When it comes to hair, stylist Amalia Moscoso of The Hair Dame knows what she’s talking about. From the latest and greatest products to the hottest celebrity hair trends, Moscoso has a range of expertise which she’ll be sharing all week long right here on the Birchbox blog.
Miley Cyrus getting her locks chopped by stylist Chris McMillan.
We’ve all looked at ourselves in the mirror and wondered if it was time to switch our hair up: Should I get bangs? Would I look good as a blonde? Maybe I could rock Anne Hathaway’s pixie…
But before you do anything drastic and have to call up your hairdresser for an emergency appointment, consider these few guidelines when it comes to changing your ‘do.
Top 7 Best Dressed at the 2013 Oscars
This year’s Oscars have been a parade of surprises—and not in the way you’d think. From minimal color to minimal volume to minimal jewelry, the red carpet was ruled by neutrals and bare shoulders. While there were certainly a few over-the-top gowns, the fashions erred more on the side of demure femininity. Here are our top six favorite looks—and we want to hear yours too!
- Jennifer Lawrence in Dior: We’re not ranking our picks, but if we had to vote for best dressed it would go hands down to the Silver Linings Playbook star. The pale pink, delightfully poofy gown set off her pale complexion perfectly. And can we talk about the delicate jewels draped down her back? Amazing.
- Naomi Watts in Armani: This memorable sparkler definitely has the coolest neckline we’ve seen in a while. We’re thrilled that Watts wore her hair up to show off the dress’ geometric lines.
- Charlize Theron in Dior Haute Couture: This fitted white peplum stunner highlights every single one of the actress’ features, especially her supershort haircut. You are a vision, Charlize.
- Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen: Halters are hard to pull off but the Les Misérables star looked radiant in her beaded number.
- Jessica Chastain in Armani Prive: Redheads take note: Nude is definitely your color. Our jaws dropped when we saw the Zero Dark Thirty star hit the red carpet. Chastain’s retro waves and red lipstick made her look like the epitome of Hollywood glamour.
- Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta: Uhhhh. Princess gowns at the Oscars are amazing. Princess gowns made by Oscar de la Renta are even better. This powder blue frock is beyond dreamy.
- Jennifer Hudson Roberto Cavalli Couture: Sleeves, baby!The singer stunned in form-fitting navy blue, proving that you can be sexy and covered up at the same time.
For more Oscars fun, check out our Pinterest board with all of the evening’s looks.
Retro finger waves have been popular for a few years now. Charlize Theron and Megan Fox have both worn them on the red carpet, but it wasn’t until Edith from Downton Abbey started wearing them this season that we really fell for the look. Although authentic finger waves are arduous and time-consuming to attempt (they involve shaping each wave with your fingers), you can fake the same look with less time and effort.
Note: This look is easiest to do if the front layers of your hair are between your chin and shoulders in length.
Click through for the step-by-step photo tutorial:
Now that the Hunger Games madness has abated, we need a new blockbuster to obsess over. Luckily, Snow White and The Hunstman (which comes out on June 1st) fits the bill. The classic fairy tale is getting a modern-day, bad-ass update with Kristen Stewart as the fairest of them all and Charlize Theron as the evil queen. Even though the story portrays Snow White as the most beautiful woman in the world, I can’t help thinking Stewart can’t really compare to Theron, who does the evil thing so well.
From her platinum metallic eye shadow to her sculpted cheekbones and platinum braided updo, I can’t get enough. Here’s how I’m going to get the look myself this weekend:
Award season is officially upon us! First up: The 69th Golden Globe Awards. Join us on Twitter where we are live tweeting the red carpet and the award show with hashtag #bbredcarpet.