We were so excited to hear that one of our favorite bloggers, Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere, has teamed up with Estée Lauder. The one woman tour-de-force will be blogging for the beauty brand on a special section created just for her starting next Monday.
Happy Friday, Birchboxers! The cool weather has finally taken hold of the Northeast, but before you head to the orchard for apple picking (or, more importantly, to the store to find your Halloween costume), catch up on this week’s beauty news.
- Peeking into a model’s makeup collection is a dream come true. This ITG feature on Coco Rocha, model extraordinaire, is an illuminating look at her beauty closet and favorite products. [Into The Gloss]
- Speaking of models, Kate Moss, longtime spokespoerson for Rimmel, celebrated her ten year anniversary with the brand by creating a lipstick collection. There are 15 shades, but we already love 001, the red shade Moss sports in the ad campaign. The line has already hit stores in the UK, but should land on our shores in January. [WWD]
- This is from a few weeks ago, but we just had to mention it. The always inspiring The Coveteur ran a feature on Revlon’s global artistic director, Gucci Westman. Click through to see pictures of her home…and her handbag collection. [The Coveteur]
- If you’re a fan of OPI’s celebrity collections — Justin Bieber, The Muppets, Katy Perry, the Kardashians — you’ll be excited to hear that a new one will launch in January 2012. Want to guess with who? Drumroll please…it’s Nicki Minaj! [Fashionista]
- We must admit, we’re not always satisfied with the coverage from our concealer. But after watching this ad for Dermablend Pro, we’re now officially in need this heavy duty makeup. The clip features Zombie Boy, a model who is covered head-to-toe in very dark tattoos, and the product literally makes them vanish. Honestly, the transformation will blow you away. [The Gloss]
Photos: WWD; Bellasugar
Happy Friday and welcome to another reading list! NYFW is finally over, which means we can get back to a normal (whatever that means) schedule and catch up on some of the stories we didn’t have time for last week.
- FIT is paying homage to fashion icon Daphne Guinness with an exhibit starting today and running through Jan 7th. If you’ve ever wondered what’s going on in her closet, now’s your chance to find out. [WWD]
- If you think the fashion week beauty should be left on the runway, think again. Here are 10 beauty looks straight from Lincoln Center that prove fashion –y beauty can be wearable too. [bellasugar]
- Have you seen the Lanvin Fall 2011 campaign movie with Karen Elson, Raquel Zimmermann and Alber Elbaz dance to Pitbull’s I Know You Want Me? Videographer David Sherman redid the video with people hanging outside Lincoln Center and it’s even more fun than the original. [Styleite]
- It’s Friday, which means we’ll be putting on some eyeliner before heading out to happy hour with the girls. This guide to four different types of liner is helping us sort through our makeup bag for the perfect option. [TheBeautyDepartment]
- We’ve seen more pictures of hair and makeup from the runway than we’d care to remember this week but there’s an easy way to cut through the clutter and find the standout looks. Head over to Refinery 29 to “rate the runway.” [Refinery29]
Now that cold weather is moving in, pick up some new items from our shop to help you transition to fall.
New trend alert (again): colorful zinc oxide sunscreen. Photo from Kiss and Tell.
TGIF, am-I-right? This weekend we’re all about making the most of the end of summer and also scoping out some new fall trends. Here’s what’s on our radar before we skedaddle out of the office this afternoon.
- A new study suggests that caffeine, and in turn coffee, helps reduce the risk of skin cancer. If this is true, that gigantic coffee I consumed this morning probably just saved me. This also means there’s another extremely valid reason to eat chocolate every day. Score! [Styleist]
- In addition to filling up on coffee, we’ll be loading on the sunscreen for the rest of the summer (and fall, and winter), especially after finding out that 80s staple Zinka (that colorful zinc oxide sunscreen) is still around. Better yet, it’s making a comeback. There’s still time to break it out at end of summer concerts and the beach! [BellaSugar]
- It’s official; the makeup look of the season is the “cat eye.” Whether you’re going big and bold with smoldering shadow or subtle with a sexy winged line, it’s time to sharpen your kohl liner and brush up on your liquid liner skillz. Our winged liner tutorial will prep you for the basics! [T Magazine]
- There seems to be a wide range of reactions to this video of Anne Hathaway rapping (in the style of Lil Wayne, naturally) about papparazzi on Conan. Is it awkward? Embarrasing? Endearing? Maybe all three. [Refinery29]
- Abercrombie tried to pull a funny pr stunt and offered to pay The Situation to stop wearing their clothes because “this association is contrary to the aspirational nature of our brand.” Apparently it backfired. [WSJ]
- Last but not least, Lauren Conrad’s website, The Beauty Department, has great tips for wearing a monochromatic beauty look — think pink lips, cheeks, and eye shadow. Ideal for lazy girls and makeup on the go. [The Beauty Department]
Shop for our favorite monochromatic makeup in the Birchbox Shop.
It’s a scorcher in New York right now and there are no signs of it letting up until Monday! While some of us will be hanging out at the beach all weekend, others will be holed up inside with the air conditioning on full blast. For those readers, we present this week’s must-know list:
- Fans of Bethenny Frankel and Skinnygirl Margarita have another reason to grab a drink this weekend. WWD reports that Frankel is releasing a new skincare line, appropriately called Skinnygirl Face & Body Solutions and Skinnygirl Mommy. You’ll have to wait until November to pick up the products at select Wal-Marts.
- If you’ve ever been intrigued by paper hats and cut outs, you must check out these two girls from Paper-Cut-Project. They’ve teamed up with kate spade ny to create amazing windswept wigs for two NYC window displays, all made completely out of paper. R29 has the deets.
- You’ve probably heard about this one but it’s just too juicy to resist sharing. Kim Kardashian is suing Old Navy over a series of ads that feature a model that bears a resemblance to her. There’s quite a debate over whether the model actually looks like Kim (or more like Nicole Scherzinger), whether Old Navy intentionally cast her to take advantage of the resemblance, and whether Kim is entitled to the $15-20 million she’s suing for. Fashionista also clued us in to another fun twist: apparently the model is currently dating Kim’s ex, Reggie Bush!
- In e-commerce news, NARS just launched a brand new website this week! It’s preeeettyyy. In addition to some fancy new product images, they also have a section called “World of Nars,” which gives more insight into the history of the brand and Francois Nars himself. Check out the site and WWD’s feature about the relaunch.
- Ad page figures for next month’s September magazine issues were released this week and Vogue and InStyle are in second place respectively. More interesting than that: apparently Anna Wintour and Vogue are working on a brand-new website, to be launched in December. Styleite speculates as to what the focus of the site will be but Wintour and any involved parties are keeping the truth under wraps (for the moment anyway).
Find our favorite NARS products in the Birchbox Shop. And don’t forget if you spend more than $100 today you will receive a free TATCHA blotting papers pack. Use code HEATWAVE.
Photo of Lady Gaga via Bellasugar.com
Happy 3-day weekend! Even though you should really be outside enjoying the weather this weekend, we do have some amazing links for you…just in case you’re stuck inside and need to catch up on your reading.
First up, Stylist has coverage from the FiFi awards (aka the Oscars of fragrance), which took place yesterday. Among the award winners were Mary J Blige, Fergie, and Halle Berry, who took home the first Elizabeth Taylor Fragrance Celebrity of the Year award.
- This week we discovered a new Tumblr and website that are have both quickly become new faves. Fashionista introduced us to Burgers and Nails, a Tumblr that’s exactly what it sounds like- pictures of burgers and nails. In a word: awesome. Actress/musician Zooey Deschanel, producer Sophia Rossi and writer/Internet sensation Molly McAleer also launched a new site this week called Hello Giggles and we’re hooked. It’s basically a hub of all things cute.
- WWD has a great little feature today about Laurice Rahme, the founder of Bond No. 9, the fragrance company, which despite having a tiny budget, has become the number one seller at Saks Fifth Avenue.
- And finally, just for fun- BellaSugar has pictures from Lady Gaga’s elaborate costume changes during her Good Morning America concert. We’re thinking our next video tutorial might have to be “How To: Talon Shaped Nails.”
Have a great weekend!
In need of a little Memorial Day treat for yourself? Visit the Birchbox Shop!
We’re always on the look out for great beauty websites, so when we found out about BeautyStat.com, a treasure trove of product reviews and trend reports, we knew we wanted to learn more. (PS read their recent story about Birchbox founders Katia and Hayley!) Founder Ron Robinson is a cosmetic chemist who developed products for some of the biggest beauty brands in the world and their Editor in Chief, Charu Suri, is a veteran beauty editor and writer. We gave Suri the “5 Questions" treatment below:
1. Your #1 must have beauty/grooming product?
I can’t live without my Clarisonic. I’m a clean skin freak because I’m always traveling or running around and the Clarisonic gives me a thorough cleanse without overdrying. Plus it’s so portable.
2. What’s worth the splurge?
The SK-II Facial Treatment Mask, which comes in a pack of six individually-packed sheets. This cotton mask is soaked Pitera and enzymes and hydrates your face like nothing else in the world. 10 sheets are $125. The SK-II Skin Signature Melting Rich Cream is worth every penny of its $250 price tag because it’s exceptionally gentle and does the job.
3. What’s on your desk in your office?
Two slim colorful vials by 21 Drops for energy and concentration, plenty of tubs of Carmex Lip Balm and Smith’s Rosebud Salve, an elegant flacon of Tocca’s perfume in “Bianca” and Living Proof’s new Straight Hair Spray.
4. What’s your favorite ritual?
I love cleansing my face thoroughly in the morning, walking my dog around the block and getting a freshly brewed cup of coffee. I can’t do anything without my coffee! Then I settle down to read the major stories of the day and schedule some on Hootsuite and other social media channels.
5. What’s the best part of your job?
Really understanding the beauty innovations and science behind all the products. If you don’t know why you’re paying money for then you’re falling for good marketing. My job allows me to dig deep and ask some hardball questions.
For some more products we think Suri would love, visit the Birchbox Shop!
Photo By: Tom Munro for WWD
- This is pretty scary and sad- The Cut, Beauty High, and Jezebel (and everyone else) are all buzzing about a mother who injected her 8-year-old daughter with Botox to get rid of her “wrinkles.” It’s safe to say everyone’s pretty unanimously outraged about this and the latest update is that the mother is being investigated by Child Protective Services.
- Kelly Bensimon, Real Housewife and occasional crazypants, filmed a YouTube video to demonstrate her new DIY hair mask, which includes olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and yes, vodka. While we do love a good salt spray for achieving beachy waves, I think we’ll stick with Phyto 7 when our hair needs a boost.
- Lucky picked their favorite beauty products of the past decade. We love the YSL Gloss in Frozen Cherry but somehow didn’t predict J Lo Glow would make the cut. Are we missing something?
- Thinking about going red a la Scarlet Johansson or Blake Lively this summer? Elle has tips from their hairstylists on avoiding bad hair days.
- Emma Watson spoke with WWD about her work with Lancome and their new fragrance, Tresor Mighnight Rose, available in September. Did you know she was born in France? She’s also growing out her pixie cut to a bob.
Check out our favorite beauty products (from this decade) in the Birchbox Shop.