Leave it to a social media community manager to create a custom hashtag for her vacation! Our Rachel S. is en route to Mexico to attend her friends’ wedding in Puerta Vallarta. Before she left we took a peak into her toiletries and makeup bags. Here are a few of her favorite products that she brought along:
1. Supergoop: Well, duh. Sun protection is my numero uno concern!
2. Miracle Skin Transformer Treat & Conceal: I’m addicted to this concealer. It’s perfect for hiding under-eye circles (which I hope to get rid of on this trip with a the serious dose of relaxation) and any unexpected blemishes.
This month, we’re taking you to Beauty School with a collection of samples to help you stock up for the coming season. There aren’t any notebooks or pens, but you’ll find exciting new must-haves. Find out about some of the many samples in this month’s box—plus the details on our first ever Birchbox Find.
And, since we know how much you love these Sneak Peeks, we’re giving you the chance to win every single full-size product featured in this video. Simply comment on our YouTube video page with your answer to Hayley’s question: “What beauty products are you stocking up on for fall?” Make sure you’re subscribed to our YouTube channel and we’ll notify the winner via YouTube message on 8/28. Can’t wait to hear from you!
A new month means new products in the Birchbox Shop! Find out what we can’t wait to get our hands on this month!
The first thing you learn at aesthetics school is that fancy packaging, while lovely to look at, doesn’t do anything for your skin. It’s the ingredients that matter. Since my training years ago, I’ve become a complete snob about skincare. I’m usually skeptical of dermatologist brands because they can sometimes be more expensive without delivering more than the average product. But I am proven wrong again and again — most recently by DDF.
I’ve been using their Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer, and I swear it was created just for me. For one thing, my biggest skin concern is oily skin and pore size (I swear everyone else can see them!). Secondly, I am huge into serums, as they are a straight shot of vitamins for the skin. I’ve been using the pore minimizer as my stand-alone moisturizer and I’m completely hooked. Not only does this product act like a primer, as it fills in pores and fine lines, but it definitely minimized the appearance of my pores. I’d even call it a four-in-one because in addition to being a primer and a pore-shrinker, it also prevents aging and moisturizes with Panthenol (Vitamin B). That’s a rock star product!
Read all about DDF and the science behind their products here.
All week, We Heart This founders Stef and Tyna have been sharing their Grown Up Girls Guide to Beauty. Today, Tyna tells us how she conquered adult acne.
Five Tips for Adult Acne
Many moons ago, I remember sitting with my girlfriends in high school dreaming of our adult lives. You know, when we would finally be done with school, live on our own, go out when and wherever we wanted…and finally outgrow pimples. I would nod along when the subject of acne came up, content and silently smug in my relatively zit-free existence. But right around my 25th birthday, when I could finally do all those things we dreamed about, karma struck back in the form of adult acne. For the next ten years I fought a war with pimples, blackheads, redness, and dark spots. And while I didn’t win every battle, I gathered valuable knowledge along the way. Today, I’m passing some of my most valuable ‘ammunition’ on to you to use in your fight against the dreaded adult acne.
1. We all know, no matter what I say, you’re still going to pick. At least, get the right tools. Your adult skin deserves more than sharp nails (prone to leaving marks) and imprecise (and let’s face it, dirty) fingertips. Use a sterilized, stainless steel blemish extractor to pop whiteheads and to carefully extract blackheads. I have a double-ended loop from Sephora that’s been serving me well for over ten years.
3. Even with the best skincare regimen, you may still get a couple of big ol’ zits. The key is to think of your skin like fine linen and spot treat as much as possible. I reach for the classic pink Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, and use a teeny-tiny dab. Bonus Spot Treatment Tip: Want to know the best and greenest (not to mention free) pimple fighter out there? ICE! Icing down pimples (two to three times a day for ten minutes) will drastically reduce the size, inflammation and pain associated with a big zit. This treatment also works wonders on Cystic Acne (which is a completely different beast then regular adult acne–you can read my tips for cystic sufferers here).
4. If you suffer from prolong and/or intense adult acne, it might be time to make a few lifestyle changes. This one’s a triple threat, ya’ll.
a) Stop smoking – as if you need another reason to quit. Research suggests kicking the habit can help clear skin.
b) Clean up your diet – You are what you eat. A diet that’s loaded with fruits and veggies, lots of water and low on alcohol can only help your skin. Others have success by cutting dairy, wheat or gluten from their diets.
c) Stay out of the sun - An unprotected day frolicking in the sun may temporarily dry out skin and pimples – but you’ll most likely pay for it with a fresh skin eruption a few days after your time in the sun. Limit your time in direct sunlight, wear a hat (or carry a parasol!) and always wear sunscreen. These lifestyle changes just may make a drastic change in your skin, and as adults we know it’s time to start treating our bodies with a bit more respect – start here.
5. If all else fails, see a doctor. A trusted dermatologist may be able to get to the root of the problem and can be a valuable ally for life, while a trip to your gynecologist may find a low dose birth control pill can calm hormonal acne problems.