The Top 10 Coolest Hairstyles At NYFW
New York Fashion Week may have ended last week, but we’re still reveling in the backstage festivities (and recovering). At this point, however, we’ve had some time to process it all, and we’re ready to deliberate on next season’s biggest trends and most fashion-forward looks. Today we’ve rounded up our favorite hairstyles, from the totally outrageous to the completely wearable. Check back tomorrow and Friday for our top makeup and manicure picks!
- Rebecca Minkoff: The braided crown trend lives on! Frida Khalo was the muse for these unfussy updos crafted by TRESemmé stylist Jeanie Syfu. To create the style, she plaited three different ponytails into four-stranded braids before securing with pins. (Photo: Courtesy of stila)
- Zac Posen: Is there anything more romantic and feminine than white silk flowers strewn through hair? Odile Gilbert for Kérastase masterfully executed this hairstyle—and brides-to-be everywhere are swooning. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Cynthia Rowley: Surfer girl with edge was the style at Cynthia Rowley and Staci Child for Cutler/Redken pulled it off to a tee with her half beachy wave, half punky pulled back ‘do. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Marchesa: Goth glamour was the vibe at Marchesa, where stylist Odile Gilbert for Kérastase adorned strands with dark, moody plumage. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Rachel Zoe: The perfect hybrid between a braid and a bird’s nest, this style is something you’d never want to do yourself (brushing that out must have hurt). That said, we’re so impressed by Antonio Corral’s fabulously frizzy plaits. (Photo: Courtesy of Moroccan Oil)
- Alice + Olivia: When in doubt, a sleek, low bun is always a sophisticated choice. Stylist Nick Irwin for TIGI's pro tip was to add a shine spray, flat iron the hair, and then use mousse throughout the pony before coiling it to keep flyaways at bay. (Photo: Courtesy of TIGI)
- Jason Wu: Odile Gilbert for Kérastase can take credit for the stick-straight blunt ponys at Jason Wu. To add a hint of glam, he finished the minimalist look off with gold cuffed ponytail holders—a must-have accessory for next season. (Photo: Courtesy of Kérastase)
- Kate Spade: Creating the perfect topknot might as well be an art form and hairstylist Tommy Bucket got it exactly right at Kate Spade. We especially loved that these chunky buns were slightly undone, which gave the hair a very effortless and real feel. (Photo: Tom Newton)
- Mara Hoffman: Holy braid! The butt-grazing plaits by Nick Irwin for TIGI at Mara Hoffman were too long for real life, but we definitely plan to try a modified version of this style ourselves. (Photo: Courtesy of TIGI)
- Badgley Mischka: This delicate roll by Peter Gray for Moroccan Oil is so utterly sweet, we can’t stop staring. (Photo: Courtesy of Moroccan Oil)
Want to stay in-the-know about the latest beauty trends? Sign up for Birchbox now!
Gwyneth Paltrow and her trainer Tracy Anderson
Actress-turned-singer-turned-lifestyle blogger (we love goop!) Gwyneth Paltrow is adding yet another enterprise to her successful and varied empire: hair. Next month, Paltrow is set to open a new blow dry bar in Los Angeles, a joint venture between her, her longtime personal trainer Tracy Anderson, and celebrity stylist David Babaii. The salon will be named the David Babaii Blow Dry Bar and will be located near Anderson’s new fitness studio in Brentwood, which is set to open April 4th.
Paltrow’s announcement comes shortly after the success of fellow celeb Rachel Zoe’s popular DreamDry in New York, which booked 1,000 (!) appointments in the first week.
Do any of you get blowouts? Would you visit her salon?
One of our favorite recipes from the editors of goop is this to-die-for smoothie. Watch how to make it here!
(Photo: Redbook Magazine)
Sophia Loren-inspired volume and Farrah Fawcett-like waves at NY’s DreamDry.
I’ve been having a bad hair day. For about a week. My morning gym sessions, which always seem to end with a very frantic me covering my damp, no-time-for-a-blow-dry hair with a wool hat, are partially to blame. So is the fact that I’m growing my hair out—it’s the longest it’s been in years!—and it’s going through one of its awkward phases (there have been many).
It also doesn’t help that I work in an office full of glamorous women with runway-worthy hair. Like the SRSLY girls, I am seriously obsessed with Birchbox co-founder Katia’s hair.
This morning, I decided it was time to seek expert help. I booked myself an appointment at DreamDry, the new blowout bar by celeb stylist Rachel Zoe. After a frenzied morning, the cool white space was a calming retreat with well-spaced stations, Oribe hair products, and an iPad menu of screen siren coifs. I could go for chic and sophisticated with a topknot or chignon à la Audrey Hepburn, old Hollywood glamour with Veronica Lake’s retro waves, or bedhead temptress with Brigitte Bardot-inspired tresses.
We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
Although I spend most of my time traveling the world surveying style in New York, London, and Paris, I always love returning home to support local talent. This season’s L.A. Fashion Week has been particularly inspiring both on and off the runway, thanks to the bevy of designers, models, and partygoers showcasing inspiring new looks. Here’s a roundup of some killer coifs that caught my eye.
Rachel Zoe is officially going into the beauty business with a blow dry bar opening soon in NYC. (Photo: bellasugar.com)
We’re prepping our hair in advance of blow dry glory with our favorite products in the Birchbox Shop.
One of my favorite things to see on the red carpet is a really chic ponytail. Because unlike complicated chignons or intimidating side-swept updos, ponytails are beautiful in their simplicity. From tightly pulled back to messy-sexy, ponytails are easy to replicate. This past year, celebs sported plenty sassy ponies and I’ve rounded up the best. Which one is your favorte? Vote in the poll below!
When I saw this photo of Olivia Wilde back in August at the Berlin premiere of her movie, Cowboys and Aliens, I was mesmerized. As far as I know, this is the first time a celeb has sectioned off a pony like this with elastics (for a red carpet event anyway). Given how great the look is, I don’t think it will be the last. I especially liked the sci-fi feel of the style, which was very fitting given the film’s premise.