It seems like we have an endless list of weddings to attend these days, which means we’re constantly in need of some serious style advice. Thankfully, Ilana Stern, Founder and CEO of Weddington Way, an online boutique filled with gorgeous wedding party style picks, is sharing her wisdom with us all week long.
1. Necklace | 2. Dress | 3. Earrings | 4. Self-Tanner | 5. Bracelet | 6. Lippy Gel | 7. Polish
Spring 2013 is going to be filled with eye-popping colors! There was electric blue at Derek Lam, bright yellow at DKNY, neon green at Rag & Bone and hot orange at Helmut Lang—these designers weren’t afraid to turn up the heat. Bring a bold splash of color to your own wedding with this cobalt blue bridesmaid dress by Thread—it will look fabulous on just about any skin tone. We love complementing this hue with gold, and added a delicate heart necklace and dangly gold earrings by Dogeared.
It can be a bit of a black hole trying to sort through all the anti-aging beauty products on the market. That’s why we look to the all-knowing Jonell Copeland, the editor of the Ageist Beauty, a blog that focuses on dishing out beauty advice to ladies aged 35-50. This week, she’s giving us all the deets on her holiday season musts!
I’m not exaggerating when I say I have enough nail polishes to paint a Fiat 500. There are only certain polishes that are special enough for New Year’s Eve and other special celebrations. These are the ones that instantly put me in a party frame of mind:
Chanel Le Vernis in Malice ($26)
This limited edition polish is the perfect shade of seasonally-appropriate cranberry.
This week, we’re lucky to have Stef and Tyna, the ladies behind We Heart This, as guest bloggers. Their two-year-old site covers everything from adorable new pint-size clothing lines to advice on how to start a book club, plus super useful and candid beauty advice. This week they’ll be blogging about grown-up beauty (and no, you don’t have to stop wearing glitter when you turn 30 — or 40). And what better place to start than with their must-have products?
Tyna and I both hit a very big milestone recently: We turned 40. Gulp. While it hasn’t been quite as dreadful as I feared (no one has kicked us out of the Macy’s Junior Department or ripped Teen Vogue from our hands), we have come to the definite conclusion that our beauty must-haves are very different than they were ten years ago. With that, we bring you 10 Must-Haves for Grown Up Girls.
1. Perfume: It doesn’t matter what I’m wearing — full face and dressed to the nines or no makeup, big sunglasses, and ratty jeans — you better believe I’m wearing perfume! I always opt for an exotic scent with a sultry base like Bond No. 9 Chinatown to ensure that no matter what the outfit, people will notice the woman who smelled so good!
2. Nail Polish: A manicure is the easiest way for a Grown Up Girl to stay on trend without looking like she’s trying to be something she’s not (i.e. a teenager). Deborah Lippmann and China Glaze are my favorite polishes and right now I’m loving pastels like China Glaze Sea Spray, a baby blue with pearl.
3. Exfoliator: I’m addicted to scrubbing. Nothing ages you like dull, flaky skin. I have a medicine cabinet full of exfoliators, from peels to microdermasion creams, and I love them all.
4. Hand Cream: Sure, you spend countless hours fighting wrinkles on your face. Maybe even on your neck. But what about your hands? During the day, wear a hand cream with SPF and at night, slather on something heavy duty. Jurlique Purely Age-Defying Hand Treatment has an herb-y scent and a rich, soothing formula.
5. Lip Gloss: If all else fails, there is always lip gloss. (Otherwise known as ‘a girl’s best friend’). With warm weather just around the corner, I’m happily reaching for my favorite burst of color: coral. Illamasqua Mistress is such a bright coral, it borders on orange — which you will be wearing this summer, I assure you!
Click to read Tyna’s Must-Haves
6. SPF: There are a lot of options out there (tinted moisturizers, foundations, and even powders now have SPF) so there’s no excuse for skipping this one (looking your way Stef!). My favorite tried and true skin protectors: Drugstore mainstay Oil of Olay’s Complete SPF 30 Defense and Tarte’s Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20.
7. Tweezers: It’s no surprise to see laugh lines or crow’s feet creeping up on me, but what’s with the hair? As I get older I find new hairs—in places they don’t belong—almost every day. A high-quality pair of tweezers is a necessity to keep these rogue hairs in check. I recommend Tweezerman for their precise tips, lifetime guarantee, and free sharpening policy.
8. Magnifying Mirror: Just like every woman should have a full-length mirror to see how an outfit looks from head-to-toe, so should she have a quality magnifying mirror for the face. This mirror will be essential in makeup application (especially for those who wear glasses), seeing stray hairs and of course, for gazing into as you contemplate love and life.
9. Eye Brightener/Concealer: The delicate eye area is the first area to show signs of age, stress, or tiredness. And believe me, people notice. Dark circles under the eyes or redness on the eyelids can overshadow (heh) a stunningly made up face or distract from a killer outfit. Depending on your needs, prep the eye area (after eye cream, natch) with a light-reflecting under eye concealer (I’m loving Fresh’s Supernova Radiance Brightening Pen) and/or an eye shadow primer — Alexandra de Markoff’s Disguise for Eyes is the best I’ve ever used.
10. A vanity (or a dedicated space to prep): For some it’s a car, a couch, or a refrigerator, but I felt like a true grown-up the day I purchased my vintage art deco vanity. It doesn’t need to be an actual vanity, but every woman needs her own dedicated space (free of distractions and safe from little hands) to prep, primp, and ponder.