), I was pretty pleased with this list, especially since a handful of my beauty muses are in the mix. To celebrate this year’s leading ladies, here’s a roundup of their best red carpet looks of all time.
(Photo: Getty Images)