3 posts tagged cronut
Who else is happy to live in a world where there is a cronut recipe for all! Now you can make this delicious treat from the comfort of your own kitchen.
The Skinny Mirror, Cronuts Without the Wait, and More
- The entrepreneur behind the new Skinny Mirror says it will make you look 10 pounds thinner and is meant to spur self-confidence and a healthier body image. [The Cut]
- Cronuts for a Cause: Donate to the NYC Food Bank and you could be rewarded with a fresh limited-edition passion fruit cronut. [Grub Street]
- If you’re growing out your bangs this sweltering summer, here are 10 ways to keep them out of your face. [Beauty High]
- Tao Okamoto, the model-turned-actress and main love interest in The Wolverine, gives her best tips on vacationing. [Fashionista]
- DJ Khaled made a public proposal to Nicki Minaj on MTV over the weekend. Despite initial thoughts that it was a joke, the musician confirmed that it was legitimate. [Us Weekly]
- Enhance blue eyes with these sweet makeup tricks. [Bella Sugar]
Presenting the Latest Baked Good Trend: The Cronut
Our sweet tooth went into overdrive at just the thought of this new sugary creation. Last Friday, Soho-based bakery Dominique Ansel released this hybrid croissant-donut—aka “the cronut”—and New Yorkers literally ate it up (35 minutes after the bakery opened cronut inventory was sold out!). Obviously, now the Interwebz is blowing up about this baked good development, and we’re seriously considering getting up early tomorrow morning just to taste one.
And it seems that we’re not the only ones: someone highly dedicated to this flaky treat has made a support website called cronut.org for people to share the love or grieve about missing the last one in the shop.
What do you guys think about the cronut? Is it here to stay or another passing dessert trend (à la the cupcake)?
UPDATE: I couldn’t resist. I hurried down to Dominique Ansel Bakery this morning at 7:45am and found myself in line with about 15 other people (and a TV crew for that matter) eagerly awaiting the chance to try the much-raved about cronut. At 8am, the bakery opened its doors and I snatched up a few to share with my co-workers. When I left around 8:15, the bakery only had 3 left and many cronut-hopefuls went home empty handed. If you’re looking to try one, arrive early! Also keep in mind that they have a limit of 6 cronuts per customer.
So what did it taste like? Very rich. It also had a sweet vanilla bean cream in the middle of its crisp and flaky layers, which was a nice surprise. I’m not sure I could eat a whole one, but I definitely enjoyed it. My verdict: cronuts are worth the hype. (Although, at $5 each, I won’t be buying one every day.)
(Top photo: @socked)