Matthew Williamson and Havaianas team up on some seriously stylish rain boots. (Photo: facebook.com)
Not feeling eyelash extensions? Get a similar effect with less hassle by using Benefit they’re Real! Mascara.
Welcome to March! Start the month off on the right foot with a recap of the hot beauty news you’ve missed.
- One of the coolest things about fashion week is seeing models transform for shows. This video takes us through the entire beauty process backstage before Proenza Schouler. [BellaSugar]
Notable Quotables is a weekly series featuring a great quote. Whether it’s the founder of a beloved beauty brand, an eccentric makeup artist making headlines, or even a super-stylish celebrity, our favorite tastemakers always have something worth sharing. We love how chic Drew Barrymore looks in the February 2012 issue of InStyle. Who knew she was such a girly girl?
"I’m an old-school gal. I love to play with hair and makeup and clothes."
—Drew Barrymore in InStyle
Celebrities, they’re just like us! To find our favorite hair and makeup products to play with visit the Birchbox Shop.
Many of us tote a clipping of our dream hair with us to the salon, hoping that we can get one step closer to that perfect celeb coif. Now, salons like New York City’s Salon AKS, are making the whole process easier by using iPad apps, like the MyGallery app and InStyle’s Hairstyle Try-On.
These apps allow customers and stylists to browse thousands of styles in the salon together, and even scour the latest red carpet events for inspiration. And, for the ultimate pampering experience, several salons now provide iPads for their customers to use during their appointments.
I do a decent amount of my catch-up reading while sitting in a pedicure chair, and salons like tenoverten in Tribeca have iPads to use while you get your nails done. Kiehl’s new spa, Spa 1851 set to open in July, will also have iPads for customer use. Now, if only every other store would hop on the trend, I won’t need to invest in one of my own.
Keep your style fresh in between appointments with products from our Birchbox Shop.
Left: Justin Bieber’s new perfume, Someday. Right: Marc Jacobs’ Lola.
Yup, it rained all freaking week here is NYC. We can’t seem to catch a break! Luckily, the forecast predicts some sunshine over the weekend and we’ll take what we can get. Given that the weather was less than optimal over the last five days, we weren’t distracted from reading our feeds regularly. Lots happened, but here are the highlights.
- Shiseido kicked off a nine-city mobile spa tour in NYC today and BellaSugar has all the details. The Shiseido Airstream, which will offer complimentary facial massages, samples, and gift certificates, will be in Washington DC tomorrow, Houston on May 28th, Los Angeles on June 2nd and 3rd, and Chicago on June 18th. Click through to see the rest of the dates!
- You know we love nail art so we were thrilled to see this roundup of the most insane nail art on Fashionista today. It’s impossible to pick a favorite, but if we had to, the Twin Peaks-inspired designs are pretty amazing.
- Chanel announced this week that they’re offering an exclusive online-only lip color, Royallieu. InStyle got the scoop.
- A new fashion and beauty-themed exhibit in Los Angeles was profiled by the NYTimes this week — worth checking out if you’re in the area.
- Fresh just introduced a new lip balm, Honey Sugar. The Cut named it a best bet, and given that its SPF 15 and has a peachy tint, we know we’ll agree.
- It’s official, Kate Foley of Opening Ceremony is our new girl crush. We love that R29 profiled her fab home and we really, really love that in the first pic, her shoes match her lipstick.
- The Biebs had scented dog tags and a nail polish line with OPI, but never his own fragrance…until now. Funny that his new perfume, Someday, looks so familiar…sort of like Marc Jacob’s Lola.
For some more mature-smelling scents, check out the Birchbox Shop.
You know who’s really cute? Rachel Bilson. She always looks chic, played my favorite character on The O.C., and is the star of the new Magnum Ice Cream ads/short films (yum!). She also has a monthly advice column in InStyle and has excellent taste in summer beauty essentials, namely Herban Essentials antibacterial towelettes. Bilson told InStyle, “I love that these wipes are natural, and the scent is summer fresh.” That makes two of us, Rachel! Want to be best friends?
Grab lemon or orange Herban Essentials Towelettes in the Birchbox Shop and take them to the beach this summer.