Two awesome things about this weekend: There are three days in it (woot woot!) and tonight kicks off the holiday break with a Blue Moon. That’s right, for the first time since December 2009, there will be a second full moon within one month. Enjoy folks!
Editrix Eva Chen is reportedly leaving her long-time post at Teen Vogue. But where will she end up? (Photo: Birchbox Magazine)
- We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the Blue Moon than spending time on a rooftop here in New York. Our dude counterparts at Birchbox Man just inspired us with the perfect libation to enjoy it with: The Hemingway Daiquiri. [The Guide]
- Can you damage your teeth with those over-the-counter whitening products? Maybe, yeah. Eek! [The Cut]
- Fashionista broke some pretty crazy news last night without much fanfare: beauty director Eva Chen is leaving Teen Vogue! We’re a bit confused why Eva herself hasn’t announced it yet—and so were many others—but we know she’ll be a rockstar wherever she ends up. [Styleite]
- Theory fashion designer Olivier Theyskens is known for his sleek, long black hair. So we were shocked to see he’s chopped it off! Although his new look is less unique, we dig it. [Into The Gloss]
- Chic Parisian boutique Colette will be carrying 10 natural, independent beauty brands from über-hip Brooklyn starting September 3rd till at least the end of October. Our favorites in the list? D.S. & Durga and MCMC Fragrances. [WWD]
There’s still time to get your end-of-summer beauty shopping in and have 15% go towards building a school in Guatemala with Pencils of Promise! Just shop the Birchbox Shop tonight.
We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
Photos via Stop It Right Now, Eva Chen, Nasty Gal
As we’ve said before, Instagram is a beautiful thing. There’s something about those fantastic filters that just make everything look so magical—it really is like looking at life through rose-colored glasses! When I’m not stalking Birchbox’s amazing Instagram (are you following yet?), here are the accounts I turn to for mega beauty inspiration.
1. Stop It Right Now: This girl is so darn cool. Jayne Min’s Instagram is a condensed version of her cult-favorite blog and features a mix of fashion, beauty, and lifestyle moments from her charmed life. I’m particularly fond of her crazy-amazing manicures (exhibit A, above).
2. Eva Chen: Teen Vogue's beauty director (and friend of Birchbox) is somewhat of a digital darling for her fantastic participation in various social media platforms, such as Twitter, Tumblr and, of course, Instagram. In addition to providing major beauty product envy, I love seeing what she does next to her super cute, short hair.
Here comes the New Year! The end of 2011 means we can start thinking about all the exciting things we want to add to our lives (new shoes!) and all the resolutions we have for the next 12 months (get more sleep!). With that in mind, we asked some of our favorite people in the industry to tell us what their beauty/health/wellness resolutions are for 2012. They gave us a peek into how they’re planning on sprucing up their routines. Up today: Teen Vogue's fabulous beauty director, Eva Chen.
"My resolution is to be a stickler for regularity: make my next brow/cut/derm/you name it appointment as I leave the salon, instead of madly scrambling and wheedling for an appointment when I’m in dire need of it."
—Eva Chen, Beauty Director at Teen Vogue
For everything you need in between those appointments, check out the Birchbox Shop.
Teen Vogue beauty editor Eva Chen stopped by the Birchbox office yesterday, and in between talking travel (she’s constantly bopping around the world) and social media (you must follow her on Twitter and Tumblr), she also gave us a foolproof at-home mani tip:
Foundations first! Chen says it’s all about the base coat. She likes OPI Chip Skip, which is like a second version of acetone that dehydrates your nail (sounds scary but it’s not!) before you apply your base coat. You can also try Orly Bonder, which is a rubberized base coat that sticks to the lacquer.
Now comes the hard part: What color polish? We’re feeling blue — in a good way!
Forget the penetrating, hard-hitting questions — Lightning Round is a fun (and informative!) on-the-spot questionnaire series featuring someone we find particularly compelling.
If you’re not a beauty aficionado, you might not have heard of Eva Chen, but we think she’s a pretty big deal. As the beauty director of Teen Vogue, she’s in charge of everything and anything beauty-related that makes it into the magazine (and she has a ton of fun doing it, as evidence by her recent Beyonce-inspired Rhythm Nation piece). Beyond being one of the glossy’s driving forces, she’s somewhat of a phenomenon on Tumblr and Twitter. We nabbed some time to interview her for this month’s Birchbox Crush, plus an on-the-spot Q&A for our very first Lightning Round post. Here’s what she had to say.
Foundation or tinted moisturizer?
Tinted moisturizer. If you take care of your skin, you don’t need foundation. I also think young women should be wearing less foundation because you’re aging yourself and you’ll only have that youthful glow once.
Heel or flats?
Lipstick or lip stain?
Lip stain, for sure. For me at least — I appreciate the look of lipstick, but I am such a hot mess.