TheGloss is one daily must-reads (right up there with the NY Times). We love the site’s witty approach to style and its smart and irreverent voice. We like the writing so much, in fact, that we’ll be featuring one of their posts each week here on the Birchbox blog.
What happens when you wear nail polish on your lips? Besides looking pretty, obviously?
After Daphne Guinness “experimented” by applying her new MAC nail polish to her lips, celebrity make-up artist Rachel Wood noted, ‘As far as nail polish goes…I’m not sold on using it for the lips. First of all most polishes contain fomaldehyde, not a substance I would suggest to ingest.’
Read the rest of the article here.
Some other links from TheGloss you might like:
Welcome to December! This week we’re reading about the most attractive cities in the US, the latest celebrity to create a collection with MAC (isn’t there a new collaboration every week?), and ways to calm down our freaked out skin. Plus, learning about a new organic skincare line from a model and laughing at crazy vintage beauty ads. Keep reading for our favorite links this week.
- Travel and Leisure has released its annual reader survey of the cities with the most attractive residents. Among them are Charleston, Denver, and Miami. Our home town, New York, didn’t even crack the top ten. Hmph, obviously a mistake. [Huffington Post]
- Daphne Guinness designed a collection for MAC! The 21 piece collection will be available December 26th through February 9th and looks like it’s going to inspire quite a few post-holiday shopping sprees. [Refinery29]
- It’s funny how much beauty standards have changed over the years. The Gloss dug up some vintage ads extolling the virtue of adding few extra pounds, something we don’t think we’ll be seeing in our magazines anytime soon. [The Gloss]
- Sometimes, no matter how many awesome products you’re using, stress and other emotional problems get in the way of clear skin. This slideshow of some common issues and their solutions will no doubt come in handy this season. [Allure]
- Speaking of clear skin, model (and Orlando Bloom’s Wife) Miranda Kerr has got it. Kerr, who studied nutrition before her career took off, will now be releasing an organic skincare line, Kora, in the US. It’s apparently been available since 2009 in Australia and is just making its way over here. We can’t wait to try it! [Vogue]
Take a look at our favorite product picks in the Birchbox Shop today.
Photos: WWD; Bellasugar
Happy Friday and welcome to another reading list! NYFW is finally over, which means we can get back to a normal (whatever that means) schedule and catch up on some of the stories we didn’t have time for last week.
- FIT is paying homage to fashion icon Daphne Guinness with an exhibit starting today and running through Jan 7th. If you’ve ever wondered what’s going on in her closet, now’s your chance to find out. [WWD]
- If you think the fashion week beauty should be left on the runway, think again. Here are 10 beauty looks straight from Lincoln Center that prove fashion –y beauty can be wearable too. [bellasugar]
- Have you seen the Lanvin Fall 2011 campaign movie with Karen Elson, Raquel Zimmermann and Alber Elbaz dance to Pitbull’s I Know You Want Me? Videographer David Sherman redid the video with people hanging outside Lincoln Center and it’s even more fun than the original. [Styleite]
- It’s Friday, which means we’ll be putting on some eyeliner before heading out to happy hour with the girls. This guide to four different types of liner is helping us sort through our makeup bag for the perfect option. [TheBeautyDepartment]
- We’ve seen more pictures of hair and makeup from the runway than we’d care to remember this week but there’s an easy way to cut through the clutter and find the standout looks. Head over to Refinery 29 to “rate the runway.” [Refinery29]
Now that cold weather is moving in, pick up some new items from our shop to help you transition to fall.