Image of The Man Repeller from IntoTheGloss.com
We’re just two days away from Mother’s Day! Have you gotten your gift yet? We hope so but if not, you still have tomorrow to find something fabulous. Brush up on your Friday afternoon reading with these tasty delights and have a great weekend!
- Refinery29 editors rounded up their favorite beauty buys for this summer. As usual, we’re swooning over global editor, Connie Wang’s picks.
- In a perfect synthesis of fashion and beauty bloggy-ness, Into the Gloss has a feature about The Man Repeller herself, Leandra Medine. Check out all that NARS!
- Speaking of NARS, to celebrate the release of Founder Francois Nars’ new book, Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself, NARS is running a new contest and a chance for fans to show off their pictures at makeupyourmind.com. Learn new techniques and demonstrate your makeup artist skillz to win big.
- Allure’s Daily Beauty Reporter answers an important question today: do you really need different makeup to go with a new hair color? A resounding yes is the answer from Editorial Assistant Sophia Panych.
- One of our favorites this week is from Style.com — and it’s all about celebrating moms! Click through for quotes from some of our favorite makeup artists and beauty gurus.
Shop for some last minute Mother’s Day gifts in the Birchbox Shop.
Photo by Teri Lyn Fisher for Oh Joy.
Happy Earth Day! As you know we’ve got eco on the brain this month but this week was also Passover and Easter Weekend, which means…spring is on the way! (And Cadbury Creme Eggs, of course.) It’s the perfect time to experiment with some new makeup and an eco-friendly routine.
- Fashionista has a slideshow of the best Easter Egg-inspired Makeup Colors to try. If you ever wanted an excuse to wear pastels…this is it! And, for our more crafty readers, Oh Joy, has the prettiest inspiration images of Easter eggs that we’ve seen this year. Who’s up for dying some eggs this weekend?
- Refinery29 has a timely roundup of their favorite ways to get green right now. Apparently we should all be drinking boxed wine instead of beer…good to know!
- Blisstree tried out a natural skincare ingredient we’re unfamiliar with: Charcoal. We’re intrigued!
- NAAG, Agy Deyn’s blog, has a cure for Seasonal Effective Disorder in case you’re still suffering from a lack of nice weather: Korres Shower Gel! It’s basically a Greek vacation in a bottle and we have to agree.
- Not to toot our own horn, but we called it – hair feathers have been recognized by the New York Times as a trend! If you’re still holding out, grab an extension now.
- WhoWhatWear has expert picks from makeup artist Erin Lee Smith of her favorite eco beauty products. We’ve been dying to try Jane Iredale too!
Treat yourself this weekend with some products that are good for your skin, and the earth!
Photo from Refinery29.com
Happy April Fools! Mother Nature seems to be playing her own trick on us East Coasters today with some very unpleasant weather, so we were happy to be indoors working away and reading blogs for our links list. Here’s to being another month closer to summer!
- We’re always paying close attention to news about e-commerce (for obvious reasons), and found two excellent articles today about the direction in which it’s going. First, Bloomberg discusses the trend of digital magazines integrating online selling opportunities, an idea we happen to think is quite natural. The other, in Computer World of all places, covers a presentation from the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco earlier this week about the radical transition e-commerce will soon undergo because of three things customers want: mobility, local recommendations, and greater personalization.
- Beauty High alerted us to the fact that Oscar de la Renta debuted his new fragrance via Facebook and Tumblr this morning. This is the latest sign that the venerable brand is heavily invested in social media. The online “face” of the brand, OscarPRGirl, already has 42,110 Twitter followers and a robust Tumblr blog.
- Speaking of fragrance, Refinery 29 has perfumer Carlos Huber’s picks for top scents for spring. Parfums Del Rae’s Coup de Foudre rose fragrance just shot to the top of our wish list.
- We like Diane von Furstenberg for lots of reasons, but now we have another: The designer spoke to Harper’s Bazaar about her appreciation for wrinkles and desire to look older. How refreshing.
- In the beauty industry, you’d be hard pressed to find someone more legendary than Estee Lauder. The NYTimes has a fascinating article about the late founder’s eponymous company, worth reading for anyone interested in business, beauty, or simply strong women.
- Would you ever buy perfume based on your blood type? Well, with True Blood’s forthcoming fragrance, you’ll now have that option. Thanks BellaSugar for alerting us to this news!
Did you know you could directly ask us questions here on our blog? Click the button, “Ask Birchbox Anything!” to the right.
Photo: Imaxtree via FashionEtc
Happy Friday! The sun is shining and birds are chirping — spring is here! Probably temporarily, but we’ll take it. Here are a few of our favorite stories from this week. Have a lovely weekend!
- Fashionista covered Estee Lauder’s launch event for their “Every Woman Can Be Beautiful” campaign, which features models Constance Jablonski, Joan Smalls, and Liu Wen in the ads. The company is also releasing two new products that we’re excited to try, the Even Skintone Illuminator and Cooling Eye Illuminator.
- Elle’s Market Editor, Jade Frampton, wore monochromatic outfits for a week straight. Surprisingly challenging but also fun, it’s inspiring us to plan monochromatic beauty looks. Lavender eyes, lips, and nails sound fabulous!
- This Youtube video has been making the rounds in our office all week – budding Birchbox beauty guru?
- Into the Gloss featured Julia Restoin Roitfeld earlier this week. She talks about her modeling gig with Lancome, and preventing wrinkles now so she doesn’t have to “cheat” later with cosmetic surgery. It’s always fun to look at what other people have in their beauty arsenal.
- FashionEtc pulled together images of graphic eyeliner from the Fall 2011 shows, gorgeous! Click through to read the details.
- This is kind of amazing: The Daily What has an image of director David Lynch’s various hair moments juxtaposed with famous paintings. Surprisingly accurate!
Get on board with more spring trends with our Spring Beauty Article!
It’s barely the middle of March but rain showers in New York have us feeling like spring is right around the corner – we’re definitely ready for some warmer weather (yay, sundresses and sandals!) and beauty updates. If you’re a Birchbox member you probably know that boxes shipped this week — you may have even received yours already! That also means there is a ton of new info up on Birchbox.com, including articles and videos about everything from self tanning to our new favorite shoe designer. Here’s what else we’re reading around the web this week:
Photo via BellaSugar.com
- Kate Spade debuted a brand-new website on Wednesday and WWD has all the details. The new site places more emphasis on editorial and it’s just so bright and fun that we had to play around with it. Is it just us, or is Kate having a major moment this spring?
- Chanel debuted a new polish, Graphite, at their Fall 2011 show yesterday and Refinery29 has the first image. It’s almost enough to make us wish it was fall already…okay, not really.
- We’ve come to rely on Fashionista for their pitch-perfect fashion week coverage over the past few years and this season was no different. Today they have a nice slideshow of the best (or just most interesting) beauty looks from Paris Fashion Week. The hair at Nina Ricci and Chanel looks almost achievable…almost.
- WhoWhatWear.com is one of our favorite fashion sites so it’s no surprise we were super excited to see The Coveteur feature founders Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power. We know them from their own site but it’s so much fun to get a little peek into their homes.
- FashionEtc has a great interview with makeup artist superstar, Gucci Westman. The Global Artistic Director for Revlon talked about getting flawless skin, her favorite beauty confidence booster, and her first fashion week shows. Birchbox editor Meredith also spoke to Gucci a few weeks ago during New York Fashion Week and got her take on matte lips.
- And now for the mack daddy of all links: This week BellaSugar featured an artist named Paige Thompson, who creates lipstick art animals. Yes, you read that correctly and yes, the image above is someone’s lips. There are no words for how awesome this is.
Catch spring fever with our favorite new products in the Birchbox Shop!
Image of Pixiwoo.com from T Magazine
March Birchboxes are shipping next week so get excited! To get you through the weekend, we’ve got a few fun links. It’s a bit late (and it’s Friday) so we’ll be brief!
- Unless you’ve been living under a rock, then you know that there is some serious drama surrounding Dior and John Galliano at the moment. The situation won’t be resolved anytime soon but WWD has been feeding us updates all week.
- Fashionista's awesome roundup of the best in beauty news today all strangely relates to hair, including a new Fekkai and Proenza Schouler partnership. We’re drooling! The site also brought us amazing coverage of Lady Gaga's intense “Born This Way” manicure by Deborah Lippmann.
- BellaSugar showcases the best haircolor and cosmetic combos…even though some of the makeup seems repetitive, the pictures are gorgeous.
- Refinery29 keeps us on our toes week after week with their nail art trend pieces. We love these “V-Gap” nails by Sophy Robson and will be trying them ASAP.
Photo by Luca Cannonieri / GoRunway.com via Style.com
Yep, that’s right, it’s rainy and gross here in NYC this afternoon. Other than giving us a bad case of S.A.D., the weather’s not inspiring much of anything. Hopefully you’re reading this from some amazing beach somewhere, in which case — get off your laptop/blackberry/iPad! If like us, you’re stuck inside all day, take a look at our handy reading list.
P.S. in case you couldn’t tell from our earlier post, it’s our trusty leader Mollie’s birthday on Sunday! Head over to our Facebook or Twitter (@molliechen or @birchbox) to wish her a Happy Birthday!
- First up, the shocking news out of the fashion industry today: WWD reported this morning that Dior has suspended John Galliano after a rumored altercation and possible anti-Semitic statements.
- Sadly, we actually missed this WSJ article about the fashion bloggers Tumblr sent to Fashion Week when it came out a few weeks ago. Despite the tardiness, it’s still an interesting look at the intersection of tech and fashion. Plus, you know we love us some Tumblr.
- Style.com’s Beauty Counter Blog has been diligently covering the various fashion week’s beauty highlights. Little did we know that while we were having our own hair feather fun, Frida Giannini was sending hair feathers down Gucci’s runway. If that doesn’t make you want to try them, we don’t know what will!
- Fashionista rounded up the best pictures of fun nail art from NYFW. Now if only we could track down tutorials on all the creations…
- The Zoe Report was all about Tarte’s Pure Maracuja Oil today, a product we’re dying to try after reading RZ’s “glowing” review. In case you’re still a bit intimidated by face oils, take a gander at our Cheat Sheet!
- Don’t forget the Oscars are this sunday! Bella Sugar Australia has some predictions for the beauty trends to look out for. Who do you think will have the funnest/craziest/most amazing hair and makeup?
Stuck inside and suffering from S.A.D. because this winter is never-ending? Find a little pick-me-up treat in the Birchbox Shop!
It was a great week here at Birchbox. For starters, we had a beyond stellar response to our special Valentine’s Day promotion. We also wrapped up our Fashion Week coverage and even scored interviews with heavy-hitters like Bobbi Brown and Ouidad. And lastly, the editorial team spent the entire day yesterday filming fabby new videos for March. Whew. We are definitely looking forward to the long weekend. Yay for Washington’s Birthday! A few links to get you going:
- The cool kids at The Hair Pin tapped illustrator Lisa Hanawalt for their Fashion Week-approps series of illustrations about everyone’s favorite editrix: Anna Wintour. (Our favorite? “Anna Wintour does not have bowel movements. But she does lay stunning eggs.”)
- New York Magazine talked male model Miles Garber into taking a FlipCam around town to capture his wild, and rather spastic, Fashion Week adventures.
- Are caviar manis the next big thing? If Refinery 29 says so, it must be true. We’re ready to give this technique a spin - all we need is a trip to the bead shop.
- We love a good beauty transformation so naturally we’re intrigued by StyleCaster's roundup of “model-morphoses.”
- Please say it ain’t so: StyleList reports that SJP wants to do an a third SATC movie. Wasn’t the second one bad enough?
- We did our own share of running around, but we’ll bow down to the girls in Allure's beauty closet - they have a roundup of the most outrageous moments of Fashion Week 2011, including glitter eyebrows and a prominent black eye.
- Most likely in an effort to give Gilt Group a real run for its money, Nordstrom has acquired private sale site HauteLook and, according to New York Magazine, it didn’t come cheaply.
- Bravo to Fashionista for putting together a comprehensive look at the best beauty looks to hit the runways during NYFW. Up next? Milan and Paris!
The check out all the backstage action that our Birchbox staffers saw this NYFW, click here.
Phew, what a hectic week this was at Birchbox HQ! Our February boxes shipped (have you received yours yet? It’s on the way!); it was Social Media Week; and we’re also smack in the middle of New York Fashion Week! (Speaking of, for all the insider details follow our Fashion Week coverage here.)
- Who among us hasn’t at one time or another flipped through Allure Magazine and been inspired by Editor Linda Wells’ splashy pics of lotions and paints? We certainly have. It’s validating to read this NY Times profile of Wells, with insight into both her and the magazine she founded 20 years ago this month.
- StyledOn put together a gorgeous slideshow of designers’ inspirations for this week’s shows. There are sketches, snaps, and quotes from some of our favorite designers including Catherine Malandrino, Chris Benz, and Rebecca Minkoff. Inspiring, indeed!
- Daily Candy knows we need lots of food to keep our energy up during Fashion Week. Actually, we just need lots of food all the time. They’ve tapped the snarky smart food bloggers from Immaculate Infatuation to pick the best spots to grab a bite near FW staple, Milk Studios.
- BellaSugar has a fun slideshow today of Valentines Day looks you should probably skip this year. Fun to see the girls in their office try some crazy things— but I have to say, we’re kind of into the super shiny patent lip look!
- Fashion’s new “It Girl,” Elle Fanning, (Don’t worry Tavi, we still love you!) stars in the new Rodarte and Todd Cole short film The Curve of Forgotten Things on Nowness.com. Love Elle’s deep side part and barette.
Happy Weekending (and early Valentines Day to all you romantics)!
- Lorelei Orfeo
p.s. Still looking for Valentines Day treats for yourself or a friend? Check out our special V-day shop!
Image of Linda Rodin from Style.com
Another Friday, another link round up! It feels a bit like the calm before the storm over at Birchbox HQ right now. We’re about to head into a few crazy weeks. Not only are February boxes shipping next week (woot!), it’s also Social Media Week. Not to mention, the start of the most thrilling, manic, awesome of all weeks: Fashion Week. With that in mind, TGIF:
- Fashion Copious posted the first image of Lady Gaga’s March Vogue Cover (that we know of). She’s sporting a bubble-gum pink bob, dark violet lips, and looks like she’s had her brows bleached.
- Man Candy Alert! Sorry, I had to. This video collab between Justin Wu and jakandjil.com features the antics of male models from the Milan and Paris F/W 11/12 shows. Just try not smiling, it’s impossible!
- In the Financial Times “Lunch with the FT” column Vanessa Friedman sat down with Natalie Massenet, founder of Net-a-Porter and the new off-shoot, Mr. Porter. She’s also essentially responsible for luxury e-tailing as we know it today, no big deal.
- Fashionista covers new high-tech advancements in skin care this week. Coolest by far are the “twist and mix” vials of La Prairie Cellular Power Infusion. We’re also loving the Philosophy Keep The Peace line, available in March.
- Style.com’s Beauty Counter Blog spoke with the founder of Rodin-Olio Lusso, Linda Rodin about her beauty routines. At 63, she seems to have discovered the fountain of youth.
Loving Linda Rodin and Gaga’s bold lips? Us too! Check out our guides to wearing red or orange!