We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything on the Birchbox blog and in the magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news that we don’t want you to miss.
1. Birchbox x Youtube: Do you subscribe to Birchbox on Youtube? (You should!) Our Youtube channel is packed with videos sharing advice on a variety of things, from how to apply liquid eyeliner to how to pack the perfect travel case, and more. Come take a look!
2. Movember Inspiration: Douglas Friedman—respected photographer, daring traveler, and the charismatic face behind a serious ‘stache—kickstarts Movember in this charming video interview.
3. Beauty Buzz: UK Edition: Our team across the pond quizzed their beauty editors on what makes them tick, from their go-to treatments to the “non-beauty” treats they’re looking forward to this fall.
4. Brow Tips from #AskBenefit: This week the brow experts at Benefit schooled us on how to handle everything from bleaching to over-plucking. Here, we share our top five most useful tips.
5. An Unsettling Photoshop Transformation: We couldn’t help but weigh in on the controversial Photoshop GIFs that made the rounds on the ‘net this week.
Discover a treasure trove of brow tips and grooming tools in the Birchbox Brows that W-O-W Shop.
Maintaining your brows can be a handful. Thankfully Jared Bailey, the brow wizard at Benefit, was kind enough to share his beauty expertise with us yesterday in a fun and informative Twitter chat. He schooled us on everything from bleaching to over-plucking, and now our notebooks overflow with new tricks—we’re Benebabes for life. Here are our top five most helpful tips gleaned from yesterdays chat:
1. “Pencil is going to be for definition, gel is to tame.”
2. When bleaching your brows, “Be careful! Bleaching around your eyes can be dangerous. Consult a brow artist in person.”
3. When trimming your brows, “Proceed with extreme caution. The key is to brush them up and trim them like a bonsai tree: very gently.”
4. “Work your natural arch! Since everyone’s brows are different, cookie-cutter styles and stencils simply won’t do.”
5. Over-plucked? “Visit a Brow Bar here for brow mapping. For a quick fix, sweep your bangs to the side!”
Want more eye-opening brow tips? You can read through the entire chat with #AskBenefit.
Check out our Brows that W-O-W category for a slew of Benefit brow products and tips.
One of the best parts about working at Birchbox is learning new tricks and discovering products. My latest Birchbox discovery was the brow pencil and the impact it can have on your appearance.
Before working here, I always thought that the only people who filled in their brows were those with light blonde hair or those with thin brows who need more definition. You can imagine then that I was skeptical when I was asked to test drive It Cosmetics’ Universal Brow Pencil. My first thought was that there’s no way a brow pencil can actually be universal. How could someone with blonde hair use the same pencil color that I do and still have it look natural?
I had to test this out and I decided to gather a few other girls from the team with different hair colors and brow shapes to help me. It amazed me to see that this one pencil did really work on all five of us. Take a look through the before and after photos below and you’ll notice just how much of a difference filling in your brows can make!
We’ve been planning our dream weddings since we were five years old. So it’s no surprise that we can’t get enough of Lover.ly, a wedding inspiration site that lets you search through pics of swoon-worthy gowns, bouquets, and everything else you need for the big day. Once a week, the ladies behind Lover.ly will be sharing their best tips for getting through the craziness of the season—whether you’re standing at the altar or enjoying a view of it from the audience.
Many of us who have naturally bushy brows have unintentionally tweezed, waxed, or threaded them into near-oblivion over the years. But your wedding is the perfect reason to start letting them fill in for a full, classic look. Here are our tips on making perfectly-groomed arches part of your wedding day beauty plan.
9 months before the wedding: Start letting your brows grow in
It will take about three months for the hair to grow in completely. This may sound really early to start working on your brows, but by the time they’re fully grown in you’ll be six months out—and you’ll be grateful for the 2-3 extra months of experimentation to get the shape just right.
We know it’s hard to keep your hands off your brows for that long, but ditching too-thin or too-short brows is well worth it. (Using Latisse on them can help them grow in faster, so talk to your dermatologist about going that route if patience isn’t your strong suit!)
We loved New York Fashion Week’s attention-grabbing beauty trends like burgundy lips and messy halo braids. But in the midst of all the big, bold looks for this fall, there was one beauty product that was conspicuously absent on many of the runways: mascara. DKNY, Lacoste, 3.1 Phillip Lim, and several other shows featured models with clean lashes that drew attention away from the eyes and instead focused it on features like flawless skin or pouty lips. We admittedly feel a bit naked without a quick swipe of mascara before heading out the door, but this new modern look has us considering leaving the makeup bag staple behind and trying something different.
When done well, a perfectly shaped and filled in eyebrow can highlight your features and draw attention to your eyes. The trouble is, it’s no easy feat whipping a set of unruly or barely there brows into shape. Luckily, we asked brow guru Sania Vucetaj, the owner of Sania’s Brow Bar in New York, to tell us how to score sleek arches, no matter what you’re starting with.
Consider this your go-to guide on how to fix the most common brow conundrums.
Draw attention to your now-perfect arches with Sumita’s Brow Base & Bright.
You could say Melanie Allen knows a thing or two about good hair. As the Marketing Manager and Content Editor of My Best Friend’s Hair—which helps readers find awesome stylists, salons and products—Melanie is particularly knowledgeable about all things ‘do. That’s why this week she’s giving us the scoop on salon etiquette, growing out your bangs, and more.
My eyebrows have always been my biggest beauty struggle. My brows are thick, unruly, and downright hard to manage, and I’ve tried it all when it comes to keeping them in check. Here are my favorite tips, tricks, and products to tame even the wildest of brows (and if it works for me, it will work for anyone!).
We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
We’ve been lusting after Camilla Belle’s eye-catching brows for years. (Photo: Getty Images)
Besides brilliant braids, the hottest trend on the West Coast these days is a bold brow. From Camilla Belle’s flawless arches on the red carpet (pictured) to Demi Lovato’s ever-evolving shape on X-Factor, Hollywood has totally gone Brooke Shields—and I like it.
If you find yourself in L.A., here’s a roundup of the best brow bars for every budget.