Bumble and Bumble’s heritage salon in NYC got a revamp—the first since a fire damaged the space in the 1990s. (photo: WWD)
- The final season of Gossip Girl premiered this week. In anticipation of saying goodbye to everyone’s favorite Upper East Siders, Fashionista put together a slideshow of the show’s greatest looks. Headbands will never be the same. [Fashionista]
- We fell in love with that amazing Chanel hula hoop handbag from the recent Paris show, and apparently Anderson Cooper is a fan as well. When fashion darling Alexa Chung appeared on his show this week he surprised her with her own custom version, complete with AC initials. [Refinery29]
- The 56th St. Bumble and Bumble salon has just received a major facelift. It now has a consultation bar with iPads, and shampoo station stocked with a library of literature and imagery. We can wait to make our appointment. [WWD]
- In sad media news, at least 60 people were laid off across Conde Nast today. Self and Brides were apparently particularly hard hit. [NYMag]
- Halloween is coming, and sooner than you think. Are you ready? Click through for 25 easy-peasy costumes that require little more than face paint. [BellaSugar]
You still have time to come up with a kick-butt Halloween costume. Watch our Effie Trinket Hunger Games tutorial for some inspiration.
Blair Badge is one multi-talented lady: she’s a social media manager, a beauty editor for fashion site Chictopia, a model, a newlywed and an all-around awesome gal with a penchant for witty banter. We think she, and her dreamy blog love, blair, are so awesome that we had to ask her back for a second stint as a guest blogger. This week, she’s sharing her must-have products for a night out clutch, the secret to a triple topsy tail (!), and makeup tips to get you photo-ready in a flash.
Stocking one’s purse with the necessary items for a night on the town is all about strategy. With the limited amount of space inside most fashionable clutches, it’s important that your arsenal of goodies are all necessities for a productive and enjoyable evening. Hence, I’ve broken down the contents of my handbag as inspiration for your next night out!
1. Statement Clutch: Obviously it’s important to have a bag to hold one’s contents, but also key? Picking one with an eye-catching exterior that compliments your wardrobe ensemble.
2. iPhone and Earbuds: Like most people, I can’t go anywhere without my cellphone. I’ve also become obsessed with listening to Spotify while walking to meet-up with friends. It’s a great way to pass the time and discover new artists!
Before (left) and after (right) my dramatic new makeover. Loving the new ‘do!
As a new mom, your life can kind of get stuck in a daily routine—everything revolves around baby’s next feeding and diaper changes. So I decided to shake things up a bit and get a new hairstyle, but not just any old style—I made a dramatic change and got a bob.
Taking examples from my friends and family, I decided do this drastic cut and donate my hair. I went to my favorite salon, Bumble and bumble, braided my hair and watched as the stylist chopped off fifteen inches of hair!
Our latest guest blogger, Ally of Allyson in Wonderland, is an oil and gas professional with a serious eye for great finds. We can’t get enough of her gorgeously crafted blog, where she shares her love for style, travel, and photography. This week she’s giving us a peek into her personal beauty treasure chest—and we’re taking notes.
Summer is not the best time for hair. It’s hot, humid, and for a fine-haired lady like me it’s almost impossible to have a good hair day! I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to do my hair, then I step outside and poof: it falls flat, frizzes, or curls up. I’m always looking for a wonder product to give me the world’s most perfect hair. Until I find that miracle potion though, I have three excellent products on standby.
We’re guilty of sticking with the same hair cut for years—if it’s not broke, why fix it?—but that can be a little boring. But not everyone has our issue. Paulina, one of our amazing operations associates, is always eyeing new cuts and styles. She’ll be sharing her tress inspiration and tips every other week here via her Hairistocracy column.
Summer vacations are about to kick-off and in less than a week, I’m boarding a cruise for a week-long tour through Mexico and the Caribbean! Obviously, I can’t help but muse over the hair products and accessories I’m going to pack to make sure I’ve got gorgeous hair from day one.
Signing onto Free People’s blog, BLDG 25, yesterday, I stumbled over a sneak peek of their May catalog, which was shot in Miami. This is totally the look I’m going for.
Phew, we made it through another week and April (and spring!) is just a few days away. We hope you’re out enjoying the weekend but in the meantime enjoy a few of our favorite stories from the week.
- Madonna’s having a bad week (or a great one, depending on how you look at it). First her new music video was restricted to 18+ on YouTube, and now the commercial for her new fragrance, Truth or Dare, has been banned from ABC pending some changes. The network found the ad too sexy. Click through to see for yourself. [Fashionista]
- Bumble and Bumble is coming out with a new collection of products specifically for color treated hair. Our own experience with fading color is enough to convince us we need to try this. [Style.com]
- We can’t get enough of reality stars getting made-under. They always end up looking so much better and make us wonder why they bother loading on so much makeup. Our most recent obsession is Audrina Patridge: the hottie from The Hills looks even better au natural. [xojane]
- Now that Hunger Games madness has abated, we’re moving on to the next big movie. Right now that’s the Tim Burton and Johnny Depp revival of Dark Shadows. It won’t be out until May 11th but you can start planning your movie night manicure now with a collection of four Dark Shadows polishes by Orly. [Allure]
- A new study suggests that people who eat more chocolate are thinner. And before you start asking questions, it’s legit. And just in time for Easter. [YouBeauty]
Now that spring is officially on the way, we’re getting our hands and feet into shape! Shop our favorite items in the Birchbox Shop.
We’ve got a little girl crush on singer-songwriter Madi Diaz. The songstress grew up in Lancaster, PA, the middle of Pennsylvania Dutch country, before attending Boston’s Berklee College of Music. (You might also recognize her from the 2005 documentary, Rock School.) Equal parts pop and country-tinged Americana, her debut single Let’s Go has been playing on repeat at Birchbox HQ. Earlier this month, we saw Madi play live at the Mercury Lounge and loved her retro-tinged style and rock star long locks. We caught up with the talented road warrior to find out her tour must-haves. Click through for Madi’s everyday beauty necessities.