The Great Toothpaste Test
As longtime fans of Marvis toothpaste, we’ve always been partial to the luxe Italian brand’s classic mint paste (brushing with the creamy formula makes teeth feel super clean). But Marvis is known for their catalogue of unique flavors—oh hi, ginger and cinnamon—which is why we decided that it was high time to give other contenders a chance. We asked our editors to test out several flavors so we could figure out which ones we should put at the top of our lists. Here’s what they had to say:
1. Whitening Mint:
"The taste is nice and strong, kind of like a tic-tac! It’s a little chalkier, but if that’s the price I have to pay for whiter teeth, I’m okay with that." - Bene
2. Classic Strong Mint:
"I use it at home and I’ve noticed that the sweet mint flavor is truly long-lasting, not like "Listerine long-lasting," but longer than other toothpastes. Overall, it’s a good comforting and familiar flavor." —Martin
3. Aquatic Mint:
"I’ve never tasted a toothpaste like this; it almost has a lavender undertone. It’s like a super refreshing minty-floral explosion." —Lorelei
4. Cinnamon Mint:
"This one tastes like Big Red gum. The cinnamon really comes through but it’s not too spicy, so it’s still pleasant and refreshing." —Candice
5. Ginger Mint:
"First off, I love the orange packaging; it’s really bright and cheery. It smells really nice, like fresh ginger, and I like the spicy kick." —Ally
Which flavor are you dying to try?
—Geraldine & Katrina
Flaunt your pearly whites with a bright summer pout recommended by Seventeen magazine.
We’ve been planning our dream weddings since we were five years old. So it’s no surprise that we can’t get enough of Lover.ly, a wedding inspiration site that lets you search through pics of swoon-worthy gowns, bouquets, and everything else you need for the big day. Once a week, the ladies behind Lover.ly will be sharing their best tips for getting through the craziness of the season—whether you’re standing at the altar or enjoying a view of it from the audience.
(Photo by: Elizabeth Messina on The Brides Cafe via Lover.ly)
We figure nothing can make you smile brighter than your fiancé(e), but these teeth whitening tips could come a close second. A clean, bright smile can make you look and feel gorgeous for your engagement photos, wedding day, and honeymoon; here are our tips for making it happen.
It’s hard to believe that today marks the two year anniversary of my college graduation. In celebration, my four best friends and I are planning a reunion trip this Memorial Day weekend to Puerto Rico! I love New York City, but I’m super pumped to lay on a beach with my girlfriends far, far away from the concrete jungle. Here are some of the essentials that I’m bringing along for my trip:
1. COOLA Cucumber Moisturizing SPF 30 for Face
COOLA is my favorite brand for anything SPF related. I’m indian, so I tan quick (understatement)! So it’s super important for me to carry a powerful SPF product when I’m in the sun and this one is great because it doesn’t feel heavy or leave any white residue on your face.
2. Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk
I tend to rock third day hair while on vacation, so carrying a dry shampoo with me is crucial. Klorane’s is great because it also adds texture to my hair—perfect for beachy waves.
Birchbox May 2013 Sneak Peek: Beauty Diaries
This month our theme is Beauty Diaries—get ready to spill the beans! We want to hear all about your beauty secrets, what products you try first in your Birchbox and more. To kick things off this month Katia, Hayley, and Mollie are picking out a few of the products they hope to receive in their boxes. Let us know in the YouTube comments what products you’re missing from your makeup bag and you could win all their picks!
Join Birchbox by May 14th to receive a May box this month!
Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel at Time’s 100 most influential people gala earlier this week.
Like most worker bees, my 9 AM office routine follows a fairly familiar pattern. Trudge zombie-like towards coffee, browse my inbox for 10 minutes, then head to a gossip site to catch up on some celeb happenings. (Especially here, beauty news is important!)
This morning, I found myself swooning over a photo of America’s favorite newlyweds: the Timberlakes. While we don’t all have red-carpet galas to attend, these looks are still perfect for a night out on the town or a formal summer wedding. The former Ms. Biel looked radiant with bronze smoky eyes and a Bridgette Bardot-esque ‘do, and her beau looked particularly dashing in his updated 20/20 Experience look—we love the side-swept hair and fitted tuxedo. Whether you’re heading to a sophisticated fête or just a dinner with friends, follow these grooming tips to snag this A-list couple’s style.
Dan, our Strategy and Operations Manager, is heading to Asia for an epic eight-day biking trip through Northern Thailand’s Golden Triangle, a section of the country near Laos and Cambodia. (On the way, he’ll make pit-stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, too.) To prep him for his adventure, which will include zooming from back-country roads to manic, traffic-filled cities, our editors compiled a must-have list of essentials.
1. Marvis Travel-sized Toothpaste: “Because it keeps your mouth minty delicious for so long.” —Candice
2. Field Notes notebooks: “So you can document the experience.” —Lorelei
3. Anthony Logistics Lip Balm: ”Don’t forget your lips, too! If it’s hot, this is perfect since it has SPF, beeswax and shea butter, so it protects while it moisturizes.” —Meredith and Lorelei
4. Herban Essentials Towelettes : “These all-natural wipes are key for quickly de-greasing and de-sweating.” —Mollie
5. Kiehl’s Sunscreen: “It’s not at all goopy, which means you’re likely to reapply. A bad burn will ruin the trip!” —Meredith
6. Jurlique Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer: “Keep the germs away with this moisturizing hand sanitizer.” —Mollie
Looking for more packing list suggestions? Check out more of them here.
We’re always looking for good sartorial inspiration, which is why we regularly turn to PR exec Jaimen Sfetko’s Tumblr, Jaimen Lee. Documenting her own stellar (and quirky cool) style, Sfetko gives us a daily dose of outfit envy — and has us wishing she did costume changes throughout the day. Naturally, we’re curious about the savvy New Yorker’s product picks, too. This week, Sfetko is guest blogging about her beauty musts, starting with what’s in her super-chic bathroom cabinets.
This question always comes up during awkward first dates but…If you’re stuck on a deserted island, what are the three products you should have? Well, if I were stuck on a deserted island, there would be no one to impress, so technically, I guess I wouldn’t need much beyond a pair of glasses and a swimsuit. But let’s imagine you need to look HOT — like HAWT — on said island for a magical merman is about to wash ashore.
1. Toothpaste: Despite not kissing anyone until the merman comes to your rescue, brushing your teeth is important. Remember when Tom Hanks had to pull out his tooth on Castaway? This is a serious example when pain doesn’t equate to beauty. Brush Yo Teefff. Oh and while you’re at it, you might as well gently whiten while you wait for your Prince Charming. I adore Marvis Gentle Whitening Toothpaste because it freshens, whitens, and ensures healthy teeth all at once!
2. Mascara: I think everyone knows the importance of mascara, right? I have the lightest lashes ever so even just a coat of mascara does amazing things to frame the face and open up the eyes. I like BADgal because not only does it do the job but it’s name is also quite representative of what you’d be if you were surviving on a deserted island…right?
3. SPF + Makeup = YEA! We’ve heard soooo much about the importance of SPF all ourlives. For oily girls like myself, something that covers and protects like this AMAZING brush-on powder from Colorescience is quite amazing.
4. Cargo Bronzer: This Cargo bronzer functions as a blush, all over bronzer, eye shadow and heck, mixed with berries from the island — a lipstick. I love Cargo’s whole line of products but their bronzer by far is my favorite from the line.
Eep! Our fonts are shivering in their sans serif boots because our creative director, Jess, is going to be gone for two whole weeks. She’s headed to Greece for a much-deserved vacation (hopefully she’ll score some Korres products while she’s there). Here’s what she’s bringing.
I’m leaving the Birchbox pink behind for the blue water of Greece to celebrate my anniversary and take a vacation! I’ll be island hopping, eating, drinking, and getting in as much beach time in as possible. My packing list includes a little of everything, but with zero plans of dolling up: I’m on vacation, which means it’s time to leave the hair dryer at home :)
1. A last-minute swimwear find, an easy mix-and-match raspberry bikini from Topshop.
2. I’ll be adding to my Greek glow with Laura Geller Bronze & Brighten (I got it in my June Birchbox and have been obsessed ever since).
3. Marvis Classic Mint toothpaste is the perfect mint and beats any travel-size toothpaste from the drugstore.
4. I am, and will always be, obsessed with Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads and will pack a few just in case it rains.
5. Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner for day-to-night.
6. YSL Touche Eclat for any quick brightening needs.
7. A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.
8. No map, we’re going with no agenda and no guide!
While Jess is lolling about on a white sand beach, we’ll be hanging at Birchbox HQ. Find out what four different staffers consider daily essentials.
Clockwise from left: Herban Essentials Towelettes in Lemon, $15, birchbox.com; myfaceworks Sheet Mask ‘the starter kit’, $45, birchbox.com; Anthony Logistics for Men® Glycolic Facial Cleanser, $21, birchbox.com; Perricone MD Cold Plasma Face Cream, $150, birchbox.com; Dr. Gross Extra Strength Alpha Beta® Peel 30 Pack, $85, birchbox.com; Befine Night Cream, $30, birchbox.com; Pomega5 Daily Revitalizing Concentrate, $48, birchbox.com; Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+, $34, birchbox.com; Erno Laszlo TranspHuse Night Serum, $190, birchbox.com; Zoya Nail Polishes, $8, birchbox.com; Pomega5 Healing Cream, $70, birchbox.com; NARS Orgasm Illuminator, $29, birchbox.com; Zoya Remove Plus Nail Polish Remover, $9.99, birchbox.com; Marvis Classic Mint Toothpaste, $10.50, birchbox.com; LATHER AHA Hand Crème With Evening Primrose, $18, birchbox.com; Lipstick Queen Jean Queen Gloss, $18, birchbox.com; Jouer Crème Eyeshadow, $20, birchbox.com
We love Birchbox moms more than anything. They send us baked goods, give us profound words of encouragement, and they keep their vanities well-stocked with goodies from our Shop. One such mom that almost single-handedly keeps us in business is Sally, mom of our lead brand relationship manager, Alta (or as I call her, Altista). Sally’s bathroom counter is proof of her continued support, which of course means the world to us. We love this photo and just for kicks, we’ve listed out everything pictured above. Thanks so much for your purchases, Sally. Keep ‘em coming!
Fun fact I learned yesterday: It’s National Smile Week! In honor of the occasion, I decided to chat with my fellow Birchbox staffers about their favorite products to keep their teeth white and sparkling. Here are their suggestions.
Crest Express Whitening Strips: “I’ve tried a ton of over-the-counter whitening products, but these are by far the most effective and easiest to use. The advanced seal acts like a suction cup on your teeth, so there’s none of that slip-sliding like with other whitening trays and strips. In fact, you can talk and even drink water while you wear them and the express two hour time frame is incredibly convenient.” —Meredith, editor & content strategy manager
Wine Wipes By Borracha: “My mother-in-law introduced me to these, they’re great and come in this cute little compact. They make it easy to drink red wine at networking events.” —Katia, co-founder
Marvis Whitening Toothpaste: “My new obsession? Marvis Whitening Toothpaste. It keeps my pearly whites bright and also has a strong minty flavor that lasts longer than your typical drugstore brand. Those Italians sure know how to keep me smiling.”—Alta, lead brand relationship manager
For more great products to perfect your smile, check out our Birchbox Shop.