Our @jdalfeen is staying cozy with a fresh coat of @deborahlippmann’s Cleopatra in New York 💅❄️
Want this shade? Grab it in our Shop!
Top 10 Eye-Catching Manis From Spring 2014’s NYFW
The days of over-the-top nail art manis may be behind us, but plenty of designers opted for colors and designs that were memorable at the Spring 2014 shows. Here’s a look at our absolute favorites and get this: so many of these ideas are actually wearable!
- Ruffian: The brand is known for its signature crescent moon mani and this season, nail artist Cheryl Natoli took the look to new heights by extending the darker accent color further up the nail. What’s even cooler? She used only shades from Ruffian’s first lacquer collection, which is exclusive to Birchbox. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Mara Hoffman: Using Hoffman’s trademark prints as inspiration, nail artist Honey for Maybelline created bright orange flourishes that stood out nicely against the nude base color. (Photo: Courtesy of Maybelline)
- Prabal Gurung: Candy-color nails were done best for spring at Prabal Gurung, where nail artist Ana-Maria for Sally Hansen was being mindful to contrast lip and nail colors. (Photo: Courtesy of Sally Hansen)
- Tadashi Shoji: This opalescent matte nail created by Katie Hughes for butter London was such a stunner in large part because of its simplicity. (Photo: Courtesy of Butter)
- Suno: Bright orange digits like these seen at Suno (courtesy of Maybelline) are predicted to be the hottest nail color for spring 2014. (Photo: Courtesy of Maybelline)
- Tibi: If you want to have a go at nail art, but don’t have the steadiest of hands, this look created by JINsoon is right for you. We’re particularly fond of it because the black lines only appear on three fingers on each hand. (Photo: Courtesy of JINsoon)
- Kate Spade: Cap toe shoes were the inspiration for Deborah Lippmann's punchy color-block design at Kate Spade. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Rebecca Minkoff: Since the show was inspired by Frida Kahlo, manicurist Michelle Saunders for Essie decided on a Day of the Dead design. (Photo: Courtesy of essie)
- Cynthia Rowley: To get these blinged out manis, nail artist Casey Herman for Essie used a mishmash of blue, black, and two different sparkly topcoats.(Photo: Courtesy of essie)
- Charlotte Ronson: Nail artist Shelly Burns for Color Club opted for a uniform polka dot design that’s not just adorable, it’s also easy to replicate yourself.
To take a look at other great NYFW trends, click here.
Operations Coordinator, Loren, has a thing for nails—and we can’t blame her. We love reading about new finishes and fun techniques, so we thought we’d give her a slot on our blog to wax poetic about all things manicure (and pedicure!) related.
We’ve had our eye on the white polish trend since we first spotted the look at spring Fashion Week—and now that it’s finally warm enough to really embrace the bright hue, the color has completely blown up here in the Birchbox office.
While it might not necessarily be your go-to color, we love that white is such a versatile and classy summer shade. (It can really give an outfit extra pop!) I’ve rounded up three of my favorite white polishes to try if you’re feeling adventurous:
The Quintessential Spring Fashion and Beauty Look
Spring and summer are my happiest times of year because I can wear my favorite clothes. (Note: I am an u-g-l-y cold weather dresser—I spend the entirety of the winter bundled in a rather unflattering Patagonia puffer.) With warm days just around the corner—fingers crossed—I am ready to shed my un-chic layers and embrace my most beloved trend of the season: chambray.
I’ve spent a lot of time in the Madewell store recently (everyone on Birchbox’s mailing list got a $25 off $75+ and I took full advantage) and as a result, I’m really inspired to layer denim on denim—on denim! If you and I happen to have my same taste, then you’re in luck: I’ve shopped out my fave Madewell look from head to toe.
- Jean Vest: There’s something really badass about a shrunken denim vest. It adds edge to even the girliest of outfits and is just as great over long sleeves as it is over tank tops.
- Perfect Chambray Ex-boyfriend Shirt: The loose fit and light wash make this a versatile essential.
- Skinny Skinny Ankle Jean in Black Frost Wash: If you don’t have a great pair of slim-fit black denim in your closet, run (don’t walk) and pick up a pair stat. These go with everything.
Want more tips on how to look like a Madewell girl? Watch our video!
As much as we love nail art, we’re better at admiring designs than coming up with them ourselves. That’s why we’ve enlisted Anna Norman, the smarty pants behind Glitter, She Wrote, to be a regular contributor. Every Monday, she’ll be sharing her latest lacquer inspiration—you won’t be satisfied with plain ol’ polish again.
Unless you’re heading to prom or a wedding, French tips in the classic pink and white color scheme can feel a little dated. Luckily for us, there’s a new way to wear the time-tested favorite this spring. French manicures with a pop of bright, unexpected color were all over the Spring 2013 Fashion Week runways, and it’s such a simple look to recreate at home. I love this orange and nude diagonal design from the Lauren Moffatt show. Here’s how to get the look.