Whether you’re looking for celebrity gossip, the best product for frizzy hair, or advice on what to wear to your cousin’s wedding, the gals at Lovelyish have got you covered. This week, a handful of the site’s staffers—Katie Kubiak, Annie Strole, and Allison Wheeler—are bringing their expertise to our blog in a series of five beauty and style how-tos.
Well-done makeup is always nice, but would you rather get compliments on your makeup or on your beauty? Personally, I’m not the kind of gal that can leave the house bare-faced, but it always feels good when someone asks if I’m not wearing makeup when I really am.
To pull off the no-makeup makeup look takes a bit of know-how and all the right formulas.
Top 7 Best Dressed at the 2013 Oscars
This year’s Oscars have been a parade of surprises—and not in the way you’d think. From minimal color to minimal volume to minimal jewelry, the red carpet was ruled by neutrals and bare shoulders. While there were certainly a few over-the-top gowns, the fashions erred more on the side of demure femininity. Here are our top six favorite looks—and we want to hear yours too!
- Jennifer Lawrence in Dior: We’re not ranking our picks, but if we had to vote for best dressed it would go hands down to the Silver Linings Playbook star. The pale pink, delightfully poofy gown set off her pale complexion perfectly. And can we talk about the delicate jewels draped down her back? Amazing.
- Naomi Watts in Armani: This memorable sparkler definitely has the coolest neckline we’ve seen in a while. We’re thrilled that Watts wore her hair up to show off the dress’ geometric lines.
- Charlize Theron in Dior Haute Couture: This fitted white peplum stunner highlights every single one of the actress’ features, especially her supershort haircut. You are a vision, Charlize.
- Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen: Halters are hard to pull off but the Les Misérables star looked radiant in her beaded number.
- Jessica Chastain in Armani Prive: Redheads take note: Nude is definitely your color. Our jaws dropped when we saw the Zero Dark Thirty star hit the red carpet. Chastain’s retro waves and red lipstick made her look like the epitome of Hollywood glamour.
- Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta: Uhhhh. Princess gowns at the Oscars are amazing. Princess gowns made by Oscar de la Renta are even better. This powder blue frock is beyond dreamy.
- Jennifer Hudson Roberto Cavalli Couture: Sleeves, baby!The singer stunned in form-fitting navy blue, proving that you can be sexy and covered up at the same time.
For more Oscars fun, check out our Pinterest board with all of the evening’s looks.
We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
(Photo: The Fancy)
We’ve been talking about it a lot lately, but only because it’s so true! Finding holiday gifts for your friends is always a stressful process. Do you go for the foolproof item on his or her wish list, or do you leave that up to their family and instead scour for out-of- the-box items that they didn’t even know existed? Oftentimes, I veer toward the latter, simply because it’s more fun. Thanks to the wondrous World Wide Web, there are a slew of sites that offer inventive giftables in a range of categories—including beauty. Here are some of my current favorites.
Girl Around Town co-founders, Leigh Evans and Mary Cunningham, created an online community for women to talk about the latest in fashion, beauty, food, and more. The site boasts jet-setting writers who are based in Los Angeles, Houston, and New York, all of whom have the insider deets on the hottest things to do and see all over the globe.
I’m pretty diligent about my makeup application in the mornings. But no matter how much time I spend first thing, by mid-day I look like a sad circus clown: I’ll have mascara rings underneath my eyes, my lipstick will be smeared, my cheeks will be pale, and the list goes on. So, I have learned to be prepared for the mid-day makeup battle by carrying a couple essentials with me at all times. Here’s what’s I regularly tote around with me:
What’s missing in the latest nail polish formulas? Nothing that you’re going to miss. (Photo: about.com)
When nail polish was first created in France in the 1920’s, the formula was an adapted version of the glossy enamel used on cars. Eep! Thankfully, the formulas have come a long way since then. Over the past few years, we’ve seen many “3-free” formulas that omit harmful dibutyl phthalate (DBP), toluene, and formaldehyde. The next step: 5-free polishes, which are made without formaldehyde resin and camphor. Click through for more on these two toxic ingredients and for a list of our favorite 5-free brands!