Whether you’re looking for celebrity gossip, the best product for frizzy hair, or advice on what to wear to your cousin’s wedding, the gals at Lovelyish have got you covered. This week, a handful of the site’s staffers—Katie Kubiak, Annie Strole, and Allison Wheeler—are bringing their expertise to our blog in a series of five beauty and style how-tos.
There’s nothing more appealing on a weekday morning than hitting the snooze button. Actually, I can think of plenty things more appealing, but I try not to tease myself when I know I have to book it to work in a matter of minutes. If you’re like me, you’re kicking yourself for sleeping in by the time you reach the primping portion of your morning routine. Who has time for it?
Luckily there are so many magnificent time-saving beauty tools these days that can make you fabulous in five minutes or less.
I wouldn’t trade New York for any other city, but right about this time of year I start to miss the ocean like whoa. I’m headed to Hawaii this week to visit family and get my fix of palm trees, sand, and spam musubi. (Not kidding—don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.) Here’s what I’m packing for my tropical escape.
1. La Fresh Oil-Free Face Cleanser: I’m a big proponent of face wipes, both at work (key when product-testing) and when traveling. These hydrating wipes have both aloe vera and vitamin E—they’ll come in handy on the 12-hour flight as well as any beach adventures.
Happy Valentines Day! Get Ready For Date Night (Or Girls’ Night) With Our New Video
Whether you’re sharing a romantic evening with your steady or having a girls night out, Valentine’s Day is one time you definitely want to feel great. Watch our new video for the fool-proof date night makeup routine that you can even do in a rush. PLUS, if you do have a date tonight, you might want to send your guy this video.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more videos every week.
This weekend marks the official start of summer, which means that Birchboxers have plans to kick back, rest up, and hopefully bask in some serious sunshine. We asked several of our staffers where they’re headed (stay-cations sound as enticing as traveling) and the must-have product they’re bringing along. Here’s what associate editor Lorelei had to say.
I’m going to D.C. to spend the weekend with my sister and will absolutely be bringing Dr. Jart’s Premium BB Cream. It’s supposed to be 88 degrees when I get there on Saturday—hello, summer!—and my skin hasn’t seen that much sun in nine months. The SPF 45+ will be crucial for hanging out on the National Mall, while the tinted moisturizer/serum formula is low maintenance enough for spending all Sunday roaming the hallowed halls of the Smithsonian.
Not sure what BB cream is? Learn all about it here!
Health and beauty: a winning combo, no? At this morning’s Self Magazine 2012 Healthy Beauty Awards, the theme was products that make you look and feel amazing.
The event, held at the Museum of Modern Art, revealed 89 winners across the categories of face, makeup, nails, sun, hair, and body—from Top Acne Spot Solution (hello, Yes to Tomatoes Clear Skin Spot Stick) to Best Deep Conditioner (woot Ojon Super Sleek Smoothing Conditioner). The products were chosen by a panel of Self readers who tested them in their own homes and submitted their honest feedback. I recognize plenty of favorites on the list, but there are also ones I’m excited to try!
Beyond celebrating the phenomenal products, Self’s Editor-in-Chief, Lucy Danzinger, also set the tone of the event by bringing attention to social media. She told the audience of editors, industry execs, and brand bigwigs that companies shouldn’t try to strong-arm their message—they should just ensure that people are talking about their products and their brands. As a Twitter and Instagram addict, I loved hearing her give a digital call to action.
Check out the Birchbox products that made the Self list!
Who has packing tips for me? My overstuffed suitcase.
Ok, I’m not actually going to Hollywood. But I am going to L.A. (weather permitting, fingers crossed) for a video shoot with a few of our brand partners. Assuming I get off the ground (again, knock on wood), here’s what I’m bringing.
1. Amika mini hair dryer: This is part of Amika’s Giraffe Go Go Travel Set, which we’re adding to the shop in September. Besides the too-cute print, this little guy is powerful enough to dry my hair in under ten minutes.
2. New Balance 10: Part of New Balance’s new Minimus line, these trail sneaks are extremely light with a semi-stiff, flexi sole. I feel like Flash Gordon in them, even if I move more like a snail.
3. Tanya Anguiniga Studio Rope Bracelet: Katia ordered this amazingly oversize bracelet for me off Fab (not avail anymore, sorry!) and at first, I thought it was way too big. I was obviously wrong. It’s amazing. (Also amazing: Fab.)
4. TSA-compliant makeup bag: All of my current essentials, and then some: Dr. Jart Beauty Balm; One Love Organics Easy Does It Cleanser; Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint; and more.
5. Warby Parker Prestons: We had a fun trunk show/happy hour with the Warby Park kids last week and I swear the entire BB team now owns either Preston glasses or Everett sunnies. I feel smarter just wearing mine.
6. J. Crew belt: Can’t go anywhere without a skinny metallic belt.
P.S. Completely unrelated, but I’m loving Deborah Lippmann’s Lara’s Theme — a juicy orange that’s for the last few weeks of summer!