Elizabeth Dehn of Beauty Bets Shares Her Holiday Gift Picks
Ah, the holidays—the greatest gift-giving time of the year. We know how tough it can be to come up with the perfect present for every friend, acquaintance, co-worker, and loved one in your life, which is why we’ve turned to our favorite tastemakers to tell us what they’ve got their eye on this season. This week’s trendsetter: Minnesota-based beauty enthusiast and founder of BeautyBets.com, Elizabeth Dehn.
1. Paper goods ranks a close second to beauty products in my world, and no one does them better than Sugar Paper. Plus, I like any excuse I can get to combine stripes, bows, and gold foil.
2. Mine is an old-school whiskey-drinking kind of family—mint juleps in the summer and Manhattans in the winter. Bulleit is the best.
3. More stripes and gold foil! I can’t get enough. And what girl wouldn’t want this French Annick Goutal votive on her desk or vanity?
4. Pop these wooden toothbrushes in your weekender as a cute hostess gift. Or hand them out to your own overnight guests along with a tube of Marvis toothpaste.
5. My brother is getting this felt Old Calgary wallet for Christmas. Like his Minnesota-raised sister, he has a thing for heritage design with a North Woods vibe.
6. Best. Hand cream. Ever. Rodin Olio Lusso Crema is as rich as its price tag, yet miraculously non-greasy. For the girl—or the boss—who has everything.
7. A rose body oil by any other name would not smell as real or as heavenly. Plus its formula is all natural, just like everything else in One Love Organics’ life-changing skincare line.
8. And speaking of life-changing: J.Crew vintage pajama sets are the best gift I’ve ever received. This year, I’m asking Santa for the short-sleeved version.
9. No style blogger can seem to get enough of Clare Vivier’s clutches or her modern use of bright colors with soft, neutral leathers.
10. There’s something incredible satisfying about scribbling on a thick, white notepad. Not a day goes by that someone doesn’t ooh and ahh over my stack of from Russell + Hazel.
Need the perfect gift for anyone on your list? We recommend the Birchbox Home box!
Who doesn’t love toast? We sure do, and as much enthusiasm as we have for the delicious complex carbohydrate, we love the blog A Piece of Toast even more. The masterminds behind the beauty amalgamation of covet-worthy products, style inspiration, and yes, yummy food, are sisters Sally Ann and Molly Bernadette. This week, the Molly is graciously bringing her flair to our blog, dishing on everything from the best hair masks to perfect holiday gifts.
Face serums and oils seem to be one of the biggest trends in skin care these days and after reading so many positive reviews about the benefits and ‘glow’ they deliver, I jumped on the bandwagon — and haven’t looked back since! If you haven’t tried incorporating oil into your daily skin routine, I hope I can convince you…
The moment you start reading Alex Yeske’s dreams + jeans blog, you know one thing for sure: the girl has excellent taste. Musing on everything from fashion to beauty to design, the recent Syracuse grad has a knack for spotting pretty things — a skill that no doubt serves her well in her day job as a graphic designer for Madewell. This week, we’re lucky enough to have her guest blogging for us about everything from her beauty must-haves to how to get the perfect blow dry.
As I mentioned in Monday’s post, I absolutely adore testing out new products. I always have a running list of things I want to try and these are at the top of it:
1. Carol’s Daughter Monoi Hair Mask: I actually read about this product on the Birchbox blog a month or so ago and have been dying to try it ever since! I’m completely obsessed with testing out new hair products.
2. Nars Orgasm Illuminator: I love NARS’ Orgasm blush and think the shimmery version would be a great addition to my cosmetic bag.
3. Rodin Face Oil: This face oil comes up over and over again in magazines and on blogs. If that many people like it then it must be a great product!
4. Clarisonic Mia: I’m all about finding ways to make my skin noticeably better, and the technology behind this tool is genius.
5. Twistband Hair Ties: I’m never without a hair tie and these look so cute on your wrist, too!
Another must-try: Dr. Dennis Gross’ Extra Strength Alpha Beta Peel.
Do the dew. The dewy face, that is. Nam, one of our favorite makeup artists, says pressed powder is a surefire way to look dated. She usually skips powder altogether, or uses an ultrafine translucent powder to set makeup. But if you’re not a teenage supermodel, you may need a little help to get your complexion glowing. And that’s where Rodin Oil comes in. Veteran fashion stylist Linda Rodin tinkered for a year to come up with the perfect blend of essential oils that would nourish her skin and give it a beautiful sheen. Blended from 11 essential oils, including jasmine, sweet almond, and neroli, Rodin smells heavenly, sinks in easily, and makes skin look healthy, not greasy. Since launching, her creation has become an insider favorite; makeup artists use it to give models a luminous glow and celebs buy it buy the liter to use as a highlighter and calming oil. Nam suggests using it anywhere you’d use highlighter - on your cheekbones, browbones - or mixing it with tinted moisturizer. Despite the price (approximately $140 for the face oil) Rodin has trouble keeping it in stock and has even rolled out special body and hair formulations.