It’s all about the lips for Leighton Meester. (Photo: Glamour)
The holidays aren’t just the time to break out the ugly sweaters or the figure-hugging cocktail dresses that inevitably feel a little too snug after downing a bunch of pigs in a blanket. It’s also the time to make a statement when it comes to your hair and makeup. That means tweaking your usual routine, if only by the slightest degree. After cruising the web for inspiration, we picked three fresh celeb-derived looks we can’t wait to try this party season:
1. Glossy red lips. Leighton Meester showed us how it’s done at the Target + Neiman Marcus party in New York this week. Her vibrant lipstick looked classic yet twentysomething-appropriate thanks to its shiny, glasslike veneer.
Notable Quotables is a weekly series featuring a great quote. Whether it’s the founder of a beloved beauty brand, an eccentric makeup artist making headlines, or even a super-stylish celebrity, our favorite tastemakers always have something worth sharing.
You know we’re big fans of Leighton Meester
(Gossip Girl, hello) and she’s almost always on top of our best of red carpet lists
. So imagine our surprise to learn that the glamourous actress is actually much more at home with herself when she’s not wearing any makeup. In this month’s Lucky Magazine
, Meester is refreshingly down-to-earth.
"I’ve stopped wearing makeup when I’m not working. For a while I thought I had dark circles and bad skin, and then I realized I was seeing myself that way because I didn’t recognize myself anymore without makeup. Now when I wear it, I think I look really weird!"
—Leighton Meester to Lucky Magazine
The road to feeling comfortable without makeup starts with great skin! Find our favorite skin-saving products in the Birchbox Shop.
I’m an award show devotee and in my opinion, the MTV Movie Awards is one of the best for fashion and beauty looks. Unlike at the Oscars or the Emmys, which are more buttoned up, the MTV Movie Awards give celebs an excuse to have fun on the red carpet. This year’s event didn’t disappoint: from short shorts and high buns to orange lips and peek-a-boo jumpsuits, here are my four favorite looks from last night.
Jessica Biel: One thing Jessica Biel knows how to do extremely well: balance. The beauty showed a lot of leg last night, but her dress kept her nicely covered up on top. What’s more, her stick-straight strands nicely offset her billowy sleeves. Plus, you’ve gotta love anyone who can sport a perfectly blunt fringe.
Whether you like it or not, fall is here. Temperatures are a bit crisper, days are a tad shorter, and stores are fully stocked with wooly knits and cozy corduroys. About this time every year, I debate whether or not to do the season’s quintessential cut: blunt bangs. They’re perfect for the fall because your lovely fringe won’t stick to your forehead (July is not the time to test drive this style, believe me). I’ve been more inspired than ever to rock this look because Hollywood starlets are stepping out with bangs left, right, and center. Lea Michelle, Anna Faris, and Leighton Meester are three such actresses whose hair has recently caught my eye. In my opinion, these ladies have their bangs styled perfectly; all cut just below the brows and curved ever-so-slightly under.
Will you be wearing bangs this fall?
To keep hair in check, invest in a silky serum like Oscar Blandi’s Olio di Jasmine.
Spotted: Leighton Meester at Troubadour in West Hollywood Monday night debuting a brand new look—a hairdo complete with bangs and absent of her normal highlights. Just a little over a week ago, we saw her strutting down the red carpet at the MTV Movie Awards in a glitzy dress and curly highlighted locks. It’ll be hard to keep up her tough-girl façade with this laid-back look though—my guess is that she’ll turn back into the power-hungry fashionista Blair Waldorf that we all know and love when the next season of Gossip Girl rolls around. Vote in the poll below to tell us what you think of the change!
Enhance your own hairstyle with products from our Birchbox shop.
Finally! Vera Wang’s Lovestruck perfume commercial, featuring Gossip Girl star Leighton Meester, was just released today. Ever since seeing stunning images of the starlet from the campaign, we’ve been waiting with baited breath for this video. The fragrance, a combination of pink guava, tuberose, angelica blossom and sheer musk notes, was inspired by Shakespeare’s most-famous romantic tradegy, so it’s no surprise that this clip is like a modern-day version of Juliet waiting for Romeo—but instead of being perched on a balcony, she’s on a fire escape. Ah, the romance.
Perhaps more striking than the chemistry between the actress and male model Tommy Dunn is the gorgeous rose-colored gown she wears, a Vera Wang creation, of course. This ad is just the first part of Meester’s two-year, and estimated $3 million, contract with the label (wow!), so we’re hoping that there are plenty more damsel-in-a-dress campaigns just like this one in the works.
Get your hands on other fantastic feminine fragrances in the Birchbox Shop.
Courtesy of Vogue Italia
Happy Friday, Birchboxers! Before we jet off on our three-day weekend (woohoo!) here are some of the stories that have caught our eye this week.
- Refinery29 opened our eyes to the possibility of feather hair extensions, a trend we’ll be trying ASAP, along with some super fun nail strips.
- Style.com compared the Clarisonic Mia skin brush to the new, much more affordable Olay version and the results were pretty even. We’re fans of the Clarisonic (See our guide to washing your face), but this review has us checking our wallets.
- Ever wonder where the beehive hairstyle came from? The Daily Mail (via Cut Blog), introduced us to the hairstylist who created the look in 1960 for Modern Beauty Salon magazine. Who knew it would still be popular 51 years later? Learn a slightly toned down version with our guide to hair teasing.
- We’ve got celebrities in ad campaigns on the brain lately. There’s Taylor Swift for CoverGirl of course, but also Gwen Stefani for L’Oreal Paris, and Amanda Seyfried (LOVE her) for Cle de Peau. On the fashion front, there’s Leighton Meester for Missoni, looking happier than we’ve ever seen her and Katie Holmes for Ann Taylor.
- You might have heard that Pantone’s color of 2011 is Honeysuckle, a hot pink shade that makes us smile. Hot pink can be a lot to handle so if you’re looking for some ideas on translating the trend to your makeup, check out Anna De Souza’s guide on Huffington Post.