This week’s guest blogger, Vida Lee, hits close to home for us—literally! She’s a beauty guru based in our hometown: New York City. Aside from being a product addict, she’s also a medical school student (whoa!) who makes time on the side for her pretty blog, P.S. It’s Vida. Over the next few days, the smarty savant will be sharing her greatest tips and tricks for staying prepped and primed for summer.
I hate that feeling when you look down at your feet and realize your pedicure color doesn’t go all that well with the sandals you have on. Since I like combos that coordinate, here are a few suggestions:
Nail art is a Birchbox obsession. One of the first places we look for inspiration is Glitter, She Wrote, Anna Norman’s cheery, imaginative blog, where she shares her gorgeous designs and muses about life in the Big Apple. This week, Anna takes us inside her nail guru world, and will show us how to get gorgeous, DIY art on our fingertips.
You tweeted your most pressing nail-related questions to #BBAskAnna, and I’m here to help!
Q: How do you get an even line of nail polish at the cuticle? @SarahAshley26
A: One of the most common nail painting “mistakes” I see is polish that pools over the cuticle line up onto the skin. Don’t despair—there’s an easy fix! After painting my nails, I dip an angled eyeliner brush in nail polish remover and carefully run it around my nail along the cuticle line. This cleans up any jagged brushstrokes and creates a clean, smooth line around the entire nail.
Phew, we made it through another week and April (and spring!) is just a few days away. We hope you’re out enjoying the weekend but in the meantime enjoy a few of our favorite stories from the week.
- Madonna’s having a bad week (or a great one, depending on how you look at it). First her new music video was restricted to 18+ on YouTube, and now the commercial for her new fragrance, Truth or Dare, has been banned from ABC pending some changes. The network found the ad too sexy. Click through to see for yourself. [Fashionista]
- Bumble and Bumble is coming out with a new collection of products specifically for color treated hair. Our own experience with fading color is enough to convince us we need to try this. [Style.com]
- We can’t get enough of reality stars getting made-under. They always end up looking so much better and make us wonder why they bother loading on so much makeup. Our most recent obsession is Audrina Patridge: the hottie from The Hills looks even better au natural. [xojane]
- Now that Hunger Games madness has abated, we’re moving on to the next big movie. Right now that’s the Tim Burton and Johnny Depp revival of Dark Shadows. It won’t be out until May 11th but you can start planning your movie night manicure now with a collection of four Dark Shadows polishes by Orly. [Allure]
- A new study suggests that people who eat more chocolate are thinner. And before you start asking questions, it’s legit. And just in time for Easter. [YouBeauty]
Now that spring is officially on the way, we’re getting our hands and feet into shape! Shop our favorite items in the Birchbox Shop.
Operations associate, Loren, has a thing for nails- and we can’t blame her. We love reading about new finishes and fun techniques, so we thought we’d give her a weekly slot on our blog to wax poetic about all things manicure (and pedicure!) related. Check back every week for Nailing It, Birchbox’s dedicated polish series.
Especially in the spring and summer, it’s important to apply SPF on any exposed areas like arms and legs. But we often forget about the smaller spots like our toes and ears—and even our nails! Since nails are made of protein, keratin to be exact, they need protection just like skin does. In fact, a Birchbox staffer went on vacation with her nails bare and came back with sun burnt, purple nails. She described the pain as “feeling like her fingers had been slammed in a car door.”
Our Ops Team is basically the coolest group of girls around. Each and every day, they inspire the rest of the staff with their positive attitudes—and their superb sense of style. I consistently turn to various members of their team for tips, and at a meeting yesterday, Whitney's nails caught my eye.
Click through for the close up!
It was obvious at first glance that her superb nail art had to be shared with the rest of the beauty world. So post-meeting, I snapped these pics and asked her to share the step-by-step process.
Step 1: Apply a base coat of Butter London’s new Trout Pout and wait for it to dry completely.
Step 2: Get out some toothpicks and put dabs of your various colors on a Post-it.
Step 3: Take one toothpick and make the center of the flower using Orly’s Iron Butterfly. Take a different toothpick, dip it into China Glaze’s new Sunshine Pop, and create the petals by pulling them out from the center. Take a third toothpick and use China Glaze’s Gaga for Green to draw the stem.
Step 4: Use the toothpicks to add polka dots to the rest of your nails.
Prefer single-color manis? Try Deborah Lippmann’s Dark Side of the Moon.
Operations associate, Loren, has a thing for nails — and we can’t blame her. We love reading about new finishes and fun techniques, so we thought we’d give her a weekly slot on our blog to wax poetic about all things manicure (and pedicure!) related. Check back every week for Nailing It, Birchbox’s dedicated polish series.
Last week while reading All Lacquered Up, I came across a post on a cool new technique that the nail geniuses at CND developed called River Rocks Decals. Given that I love trying new trends, I decided to give this method a go. Surprisingly, even though it looks rather complicated, it’s actually pretty easy. Here’s how you do it: