The Top 10 Coolest Hairstyles At NYFW
New York Fashion Week may have ended last week, but we’re still reveling in the backstage festivities (and recovering). At this point, however, we’ve had some time to process it all, and we’re ready to deliberate on next season’s biggest trends and most fashion-forward looks. Today we’ve rounded up our favorite hairstyles, from the totally outrageous to the completely wearable. Check back tomorrow and Friday for our top makeup and manicure picks!
- Rebecca Minkoff: The braided crown trend lives on! Frida Khalo was the muse for these unfussy updos crafted by TRESemmé stylist Jeanie Syfu. To create the style, she plaited three different ponytails into four-stranded braids before securing with pins. (Photo: Courtesy of stila)
- Zac Posen: Is there anything more romantic and feminine than white silk flowers strewn through hair? Odile Gilbert for Kérastase masterfully executed this hairstyle—and brides-to-be everywhere are swooning. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Cynthia Rowley: Surfer girl with edge was the style at Cynthia Rowley and Staci Child for Cutler/Redken pulled it off to a tee with her half beachy wave, half punky pulled back ‘do. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Marchesa: Goth glamour was the vibe at Marchesa, where stylist Odile Gilbert for Kérastase adorned strands with dark, moody plumage. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Rachel Zoe: The perfect hybrid between a braid and a bird’s nest, this style is something you’d never want to do yourself (brushing that out must have hurt). That said, we’re so impressed by Antonio Corral’s fabulously frizzy plaits. (Photo: Courtesy of Moroccan Oil)
- Alice + Olivia: When in doubt, a sleek, low bun is always a sophisticated choice. Stylist Nick Irwin for TIGI's pro tip was to add a shine spray, flat iron the hair, and then use mousse throughout the pony before coiling it to keep flyaways at bay. (Photo: Courtesy of TIGI)
- Jason Wu: Odile Gilbert for Kérastase can take credit for the stick-straight blunt ponys at Jason Wu. To add a hint of glam, he finished the minimalist look off with gold cuffed ponytail holders—a must-have accessory for next season. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Kate Spade: Creating the perfect topknot might as well be an art form and hairstylist Tommy Bucket got it exactly right at Kate Spade. We especially loved that these chunky buns were slightly undone, which gave the hair a very effortless and real feel. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Mara Hoffman: Holy braid! The butt-grazing plaits by Nick Irwin for TIGI at Mara Hoffman were too long for real life, but we definitely plan to try a modified version of this style ourselves. (Photo: Courtesy of TIGI)
- Badgley Mischka: This delicate roll by Peter Gray for Moroccan Oil is so utterly sweet, we can’t stop staring. (Photo: Courtesy of Moroccan Oil)
Want to stay in-the-know about the latest beauty trends? Sign up for Birchbox now!
One of the best things about previewing fall collections in February? The makeup trends that are meant to be worn in autumn are actually seasonally appropriate for these last few days of winter. Before the official onset of spring and warmer weather, here are the five fashion week-inspired looks that we’re trying right now. Which one is your favorite?
Phillip Lim fall 2013. (Photo: Courtesy of NARS)
A Model’s NYFW Diary: Zac Posen
When it comes to high fashion, model Alana Zimmer is one of the biggest names in the industry. Some of her latest accomplishments: starring in the current Akris and Givenchy Beauty ad campaigns and walking in the Armani Privé and Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture shows last month in Paris. Currently the Canadian beauty is in the Big Apple for New York Fashion Week and doing her second backstage photo diary for us. Check back each day for more of her supercool pics from a model’s perspective!
- Anna and Zac posing for pics.
- My sunset walk from the Lincoln Center tents to the Plaza Hotel.
- What an upgrade! The stunning catwalk.
- Backstage mayhem.
- Beautiful Bruna in the finished look. Makeup by Kabuki; Hair by Luigi Murenu.
- The lip color up close.
Check out more NYFW backstage pics here!
BURGUNDY HUES TAKE CENTERSTAGE AT ZAC POSEN
If designer Zac Posen’s Fall 2013 collection is any indicator of beauty trends to come, burgundy is about to have a major moment. Backstage models were sporting glossy, port-wine manis and deep plum lips. Essie’s lead manicurist Michelle Saunders told us that the lacquer hue was chosen to match several evening dresses in the designer’s collection.
To create the look, Saunders and her crew applied two coats of essie’s Carry On. The crimson shade looked smashing, and its very apt name appropriately described the post-Nemo mood backstage.
MAC’s key makeup artist Kabuki contrasted ethereal white eye shadow with a wow-factor pout to build on the collection’s rich color story, outlining lips with the Pencil NC15 in Vino Lip Liner to keep lipstick smudge- and crease-free. Next, he applied MAC’s Lip Mix in Burgundy with a slim makeup brush.
Elaborating on the color, Kabuki explained, “I had Tilda Swinton in the back of my mind.” The finished look definitely evoked the regal actress’s elegance and boldness.
Find more exclusive behind the scenes images from NYFW on Birchbox’s NYFW page.
This New York Fashion Week, we have a new blog contributor—and she’s as pro as they come. Model Alana Zimmer (whose resume includes regular Vogue editorials, walking in couture shows like Armani and Jean Paul Gaultier, and starring in Nicole Miller’s fall ad campaign) is taking exclusive backstage pics for us at all the shows she’s in this season. Check back each day to see NYFW from a model’s point of view!
Estée Lauder makeup by Tom Pecheaux.
Loving the crop tops!
Up-and-coming online boutique Eve’s Apple has one of our favorite selections of fashion apparel and accessories—and we know how to shop. Started by Michele Percy and Sari Turner, the well edited e-boutique has a fantastic mix of cult-favorite brands, like Charlotte Ronson and Elizabeth & James, as well as lesser known gems, such as Adam Lippes and Mother. Lucky for us, we were able to snag a few minutes with the busy trendsetters to talk favorite designers, must-have products, and fashion (and beauty!) rules to live by.
Who’s your favorite designer?
M: I love Zac Posen. I am so excited because we just picked up Z Spoke by Zac Posen line for resort and it looks amazing. He has something for everyone. In fact, it’s a line that both my mother and I would wear.
S: At the moment, I love Jenni Kayne. She juxtaposes uncomplicated design with exquisite fabrics and the result is timeless pieces. Also, for almost every collection, she has a couple of leather pieces that I just cannot live without. When all else fails, I choose leather.
What’s your one can’t-live-without beauty product?
M: Next to clothes and shoes, makeup is my favorite thing. I am such a girly girl. And I really can’t narrow down my favorites to just one, I have three products I can’t live without: Bobbi Brown’s Pot Rouge for lips and cheeks in pale pink, Bobbi Brown’s No Smudge Mascara in jet black, and Colorescience Bronzer in It’s Only Natural.
S: Dermatal. It has been all over TV via its infomercial (first time I ever bought something off of an infomercial) and it really does reduce the puffiness and dark circles under my eyes.