If you haven’t heard of the online comedy series SRSLY (pronounced “seriously”) yet, let us be the proud first folks to introduce you. If you have heard of it, then you’ll know why we love the two brilliant NYU and Upright Citizen Brigade alumnae behind it. Alexandra Fiber and Danielle Gibson’s short, snappy videos are loosely based on their 20-something lives in New York. The hilarious moments adeptly touch on experiences that many of us have every day. All this week, they’re sharing their beauty inspirations in their typical witty style.
We love hair talk, and we’ve got some SRSLY strong opinions. Check it, don’t wreck it (your hair, that is):
1. Save the ponies for the glue factory.
That means no ponytails, EVER! (Okay, fine: at the gym it’s cool). Your hair shouldn’t be like a scary secret attic creature. Let it be free! If you’re rocking a chronic pony, it’s probably time for a haircut.
A poster girl for bangs, Zooey Deschanel is rarely seen without her set of bushy fringe. Deschanel recently told Bella Sugar how she keeps her hairstyles fresh:
"Your hair is part of your identity, and I’ve always felt like a brunette with bangs. I’ve grown them out before, but I feel more comfortable with them. I sweep them sometimes for a little change of pace. They have their own personality!"
I love that Zooey experiments with her look while staying true to it, so I went in search of photographic evidence to see how she switches things up. Allow me to highlight three examples of innovative bang-spiration:
It’s the last weekend in April, which means May flowers are just around the corner and rain showers are (hopefully!) behind us. Before you get to your weekend plans, read our favorite stories from around the web. It was quite a week in hair news and the end of an era for one fashion industry mainstay, so you won’t want to miss this week’s list.
- The big news in the fashion world yesterday was the announcement that Betsey Johnson has filed Chapter 11 and, it sounds like, will be closing up shop immediately. In true Betsey style though, a farewell party was held yesterday for employees (now unemployed), with cupcakes and champagne. [Elle]
- Zooey Deschanel is nearly as famous for her signature bangs as she is for her acting career. We’re not surprised to hear she just landed a major spokesmodel gig with Pantene. [Fashion etc]
- Jennifer Connelly switched up her color this week and went blonde for her new movie, “Virginia.” While we miss her glossy brown locks, the movie looks great! [Huffington Post]
- We can’t get enough of nail polish collaborations, especially when they come out ahead of schedule. The new Thakoon x NARS polishes were released at Nordstrom this week and we can hardly wait to pick them up. [SheFinds]
Shop our Best Sellers in the Birchbox Shop.
Notable Quotables is a weekly series featuring a great quote. Whether it’s the founder of a beloved beauty brand, an eccentric makeup artist making headlines, or even a super-stylish celebrity, our favorite tastemakers always have something worth sharing. We’ve been big fans of Ms. Deschanel and her website, Hello Giggles, for a while now, but this award season she’s been more in demand than ever. From her tuxedo nail art at the Golden Globes, to her sitcom show New Girl, to her retro style, we can’t get enough. The actress/singer-songwriter/girly-girl talked to Allure about her signature look.
"I’m bangs and eyes. It’s who I am. There have been periods when I’ve grown my bangs out, but I always cut them back, so it’s like, why go through the trouble?"
—Zooey Deschanel to Allure Magazine