Elizabeth Dehn of Beauty Bets Shares Her Holiday Gift Picks
Ah, the holidays—the greatest gift-giving time of the year. We know how tough it can be to come up with the perfect present for every friend, acquaintance, co-worker, and loved one in your life, which is why we’ve turned to our favorite tastemakers to tell us what they’ve got their eye on this season. This week’s trendsetter: Minnesota-based beauty enthusiast and founder of BeautyBets.com, Elizabeth Dehn.
1. Paper goods ranks a close second to beauty products in my world, and no one does them better than Sugar Paper. Plus, I like any excuse I can get to combine stripes, bows, and gold foil.
2. Mine is an old-school whiskey-drinking kind of family—mint juleps in the summer and Manhattans in the winter. Bulleit is the best.
3. More stripes and gold foil! I can’t get enough. And what girl wouldn’t want this French Annick Goutal votive on her desk or vanity?
4. Pop these wooden toothbrushes in your weekender as a cute hostess gift. Or hand them out to your own overnight guests along with a tube of Marvis toothpaste.
5. My brother is getting this felt Old Calgary wallet for Christmas. Like his Minnesota-raised sister, he has a thing for heritage design with a North Woods vibe.
6. Best. Hand cream. Ever. Rodin Olio Lusso Crema is as rich as its price tag, yet miraculously non-greasy. For the girl—or the boss—who has everything.
7. A rose body oil by any other name would not smell as real or as heavenly. Plus its formula is all natural, just like everything else in One Love Organics’ life-changing skincare line.
8. And speaking of life-changing: J.Crew vintage pajama sets are the best gift I’ve ever received. This year, I’m asking Santa for the short-sleeved version.
9. No style blogger can seem to get enough of Clare Vivier’s clutches or her modern use of bright colors with soft, neutral leathers.
10. There’s something incredible satisfying about scribbling on a thick, white notepad. Not a day goes by that someone doesn’t ooh and ahh over my stack of from Russell + Hazel.
Need the perfect gift for anyone on your list? We recommend the Birchbox Home box!
Can you believe it’s already mid-way through August? It’s time to get serious about some outdoor eating, time at the pool, and sundress-shopping. This weekend is the perfect time to catch up on these activities, plus some reading. Scope out our favorite stories from the week below:
- Two Swedish women have solved the major issue of how to be safe and stylish while cycling by inventing an invisible helmet. No, it’s not clear plastic, and sadly it’s not really invisible. But it is a personal airbag that inflates from your collar—crazy! The price is a touch out of our budget right now but here’s hoping we can afford it in a few years. [TechCrunch]
- J.Crew has some of our favorite ads ever and now we’re prepared to like them even more. They’ve enlisted real (real glamorous, that is) women to star in their fall campaigns across print, web, and social media. [The Cut]
- Jessica Chastain is the new ambassador of Yves Saint Laurent’s (or is it Saint Laurent?) newest fragrance, Manifesto. The actress is not just a fan of the fragrance—she’s a true scent addict and wears a new fragrance for each of her movie roles to help her get into character. [WWD]
- We’re on a bit of a shaving kick lately. We’ve reached the hottest part of the summer so it only makes sense. Along with smooth legs and short shorts, shaving also brings nasty shaving bumps—gross. Read this solution for razor bumps before your next shave. [Women’s Health]
- How absolutely gorgeous does Emma Watson look on the cover of T Magazine? We’ve known she’s a stunner but that cat eye is to-die-for. Next up for Hermione? “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” an adaptation of one of our favorite books. Even more exciting though is a little nugget hidden in this profile: she’ll be starring (presumably as Belle) in a new adaptation of “Beauty and the Beast”. [T Magazine]
For even more ways to get the smoothest shave possible (and prevent those pesky bumps!) read our 5 Tips to a Better Shave article!
Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Are you heading somewhere nice for the weekend or having a mini stay-cation? Either way, enjoy your three days off and we’ll see you next week.
- First Ladies—they’re just like us! Michelle Obama revealed that the one thing she won’t be caught dead wearing is a bathing suit. We’re with you, Mrs. O! [She Finds]
- In crazy nail-art news, there are apparently nail polish pens for DOGS now. As in, you can give your dog a manicure with polka dots or flowers or whatever. Does this mean nail art has finally jumped the shark? Doubt it, but this is just crazy. [Refinery 29]
- Rihanna just debuted a new hairstyle on the Wednesday night finale of American Idol: Dreadlocks! The pop star has apparently wanted to get them since she was 14. [Fashion Etc]
- The J.Crew/Mickey Drexler piece aired last night on CNBC and gave us a glimpse inside the company plus interviews with other J.Crew insiders including Jenna Lyons. NYMag rounded up some of the best clips. [The Cut]
- Hillary Clinton continues to prove how awesome she is. Yesterday, images surfaced of her testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations committee with a popped collar. That’s pretty great by itself but she’s also wearing a coral lip! It’s quite possibly the only thing better than no makeup at all. [The Gloss]
Don’t forget to check out our Facebook page for a 15% off promo code on all our summer essentials this weekend!
For this morning’s J.Crew fall 2012 presentation, we switched things up a little. Instead of going backstage, we stayed at the front-of-house to take in the collection in all its preppy, sophisticated wonder. Here’s a first look at what the powerhouse brand has on the docket for next autumn. Are you obsessed with everything like we are? Tell us about your favorite looks in comments!
Not only are we suffering from a serious case of wanderlust, but we’ve also got a touch of the winter blues. The only cure? Vacay! And whenever we’re planning a trip, the first place we consult is Jetsetter. You can’t beat their combination of gorgeous destinations and killer deals. Lately, we’ve been drooling over their Jetsetter Homes collection, with dreamy villas and private rentals. Each day this week, we’ll be showcasing one of their best mid-winter escape properties and making suggestions for what to pack. From exotic beaches to powdery slopes, there’s something for everyone. By Friday, you’ll be ready to hop on a plane. Today’s lust-worthy locale: Jamaica!
We’ve been dying to get to Jamaica for some one-on-one time with the island’s pristine beaches, delicious cuisine (jerk chicken!), and rich cultural heritage. Who doesn’t love a tropical hideaway that gives you seven-mile stretches of white sand and reggae tunes to relax to? There’s no better time to visit this Caribbean paradise than the frenzied winter months. The spot’s easy-going attitude and idyllic terrain will melt away stress in a matter of hours.
Not only are we suffering from a serious case of wanderlust, but we’ve also got a touch of the winter blues. The only cure? Vacay! And whenever we’re planning a trip, the first place we consult is Jetsetter. You can’t beat their combination of gorgeous destinations and killer deals. Lately, we’ve been drooling over their Jetsetter Homes collection, with dreamy villas and private rentals. Each day this week, we’ll be showcasing one of their best mid-winter escape properties and making suggestions for what to pack. From exotic beaches to powdery slopes, there’s something for everyone. By Friday, you’ll be ready to hop on a plane. First up: Buenos Aires!
Buenos Aires has an energy all its own. The city buzzes with over 15 million people, and has some of South America’s best shopping, eating, and partying. But the real reason to go right now: it’s their summer! It’s currently a 88 degrees there—doesn’t that just sound delightful?
Matching done right.
How I coordinate: J.Crew Chino Short, $42.50, jcrew.com; Essie Punchy Pink polish, $8, amazon.com
I had a phase in high school where I went overboard with color coordination, but ever since I’ve tried my best to dial it back. Of course, I do dabble with matching, like wearing a top that has the same colors in it as a skirt or grabbing a belt that is the same shade as my shoes. But that’s about as far as it goes. Until yesterday, that is. I went full-throttle coordinating — and found that I really loved it. As I was pulling on my brand-new hot pink J.Crew shorts, I realized they were the exact same shade as the Essie polish I was wearing on my hands and toes. It was a very happy accident, so I decided to rock the ensemble and enjoy the coincidence.
Would you have done the same or pulled a clothing switcheroo? Vote in out poll below and tell us what you think of your nails matching your outfit.
To experiment with bright playful polishes, check out our selection in the Birchbox Shop.
I’ve always had an obsession with things that sparkle. No, not diamonds (although those are nice)—I’m talking about fashion pieces or beauty products that have glitter, sequin, or some kind of shimmer. While a lot of us associate anything glitzy with the holidays, these items are awesome to bust out in the summer when you can get the full-fledged gleaming effect in direct sunlight. Currently, I am on the hunt for more twinkling adornments. Here are a few of the things that are at the top of my list:
J.Crew Glitter Finish Leather Sandals ($98): Could these be any cuter? I especially love the juxtaposition of a sporty flat sandal with a a feminine silvery finish.
Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss ($20): This keeps lips hydrated and gleaming with tiny bits of gold glitter.
Tatcha Aburatorigami Blotting Papers ($12): Fancy and affordable, these blotting papers are great for hot summer days and the decorative gold leaf flecks are oh so pretty.
Vince Sequin Crepe Top ($295): This boxy tank takes even the most boring pair of shorts or pants and transforms them into something special.
For more great summery finds, visit the Birchbox Shop.