Elizabeth Dehn of Beauty Bets (left); Christina Caradona of Trop Rouge (right)
There are few things that we love more than sneaking a peek into the beauty routines of our favorite people. This week, we scored an insider’s look at the gorgeous vanities of two very stylish bloggers: Elizabeth Dehn of Beauty Bets and Christina Caradona of Trop Rouge.
Not only did these two lovely ladies tell us their favorite product picks, they also shared some of their primping secrets—which we’re stealing and adding to our own routines posthaste. Read on to find out their (and soon to be your) must-haves!
Elizabeth Dehn of Beauty Bets Shares Her Holiday Gift Picks
Ah, the holidays—the greatest gift-giving time of the year. We know how tough it can be to come up with the perfect present for every friend, acquaintance, co-worker, and loved one in your life, which is why we’ve turned to our favorite tastemakers to tell us what they’ve got their eye on this season. This week’s trendsetter: Minnesota-based beauty enthusiast and founder of BeautyBets.com, Elizabeth Dehn.
1. Paper goods ranks a close second to beauty products in my world, and no one does them better than Sugar Paper. Plus, I like any excuse I can get to combine stripes, bows, and gold foil.
2. Mine is an old-school whiskey-drinking kind of family—mint juleps in the summer and Manhattans in the winter. Bulleit is the best.
3. More stripes and gold foil! I can’t get enough. And what girl wouldn’t want this French Annick Goutal votive on her desk or vanity?
4. Pop these wooden toothbrushes in your weekender as a cute hostess gift. Or hand them out to your own overnight guests along with a tube of Marvis toothpaste.
5. My brother is getting this felt Old Calgary wallet for Christmas. Like his Minnesota-raised sister, he has a thing for heritage design with a North Woods vibe.
6. Best. Hand cream. Ever. Rodin Olio Lusso Crema is as rich as its price tag, yet miraculously non-greasy. For the girl—or the boss—who has everything.
7. A rose body oil by any other name would not smell as real or as heavenly. Plus its formula is all natural, just like everything else in One Love Organics’ life-changing skincare line.
8. And speaking of life-changing: J.Crew vintage pajama sets are the best gift I’ve ever received. This year, I’m asking Santa for the short-sleeved version.
9. No style blogger can seem to get enough of Clare Vivier’s clutches or her modern use of bright colors with soft, neutral leathers.
10. There’s something incredible satisfying about scribbling on a thick, white notepad. Not a day goes by that someone doesn’t ooh and ahh over my stack of from Russell + Hazel.
Need the perfect gift for anyone on your list? We recommend the Birchbox Home box!
Here comes the New Year! The end of 2011 means we can start thinking about all the exciting things we want to add to our lives (new shoes!) and all the resolutions we have for the next 12 months (get more sleep!). With that in mind, we asked some of our favorite people in the industry to tell us what their beauty/health/wellness resolutions are for 2012. They gave us a peek into how they’re planning on sprucing up their routines.
This year I vow to partake more regularly in the ultimate beauty treatment: SLEEP! I also plan to juice more. There’s nothing like a big glass of greens to make your skin glow.
—Elizabeth Dehn, Founder of Beauty Bets
True story: I fell in love with Minneapolis during the dead of winter. I was there for three days, during which time the temperature stayed emphatically below zero. But no matter — I bundled up, and kept warm with phenomenal culture (the Walker Art Center and Guthrie Theater, to start) and fantastic food (112 Eatery, Hell’s Kitchen, and more). And, naturally, I made a trip to the flagship Target store. I’ve had a soft spot for the city ever since.
But don’t take my word for it — read this month’s Insider Guide, our new feature about fun destinations around the world. And who better to give us the deets than Minneapolis native, Elizabeth Dehn, founder of Beauty Bets and By Elizabeth Dehn?
Ok, enough chatter. Read all about Minneapolis and why it’s the place to be…even in the winter.
A shot from our summer beauty editorial. Photographer: Ken Pao; makeup: Nam Vo.
Well, that was one humdinger of a week. June boxes are out the door, we debuted our awesome travel pouches (flying out the doors - get yours quick!), and even squeezed in a video shoot. In between all that, we even managed to do some reading. Here’s what caught our eye.
- Whew. Preview shots of Tom Ford’s new makeup collection are out and they’re downright sexy. Those gleaming gold accents, those engraved lipsticks…we want. BellaSugar has the deets on the forthcoming collection, fronted by the gorgeous Lara Stone.
- One more reason to pick up the Sunday Times: there’s a fascinating profile of Bare Escentuals high priestess Leslie Blodgett. Find out how she made mineral powders a must-have item.
- We were all aflutter earlier this week, when Book of Mormon star Nikki James (besties with our own Eric) came by to say hi. We were even more psyched to see her awesome Vogue.com feature — watch her shop for the perfect Tony Awards dress.
- We love Refinery29’s roundup of their five favorite under-the-radar beauty brands, featuring one of our fave Elizabeth Dehn and her new By Elizabeth Dehn line!
- Finally, here’s a selfish one: We just put up a fresh batch of content. Head on over to our website to check it out: there’s an editorial featuring our favorite summer beauty looks, an interview with the too-cute Marais USA girls, downtown cool hair tutorials, and more. Go go!
…And I’m out. Have a great weekend!
Founded in 2005 by beauty junkie Carla Maganinho, Product Girl is an outlet for her to discuss her favorite finds. Over the years, the site has gained a loyal following — and even another staffer, Laurie Leopold. Together the blogging duo cover everything from the latest launches to their recent splurges. This week, these ladies-in-the-know are guest blogging for us about all things summer!
Finding the perfect balance in summer skincare can be a challenge. Our instincts to moisturize may be inhibited because the heat can be deceiving. But really, our skin needs just as much hydration in the summer as in the winter to help prevent excess oil production and breakouts. And exfoliation is of the utmost importance to slough off any dead skin cells.
These Beauty VIPs take the guesswork out of summer skincare. They are our absolute must-haves for putting our best faces forward, despite high temps!
We live and die by the powers of our Clarisonic. Nothing cleanses better or more effectively, and at the end of a hot day, we need everything we put on our face to truly come off. We love the Mia, which comes in so many fun colors and patterns. Think of it as investment in your skin.
We dare you to find packaging more adorable than Benefit’s new B. Right line. The Refined Finish Facial Polish makes the VIP cut because not only is this exfoliator gentle, it’s also extremely effective due to the natural clay and seaweed extracts that help balance oil and hydrate. The end result? Smooth skin without that tight feeling.
By Elizabeth Dehn Face Spray is like an instant spa remedy for your skin. We promise you there’s nothing more refreshing than a mist of antioxidants that smells of citrusy spa water. Plus, we happen to adore the founder, and think it’s a brand you should get to know!
Check out even more exfoliating scrubs in our Birchbox Shop!
This week, we have beauty writer extraordinaire Elizabeth Dehn (aka Beauty Bets) chiming in with her best hair tips. After giving her previously straight and silky hair to a Body Wave (ie perm), Dehn has been on an ongoing search for products to resurrect her now-fried tresses. Here’s today’s trick.
There’s fine line between smooth hair and greasy hair, and I have crossed it many times with the wrong serums and pomades. MoroccanOil is almost impossible to mess up. Work in a few drops before you blow dry or use it to tame frizz and flyaways on styled hair. Either way, it’s worth every penny.
Read all our guest blogger posts here.
Shop our favorite hair styling aids in the Birchbox Shop.
We’ve had a major girl crush on Elizabeth Dehn, founder of Beauty Bets, since we first stumbled across her elegant site. The Minneapolis-based blogger and beauty writer adheres to the quality over quantity rule of thumb, which means that her posts are always thoughtful, info-packed, and useful. You might find handy her round-up of the seven best eye creams or enjoy her honest account of the HCG diet she did (brave soul). Whatever the topic, she is always witty and honest — a woman after our own hearts. Plus, she loves face oils just as much as we do. We’re excited to have her on board for a series of posts about how she tamed her body wave-ed hair. Read on for tip #1!
I used to have long, lustrous, manageable hair. It’s still long, but I made the mistake of one day going to a hair salon to get The Body Wave—and what I ended up with instead was dry, dull, and definitely NOT hot mess hair. The stylist had promised me Blake Lively waves, but what I got was a crash-course in caring for chemically treated tresses. As a beauty writer, I had the unfair advantage of trying literally dozens of tactics to restore my hair to its original health. Here’s what actually worked:
Sulfate-free shampoo. The lathering agent that yields that squeaky-clean feeling is actually incredibly adept at stripping hair of moisture. If you can part with the suds, you’ll be rewarded with a more hydrated, manageable mane. Sojourn, the new collection from Vidal Sassoon’s son, Elan, is the best I’ve tried and has something for every hair type.
Check back tomorrow for hair taming trick #2, plus more hair product picks!
Browse our selection of sulfate-free shampoo in the Birchbox Shop.