In honor of Memorial Day Weekend, we thought it would be fun to ask some of our favorite online beauty editors and bloggers their one must-have product for the holiday. After all, it’sthe first real weekend of summer, which means we’re changing up our beauty regimens just in time for some extra-warm temperatures—let the frolicking begin! Here’s what they had to say:
Annie Tomlin, Beauty Director at Refinery 29
"I’m a big fan of does-it-all products, so I’m packing rms beauty’s Living Luminizer. It gives skin a soft, sheer shimmer and works as a highlighter on eyes, cheeks, the Cupid’s bow of the lips, and anywhere else. Easy!”
Lara Eurdolian, Founder and Blogger of Pretty Connected
"SPF, SPF, SPF! That’s my ultimate must have for Memorial Day Weekend (and everyday). Head-to-toe you can be sure I’m sporting an abundance of SPF products on and off the beach. From my makeup case to my beach bag, I’m usually carrying a combination of body sprays, foundations, moisturizers, and lip balms containing SPF. My favorite for everyday is Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50. It’s super lightweight, goes on smooth and offers great protection.”
Miss Ladyfinger at Milly
For New York Fashion Week Fall 2013, we couldn’t have landed a better nail correspondent (put that title on a business card!). Taryn Multack, the genius behind Miss Ladyfinger, initially started her blog as a way to translate fashion trends to manicures. Since those early days, she’s partnered with top designers and brands. She’ll be reporting all of next season’s must-try hues and designs.
Walking into the backstage area before the Milly show, anyone else might have noticed the models. Not me. I spied the holographic pieces of the collection from across the room and immediately started salivating. I went closer for a better look, and there was so much to see. Digitized prints, new fabrications, and the aforementioned holographic items were to die for, so it was no surprise the nail look was a little more subdued.
Michelle Saunders, lead manicurist for Essie, smiled at me as I was envisioning all the nail art I could make from the show. “I know there’s a lot we could have done in the way of nail art for this collection, but we wanted something that would help make the collection shine,” she admitted. The result was Power Clutch by Essie—a dark neutral gray with green undertones—inspired by menswear.
According to Michelle, picking the right gray is less about skin tone and more about the season. “For spring, you can play with lighter grays, like dove and French grays, but for fall, pick darker ones.” To get the look, apply two coats of Power Clutch and top it with Good to Go by Essie.
For more Fashion Week 2013 behind-the-scene pics, check out our photo stream.
Miss Ladyfinger at Reem Acra
For New York Fashion Week Fall 2013, we couldn’t have landed a better nail correspondent (put that title on a business card!). Taryn Multack, the genius behind Miss Ladyfinger, initially started her blog as a way to translate fashion trends to manicures. Since those early days, she’s partnered with top designers and brands. She’ll be reporting all next season’s must-try hues and designs.
If you’re craving a new nail look but can’t bring yourself to give up your go-to products (trust me, I can’t!), New York Fashion Week unveiled a way to get a brand-new look using your favorite polishes.
Backstage at Reem Acra, two iconic Essie polishes combined and layered to create a manicure that matched the dark red lips the models were sporting. One of Essie’s lead manicurists, Gina Edwards, created the look using Bordeaux
and Sole Mate
. “Start with two coats of Bordeaux, followed by two coats of Sole Mate and you’re good to go,” she explained. “The red comes through the deep purple, creating a powerful statement.”
Takeaway: Customize your own shades using polishes you already own. The effect is subtle, dimensional, and a great way to amp up your favorite colors.
For this week’s fashion week, we couldn’t have landed a better nail correspondent (put that title on a business card!). Taryn Multack, the genius behind Miss Ladyfinger, initially started her blog as a way to translate fashion trends to manicures. Since those early days, she’s partnered with top designers and brands. She’ll be reporting all next season’s must-try hues and designs.
It’s only the first day of NYFW, but there is already a clear nail trend for Fall ’13: matte polish. Now, matte can be tricky because it can make us look washed out or sometimes even looks unfinished. But this was definitely not the case backstage at Timo Weiland.
Zoya lead manicurist, Sunshine Outing, created a sparkly layered look using the Zoya Pixie Dust formulas (stunning sparkly polishes in subdued colors that create a matte effect). “Timo wanted a navy nail, so rather than blending it, we layered it,” she says. “To get the nail, paint one layer of Godiva, followed by a layer of Dahlia, and topped it off with Nyx. Keep in mind, the Pixie Dust line doesn’t play well with other polishes.”
The effect is a sparkly matte navy Ladyfinger that twinkles. The best part? All three polishes are currently available in store. Go get ‘em, ladies.
Read all of Taryn’s posts (and watch her too-cute polka dot tutorial!).
Here’s How to Follow All The Fashion Week Fun At Birchbox
Happy Fashion Week! The Fall 2013 shows have begun and—come hell or crazy blizzard—our editors and photographers will be bopping around town covering the backstage beauty scene. And that’s not all! In addition to our own Birchbox staffers, we have some amazing guest contributors. Our regular columnist Natalie Alcala, Taryn Multack of Miss Ladyfinger, and model extraordinaire Alana Zimmer will all be posting to the Birchbox Blog.
The best part? We want YOU to come along for the ride. Our brand new Birchbox NYFW site will feature original photos of models, manis, and more. Check back frequently (in fact, you may want to bookmark it) to stay up to date on all the latest trends.
Miss Ladyfinger Shares Her Holiday Gift Guide
Ah, the holidays—the greatest gift-giving time of the year. We know how tough it can be to come up with the perfect present for every friend, acquaintance, co-worker, and loved one in your life, which is why we’ve turned to our favorite tastemakers to tell us what they’ve got their eye on this season. Today we’re spotlighting nail art genius Taryn Multack of Miss Ladyfinger.
1. While I love to stock up on cold weather accessories, I hate covering up the nail art that I’ve just spent so much time on. For me, hand-warmers are the answer. The added touch of embellishment on this pair from Topshop is very Gossip Girl.
2. Speaking of manis, I have at least 50 different glitter polishes in my collection, and Deborah Lippmann’s sparklers stand out the most. This Let’s Go Crazy shade is one of my favorites. It has dimension and it’s the perfect holiday hue.
3. How sweet are these little star studs? A great go-to gift for a best friend or a sister.
4. While sipping drinks bundled up in a cozy sweater, I’ll definitely be dreaming of a warm weather vacation. These Jonathan Adler coasters transport you somewhere far off (even if just temporarily) and they make the perfect hostess gift.
5. No one wants chapped lips, especially when there’s mistletoe around. I love hydrating balms that tingle like this one from Coola, which is made with organic ingredients and tastes yummy. Did I mention that it has SPF?
6. As a New York City dweller, I love to peep other people’s iPhone cases on the subway. I saw this one once and fell in love. After hunting it down, it turned out that it’s by Free People and they have a great assortment of eye-catching cases.
7. This Corkcicle is one of Oprah’s favorite things, and now it’s one of mine. It chills your white wine while corking it to keep it fresh. Not to mention that it comes in a variety of colors. Genius!
8. There’s nothing quite like coming home to a delicious-smelling apartment during the holidays. This statement candle from Illume comes in two woodsy scents, Woodfire and Balsam and Cedar, and it’s very stylish. Anyone would love to receive this.
9. My brother will definitely be getting one of these bill holders for the holidays. He’ll appreciate the humor, not to mention that I’m replacing his wallet for the umpteenth time.
10. My favorite part of the holidays is bundling up, which is why I love this lace-print sweatshirt. The short sleeves make it a great transition piece for spring too.
For more chic tastemaker picks, click here.
Yesterday, the Birchbox team was busy prepping our videos for March. As always, we’re so excited to bring you tips and tricks on all things beauty, but we just couldn’t wait till the videos are all finished to share some fun information. One of our favorite nail art bloggers, Miss Ladyfinger, stopped by the shoot to help educate us on all things polish related. We snuck a peek into her makeup bag and found this product inside, which is one of her all-time favorites. Find out why below!
No one knows cool manicures better than our good friend Taryn Multack of the sensational nail art blog, Miss LadyFinger. We thought we’d utilize her expertise this season and send her backstage at L.A.M.B. to see what fun look Color Club was whipping up. Like a pro, she got the deets on the presentation’s edgy design, which is surprisingly easy to replicate.
Retro-punk was the vibe backstage at Saturday’s L.A.M.B. presentation. Accordingly, nails were only half-painted to achieve a unique worn effect. “We wanted to emphasize the edginess of the L.A.M.B. collection,” said Alicia Torello, the lead manicurist for Color Club, “so we are going for a purposefully chipped look.”
You may have noticed that here at Birchbox, we have a deep, abiding love for all things nails. Which is why nail artist extraordinaire Taryn Multack, a.k.a Miss Ladyfinger, is a great fit as this week’s guest blogger. Multack, who’s spent time working at fashion staples like Oscar de la Renta and W Magazine, uses trends and looks straight from the runway to create gorgeous, imaginative designs for her digits. The most impressive part? She does all of her art while keeping a day job in the fashion world. This week, she teaches us how to make our nails just as fabulous as hers.
The year is winding down and travel season is under way. Whether you’re headed somewhere warm, or claiming real estate next to the fireplace at home, I’ve got the perfect nail art for you. Jill Stuart’s opening look from her spring 2012 line is the a great hybrid design: it hints at spring with a fun Palm Springs motif, yet it’s totally holiday appropriate with its festive red hue. For this advanced tutorial, I used a nail art brush with Choco-Latte by Sally Hansen and Lollipop by Essie.
Click through for a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this Jill Stuart look yourself.
1. Prep your nail with base coat.
2. Apply your nude color to your whole nail.
3. Draw a V at the bottom of your nail using a nail art brush dipped in red polish.
4. Using the photo as a guide, outline a palm tree motif on one half of the nail.
5. Mirror the same design on the other half of the nail.
6. Fill in the design with red.
7. Top off with Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat and you’re all set! Gorgeous Jill Stuart nails ready for a night out on the town.
In the mood for another shade of eye-popping red? Try this polish by Deborah Lippmann.