26 posts tagged Video
A Look Back on a Century’s Worth of Beauty
If you haven’t had a chance to see P&G Beauty’s time capsule video looking back at a century’s worth of beauty and style—stop everything and watch it right now. This cute compilation of looks from the 1920s till now showcases some of our favorite beauty looks: flapper bobs, Rosie the Riveter-style head scarfs, Farah Fawcett hair, and today’s sock bun.
Check out the video above for a full flashback to iconic styles from the last 100 years, then tell us: which one is your fave?
Looking for more hair tutorials? Hop on over to Birchbox’s YouTube channel for a full selection of how-to’s for your mane.
Say Hello to Our Little Friend: Birchbox Man
Have you seen our supersweet Birchbox Man YouTube channel yet? If not, you’re missing out. This trailer gives you just a tiny taste of what you’ll find there (and features our awesome Birchbox Man editors Martin and Kyle).
And don’t worry—you don’t need a beard or an Adam’s apple to love Birchbox Man. There are plenty of great tips and noteworthy clips for ladies, too. Find out just what we mean by checking out our five favorite Birchbox Man videos:
- The Perfect Plank with Joey Gonzalez: Celebrity trainer Joey Gonzalez shows us how to do a proper plank to strengthen our core and get some serious abs.
- The Meatball Shop x Birchbox Man: The founders of the much-loved The Meatball Shop talk style icons, late night grub, doing business with your best friend, and the one piece of footwear every guy needs.
- Jesse Boykins III x Birchbox Man: Soul singer and soon-to-be household name Jesse Boykins III chats with Birchbox Man about personal style, musical influences, and proper sandwich ordering etiquette.
- How to: Make Your Haircut Last 2 Weeks Longer: We needed this one! Find out how to trim sideburns and put off a trip to the salon two weeks longer with these at-home tips.
- A Classic British Cut Throat Shave with Mr. Natty: Watch our favorite English barber explain the difference between American and British straight razor shaves, and break down the true definition of “bing bong.”
Send Us Your Questions and We’ll Answer With a Personalized Video!: Special Ops
We’re always looking for ways to improve your Birchbox experience—which is why we’re happy to say that we have another great way to help you learn about your products!
If you’re on Twitter, from now on when you have questions about a product, just send a tweet to @BirchboxOps using the hashtag #SpecialOps. An Ops team member will send you a video made especially for you with all the answers you need to know.
Ask us every question from how big a product is, to what is looks like on your skin, to the texture, to the smell, and more. We’ve got the answers and we’re here to help!
You can also check out the Birchbox Ops YouTube channel, where you’ll find all of our videos answering everyone’s questions. We can’t wait to hear from you!
To find out even more insider details on how to get around the Birchbox universe, check out the Ops team’s column: Special Ops.
Jesse Boykins III, Our New Limited Edition Home Box, Outdoor Beauty Essentials, and more: Reading List
We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything on the Birchbox blog and in the magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news you need to read this weekend.
- Jesse Boykins III x Birchbox Man: Soul singer and soon-to-be household name Jesse Boykins III has already collaborated with the likes of Theophilus London and MeLo-X. Here, the charismatic crooner talks personal style, musical influences, proper sandwich ordering etiquette, and the meaning of “schwaza.”
- Celebrate Spring with Our New Limited Edition Home Box!: Our latest limited edition box is here! Say hello to Birchbox Home: From the Garden. From a foolproof herb-growing kit to yummy award-winning jams, this collection is teeming with topnotch seasonal picks. No green thumb required.
- Outdoor Beauty Essentials: Warm weather means we’re spending a lot more time outside—but that also means we need to be careful about sun protection and deal with (let’s be honest) some sweaty situations. Check out our picks for our favorite springtime outdoor beauty products.
- 5 Ways to Make the Most of Seasonal Ingredients: If you’re a seasonal shopping novice, we’ve got tips for how to navigate a farmers’ market. Not sure where the closest one might be? Try Localharvest.org to find a greenmarket near you.
- How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Ever: Happy National Grilled Cheese Day! Celebrate today—and over the weekend—with the cheesiest sandwich you can whip up, or simply enjoy these delicious gifs.
Are you signed up for the April Women’s Health Birchbox yet? If not, you have until Sunday April 14th to join and get your first box this month.
Our All-Time Favorite Beauty Blunders in the Ultimate Makeup How-Not-to Video
We talk an awful lot about eye-catching beauty looks on the blog, and today we’re featuring a particularly bold one that caught our eye. Think of every beauty blunder you’ve ever committed—then imagine wearing all of them at the same time. YouTube beauty guru Sharon Farrell created that exact look in the video above using a list of makeup pet peeves from this forum on Reddit.
Suffice to say, it’s the ultimate tutorial in seriously awesome makeup snafus, from too-dark foundation and overly contoured cheeks to droopy eyeliner and goopy gloss. (I’m pretty sure I’ve committed at least three of these offenses over the years. My excuse: I grew up in the ’90s!). Watch, learn, and love—we totally did.
What’s your makeup pet peeve?
If you’re looking for a more serious tutorial in defining your cheekbones, we’ve got you covered. Here’s how to contour your face like a celebrity.
Sneak Peek: Birchbox April 2013
We’re a few days into April now and a new month means a new Birchbox is just around the corner. This month we’ve teamed up with Women’s Health to bring you a box themed around “Tiny Tweaks, Big Rewards.” We’re carrying that idea through everything we do this month—from our beauty routines, to our diets, our relationships, and more.
Watch the video above to get an early look at some of the products heading to our members this month. PLUS, be sure to keep an eye out for more videos and articles launching soon with all manner of ideas for small ways to improve your life big time. Happy Spring!
Get a head start on planning your weekends by taking a look at our April Agenda. You’ll find ideas for the best things to see, read, and do this month.
A Cautionary Tale of Curling Irons and Burnt Hair
This totally gasp-inducing video of a young lady burning her hair off with a curling iron made its rounds in our offices this morning, and our editors were universally shocked. We’ve all casually wrapped our strands around a hot iron plenty of times before, and none of us could imagine what it’d feel like to lose an entire section of hair. Yikes!
We were especially surprised because as far as we could tell, this young beauty guru’s technique was spot on. (Heat up curling iron, take small section of hair and wrap, leave for a few seconds to let the curl set.) From what we can see in the video, the fault didn’t lie with her, but instead with the overly-hot rod that she was using. Our recommendation to ensure that you don’t accidentally singe your locks? Invest in high-quality tools that maintain heat at a safe temperature.
Have you ever accidentally lost some of your locks in a battle with a heated tool?
LIMITED TIME ONLY! Shop Lancôme on Birchbox.com
As you might have seen in the Birchbox February Sneak Peek, we’re working with one of our all-time favorite brands this month: Lancôme! Starting today, Lancôme products will be available on Birchbox.com for a limited time only. In celebration, we asked a few staffers why they’re fans of the brand, and we got so many amazing stories—from memories of saving up for those covetable Juicy Tubes to the products they can’t live without to this day—that we decided to share a few of our Lancôme makeup moments with you. Watch what our staffers had to say and then tell us your Lancôme moment in the comments below.
Shop all our favorite Lancôme products in the Birchbox Shop before they’re gone!