Reading List: Get Party Ready in Just 10 Minutes, Life Lessons from Vince Vaughn (Seriously), 5 Get-Happy Tips, and More
1. Holiday Beauty How To: We’re over the moon to announce a series of holiday makeup tutorials with InStyle. First up, InStyle’s Beauty Director Kahlana Barfield teaches Mollie how to get holiday party ready in just 10 minutes.
2. Vince Vaughn’s Life Lessons: Who knew this funny guy had a soft spot? Fresh off the premiere of his new film, Delivery Man, Vince Vaughn opens up to Birchbox Man about being yourself, the importance of change, and the role of friendship.
3. 5 Ways to Be Happy Now: Beat your seasonal blues with these surefire tips to make you smile. Spoiler alert: Doing good for others is one of the best ways to turn your frown upside down.
4. Queen Karlie: Our UK team goes all fangirl on their #1 style inspiration, the angelic Karlie Kloss. Find out why they love her and (bonus!) how to get her signature look.
5. Flipboard x Birchbox: Birchbox’s new partnership with Flipboard makes it easy to shop via your tablet or phone. Even better? Act like a Birchbox editor and curate your own shareable wishlists with friends and family!
Good news: purchase a Birchbox subscription by November 17 and you’ll score our amazing November Birchbox. Packed with topnotch samples from can’t-miss brands, it has everything you need stay gorgeous all month long.
Finding the right skincare routine can be like solving a jigsaw puzzle. Which product do you use when? (And where? and how?) This week the experts at DDF Skincare (whose Amplifying Elixir some of you may find in your box this month!) hopped on Twitter to answer your questions about piecing together the ideal skincare routine. From when to exfoliate to the benefits of their oh-so-cool new tool, the Revolve 500x, here are our top five favorite tips we learned from our chat:
1. When cold weather hits, double up: “Try exfoliating twice per week, and use a moisturizer with glycerin to help with winter dryness.”
Huge pores may have been the only beauty woe suffered by Mean Girls diva supreme Regina George (played by plucky actress Rachel McAdams), but unfortunately many of us can relate. The unsightly problem occurs when dirt, oil, or dead skin cells gather at the base of hair follicles, causing the pores to clog and look larger than we’d like. Instead of exfoliating with sandpaper to get gunk-free pores, we recommend these wonderful products:
1. dr. brandt microdermabrasion skin exfoliant. Buff away dead skin cells and erase dirt and oil with this gentle yet effective exfoliant. This facial scrub mimics in-office microdermabrasion treatments without any chapping, irritation, or harmful chemicals. A few uses will have your skin bright and renewed in no time.
2. DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer. Once your face is freshly scrubbed clean, smooth on this serum to hydrate skin and repair damaged skin cells. The formula fills pores and wrinkles for an all-over smooth look, while powerful amino peptides work to regenerate your skin.
3. IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores. Top off your regimen with this finishing powder. The super-fine fragrance- and talc-free powder erases lines and makes pores appear tighter while vitamins A, C, and E fight off free radicals. Give yourself a light dusting with a large brush and watch the airbrushing effects create smooth-skin perfection.
While I love summer weather, I’m not a huge fan of the heat and sweat threatening me with breakouts. Piling on the necessary amount of sunscreen and heavy makeup doesn’t exactly make my skin a happy camper. I’d rather be enjoying the sun than worrying about breakouts. That’s why I’m revamping my usual beauty routine with help from our latest video.
These 5 tips will help you avoid those pesky pimples and keep your skin happy. Summer skincare is all about keeping it light and fresh so I always look for products that will keep my skin matte. Supergoop!® SPF 30+ Everyday UV Lotion for Face and Body is a perfect sunscreen that will keep your skin protected without feeling greasy. I don’t have perfect skin so I rely on at least a little coverage in the summer. CC creams like Pur Minerals CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 provide enough coverage without the feel of heavy makeup. Kiss those breakouts goodbye!
There are a couple great upsides of my oily complexion: 1. no dry flaky skin most of the year and 2. an occasionally dewy appearance in photos. But one of the major downsides is that in extra hot and humid weather, no matter how much mattifier I wear or how many oil-absorbing sheets I have on hand, inevitably within an hour of being outside, I will be a gleaming glistening mess. And that means I can expect my fair share of breakouts coming very soon.
The one surefire way I’ve discovered to avoid seriously bad flare ups this time of year: using salicylic acid products. The latest formula that I’ve added to my regime is DDF’s acne control treatment and it’s one of the most effective that I’ve tried.
Any Michiganders out there? This week our senior manager of social media, Rachel, is leaving for her wedding in Charlevoix, Michigan! (Note: longtime Birchbox fans have probably been anticipating this day since October when her engagement bling started popping up all over our Instagram feed.)
Before Rachel left Manhattan for her two week stint in the Midwest we made her spill the beans about which products made the cut for her big trip. Here’s what she’s taking with her, and why:
Leave it to a social media community manager to create a custom hashtag for her vacation! Our Rachel S. is en route to Mexico to attend her friends’ wedding in Puerta Vallarta. Before she left we took a peak into her toiletries and makeup bags. Here are a few of her favorite products that she brought along:
1. Supergoop: Well, duh. Sun protection is my numero uno concern!
2. Miracle Skin Transformer Treat & Conceal: I’m addicted to this concealer. It’s perfect for hiding under-eye circles (which I hope to get rid of on this trip with a the serious dose of relaxation) and any unexpected blemishes.
This month, we’re taking you to Beauty School with a collection of samples to help you stock up for the coming season. There aren’t any notebooks or pens, but you’ll find exciting new must-haves. Find out about some of the many samples in this month’s box—plus the details on our first ever Birchbox Find.
And, since we know how much you love these Sneak Peeks, we’re giving you the chance to win every single full-size product featured in this video. Simply comment on our YouTube video page with your answer to Hayley’s question: “What beauty products are you stocking up on for fall?” Make sure you’re subscribed to our YouTube channel and we’ll notify the winner via YouTube message on 8/28. Can’t wait to hear from you!
A new month means new products in the Birchbox Shop! Find out what we can’t wait to get our hands on this month!
The first thing you learn at aesthetics school is that fancy packaging, while lovely to look at, doesn’t do anything for your skin. It’s the ingredients that matter. Since my training years ago, I’ve become a complete snob about skincare. I’m usually skeptical of dermatologist brands because they can sometimes be more expensive without delivering more than the average product. But I am proven wrong again and again — most recently by DDF.
I’ve been using their Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer, and I swear it was created just for me. For one thing, my biggest skin concern is oily skin and pore size (I swear everyone else can see them!). Secondly, I am huge into serums, as they are a straight shot of vitamins for the skin. I’ve been using the pore minimizer as my stand-alone moisturizer and I’m completely hooked. Not only does this product act like a primer, as it fills in pores and fine lines, but it definitely minimized the appearance of my pores. I’d even call it a four-in-one because in addition to being a primer and a pore-shrinker, it also prevents aging and moisturizes with Panthenol (Vitamin B). That’s a rock star product!
Read all about DDF and the science behind their products here.
All week, We Heart This founders Stef and Tyna have been sharing their Grown Up Girls Guide to Beauty. Today, Tyna tells us how she conquered adult acne.
Five Tips for Adult Acne
Many moons ago, I remember sitting with my girlfriends in high school dreaming of our adult lives. You know, when we would finally be done with school, live on our own, go out when and wherever we wanted…and finally outgrow pimples. I would nod along when the subject of acne came up, content and silently smug in my relatively zit-free existence. But right around my 25th birthday, when I could finally do all those things we dreamed about, karma struck back in the form of adult acne. For the next ten years I fought a war with pimples, blackheads, redness, and dark spots. And while I didn’t win every battle, I gathered valuable knowledge along the way. Today, I’m passing some of my most valuable ‘ammunition’ on to you to use in your fight against the dreaded adult acne.
1. We all know, no matter what I say, you’re still going to pick. At least, get the right tools. Your adult skin deserves more than sharp nails (prone to leaving marks) and imprecise (and let’s face it, dirty) fingertips. Use a sterilized, stainless steel blemish extractor to pop whiteheads and to carefully extract blackheads. I have a double-ended loop from Sephora that’s been serving me well for over ten years.
3. Even with the best skincare regimen, you may still get a couple of big ol’ zits. The key is to think of your skin like fine linen and spot treat as much as possible. I reach for the classic pink Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, and use a teeny-tiny dab. Bonus Spot Treatment Tip: Want to know the best and greenest (not to mention free) pimple fighter out there? ICE! Icing down pimples (two to three times a day for ten minutes) will drastically reduce the size, inflammation and pain associated with a big zit. This treatment also works wonders on Cystic Acne (which is a completely different beast then regular adult acne–you can read my tips for cystic sufferers here).
4. If you suffer from prolong and/or intense adult acne, it might be time to make a few lifestyle changes. This one’s a triple threat, ya’ll.
a) Stop smoking – as if you need another reason to quit. Research suggests kicking the habit can help clear skin.
b) Clean up your diet – You are what you eat. A diet that’s loaded with fruits and veggies, lots of water and low on alcohol can only help your skin. Others have success by cutting dairy, wheat or gluten from their diets.
c) Stay out of the sun - An unprotected day frolicking in the sun may temporarily dry out skin and pimples – but you’ll most likely pay for it with a fresh skin eruption a few days after your time in the sun. Limit your time in direct sunlight, wear a hat (or carry a parasol!) and always wear sunscreen. These lifestyle changes just may make a drastic change in your skin, and as adults we know it’s time to start treating our bodies with a bit more respect – start here.
5. If all else fails, see a doctor. A trusted dermatologist may be able to get to the root of the problem and can be a valuable ally for life, while a trip to your gynecologist may find a low dose birth control pill can calm hormonal acne problems.