Another Friday, another Reading List, folks. This week we just happened to come across an unusually high number of stories about awesome women. Whether they’re founders of beauty companies, the brains behind brilliant websites, models with fun attitudes, or just ladies teaching us how to make great nail art, we couldn’t get enough.
Lara Stone at her favorite pancake house. Photo: T Magazine
- Stop the presses! Lauren Conrad is starting a beauty line! Okay, this really shouldn’t have been so surprising to us since she already has a successful beauty blog, TheBeautyDepartment. Nevertheless, we can’t wait to see what she comes up with. [Fashionista]
- Okay, we’ve been trying to get marble nails right for months now. Somehow it never seems to work, but after watching Connie from Refinery29 do it, we have newfound inspiration — and faith in our own abilities. Wish us luck and go watch her tutorial! [Refinery29]
- Quite a few members of the Birchbox team are hanging out in LA this week (we just hosted a fab party with Smashbox last night) and have been looking for lots of fun things to do while they’re there. We stumbled across this profile of two of the coolest LA ladies we wish we knew: Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power from Who What Wear. [Into The Gloss]
- Speaking of awesome ladies, W Mag has an interview with Dany Sanz, the founder of Make Up For Ever. We had no idea she was so charming. [W Magazine]
- Finally, since it is still fashion week somewhere, we have a little model inspiration. Dutch beauty, Lara Stone hung out with Lynn Yaeger in The Netherlands for a piece in T Magazine. [T Magazine]
Have a great weekend! Use your downtime to catch up on all our new September articles!
We just became overnight super-fans of the Netherlands national soccer team…or at least the team’s signature color: bright orange. Dutch super model, Lara Stone, has partnered with Deborah Lippmann to create a super-sizzling polish that pays homage to her hometown football heroes, The Dutch Eleven. Named Lara’s Theme, this vibrant tangerine tone is sure to make a bold summer statement with a twinkling hue that’s just as stunning as the model who created it. It’s such a flattering tribute to these soccer pros, we think the team should show their gratitude by repping the polish on the field!
For more Deborah Lippmann favorites, visit our Birchbox Shop!
Even Lauren Hutton, a beauty icon, has had moments of insecurity about her appearance, namely her signature gap teeth. A profile on the legend in this month’s Harper’s Bazaar reveals that as a young model, the bombshell tried to cover up her gap using morticians’ wax (yuck!) and would cut a line in the middle of it. She also experimented using a cap and told the magazine that she’d often swallow it, laugh it out, or misplace it. “Revlon wanted me to use it all the time,” she admits.
I happen to love her signature toothy look and am such a fan of this au natural statement. In fact, two of my favorite rising stars, actress Anna Paquin and model Lara Stone, both rock space-laden smiles. “It’s becoming quite fashionable now, isn’t it? Forty-five years later,” jokes Hutton.
Read our No Makeup Beauty Dare to remind yourself that makeup is fun, not fundamental!