I discovered my love for manicures in high school. I’m dating myself a little by revealing this, but in my teenage years the French mani was the biggest nail trend—and it was definitely my favorite look. I had asked my mom for advice on the best place to go in Chicago (where I’m from) and as far as she was concerned, there was only one option: Elizabeth Arden’s Red Door Salon and Spa.
Getting a manicure with my mom at the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon and Spa in Chicago two summers ago.
So I made an appointment and I must say, I was hooked instantly. Not only are the nail techs (shout out to Margarita!) and service so great there, but the luxury of Elizabeth Arden’s standard warm cream manicure is beyond. Seriously, it puts your regular old salon-around-the-corner to shame. As my mom puts it, “once you go Red, you never go back.” And she’s right. To this day, a decade and a half later, it’s still still my go-to place when I’m home.
Doing your hair can be a challenge and let’s face it: Throwing it up into a topknot every day gets boring. Christina over at Hair Romance believes your hair is your best accessory and it should always be treated at such. This week, she’s sharing all her best tips and tricks to make every day a good hair day.
Healthy hair is not just what you put on the ends of your hair, but also about what you eat. These are the top 10 foods to include in your diet for a more lustrous head of hair.
We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything in the Birchbox blog and magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news that we don’t want you to miss out on. Read them while you’re cozied up on your couch or in between activities this weekend.
After a long, tough week, we’re ready to follow Editor Candice’s lead and start using eye cream early.
- How You Can Help The Sandy Recovery: Power was restored to much of Manhattan late this afternoon (hallelujah!) but there are many, many folks still in need. Find out how you can help this weekend with your time or money.
- Celebrity Favorite Beauty Products: We have to admit we’re suckers for celebrity endorsements. Gwyneth loves that lip balm? Sold! But these beauty products aren’t just celebrity favorites—we’ve tested them all and can confirm they hold up to their reputations.
- Product Snapshot: Kiehl’s Rosa Arctica Eye: Even though editor Candice is still in her twenties, she’s already using an eye cream. Find out why she’s crazy about this one. Hint: long weeks = under-eye circles galore.
- Ingredient Decoder: Green Tea: We’re fans of the antioxidant-rich beverage (who isn’t?) but this article from the guys at Birchbox Man has made us a believer in the leafy green’s ability to transform our skin as well.
- New York City Marathon Cancelled: Amidst fierce criticism over poor timing during the continuing aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the New York Marathon has been cancelled. What do you think—should they have gone through with it?
To say thank you for your patience we’d like you to enjoy 35 Bonus Birchbox Points on purchases of $35+ when you shop October box products. Use code THANKYOU at checkout to redeem. Promo expires 11/4/12.
Hello, world! This week I’m putting myself and my skin on the Pomega5 Diet. Yesterday’s pomegranate salad was easy and delicious, and was a nice change from all the carb-heavy winter foods I’ve been eating lately. Today’s super ingredient: Green Tea.
Basics: Green tea isn’t just what you drink when you’re trying to slim down (though it is a proven de-puffer) — the ingredient is high in catechins, a type of polyphenol that protects against free radicals and helps repair skin cells. In skincare, green tea extract is ideal for sensitive, irritated, or acne-prone skin because it reduces inflammation and helps rejuvenate cells. It also helps reduce signs of aging.
Skin Diet: Since it’s still chilly out, I’ve been using a combination of face oils and moisturizers to keep the flakes at bay. I love that Pomega5’s Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer is light enough to layer it on top of a face oil or serum without feeling heavy. It gives my skin a smooth finish (bye-bye pores!) which will be extra important once it gets warmer and my t-zone goes back to shiny central. Plus the citrusy smell just makes me feel healthier.
On the Menu: I thought about starting my day off with a few green tea macarons, but decided that would defeat the purpose. Instead, I made myself a cup of green tea while I got ready this morning (ie: watched the Today Show and answered emails). The caffeine boost perked me up, and I felt so good that I got a small coffee instead of my usual large on my way to work.
Daphne Oz is total wellness nerd. Read her Beauty in Action profile for great DIY beauty remedies, essential oil tidbits, and more.
Shop all the Pomega5 Skincare in our Shop.