From Ellen’s #superselfie to an unexpected pizza party, here are our favorite moments from the 2014 Academy Awards.
Emma Watson all glammed up on the red carpet. (Photo: Daily Mail)
We’ve been following Emma Watson’s style evolution ever since her Hermione days. Last night, the actress showed up at the UK premiere of Perks of Being a Wallflower wearing the unusual combo of a Dior strapless dress paired with black trousers. The style was an upscale version of the dress-and-jeans look many of us wore back in the ’90s. Coupled with a loosely curled, half-up hairdo, the outfit managed to work for Emma, but we think it definitely falls in the love-it or hate-it category.
What do you think of Emma’s layered combo?
To get Emma’s cute ‘do, curl your hair section by section with a clipless iron.
Can you believe it’s already mid-way through August? It’s time to get serious about some outdoor eating, time at the pool, and sundress-shopping. This weekend is the perfect time to catch up on these activities, plus some reading. Scope out our favorite stories from the week below:
- Two Swedish women have solved the major issue of how to be safe and stylish while cycling by inventing an invisible helmet. No, it’s not clear plastic, and sadly it’s not really invisible. But it is a personal airbag that inflates from your collar—crazy! The price is a touch out of our budget right now but here’s hoping we can afford it in a few years. [TechCrunch]
- J.Crew has some of our favorite ads ever and now we’re prepared to like them even more. They’ve enlisted real (real glamorous, that is) women to star in their fall campaigns across print, web, and social media. [The Cut]
- Jessica Chastain is the new ambassador of Yves Saint Laurent’s (or is it Saint Laurent?) newest fragrance, Manifesto. The actress is not just a fan of the fragrance—she’s a true scent addict and wears a new fragrance for each of her movie roles to help her get into character. [WWD]
- We’re on a bit of a shaving kick lately. We’ve reached the hottest part of the summer so it only makes sense. Along with smooth legs and short shorts, shaving also brings nasty shaving bumps—gross. Read this solution for razor bumps before your next shave. [Women’s Health]
- How absolutely gorgeous does Emma Watson look on the cover of T Magazine? We’ve known she’s a stunner but that cat eye is to-die-for. Next up for Hermione? “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” an adaptation of one of our favorite books. Even more exciting though is a little nugget hidden in this profile: she’ll be starring (presumably as Belle) in a new adaptation of “Beauty and the Beast”. [T Magazine]
For even more ways to get the smoothest shave possible (and prevent those pesky bumps!) read our 5 Tips to a Better Shave article!
Here’s our fun Friday find: We just learned about Celebrityclose-up.com, a fascinating tumblr that gives an unadulterated, extra-personal look at Hollywood’s biggest stars. Everyone from Modern Family's Sofia Vergara, to Mila Kunis, to Ashton Kutcher, are featured in photos that give an uncomfortably close look at minute facial details.
Emma Watson, our favorite pixie-haired British star, has a new sexy ad for Lancome’s soon-to-be-released “Rouge in Love” lipstick and “Vernis in Love” nail polish line. Set to launch worldwide in mid-February, the collections of sassy colors are targeted specifically at younger consumers. (Earlier this year, the brand launched the Hypnôse Doll Lashes mascara and the Trésor Midnight Rose fragrance in France, which also featured Watson as its spokesmodel.)
Each year, there seems to be one celebrity haircut that stands out among the rest. This year, according to the Wall Street Journal, it was actually two: Emma Watson’s pixie and Justin Bieber’s “swish” style. The publication has deemed that these were the two most influential cuts of 2011 as measured by the volume of requests at hair salons and the number of Google searches.
We’re guilty of sticking with the same hair cut for years — if it’s not broke, why fix it? — but that can be a little boring. But not everyone has our issue. Paulina, one of our amazing operations associates, is always eyeing new cuts and styles. She’ll be sharing her tress inspiration and tips every other week here via her feature Hairistocracy.
The holidays are upon us and that can mean only one thing: inboxes will soon be flooded with party invites! This season for all my upcoming festivities, I’m planning on slicking my hair back into short bobs and low up-dos for a clean, classic, elegant look that shows off my face. Whether you’re slicking back a pixie chop like Miss Emma Watson or pulling your long hair into a party pony, the slick-back works for every hair length.
When I see a pixie cut, I automatically think of timeless beauty Audrey Hepburn. Emma Watson absolutely makes short hair work too, but now another young starlet has taken her shot at it—Vanessa Hudgens.
True, she did originally chop off her long locks for her homeless girl role in Gimme Shelter, but at the time she admitted to Access Hollywood that it made her feel like a soccer mom. However the actress must have had a change of heart on Tuesday, when she donned an even shorter cut at the L.A. premiere of Captain America.
I admire her courage, but we aren’t the biggest fans of this new look, and I’m hoping she stays away from scissors for quite some time. Comment and let us know what you think about the switch!
Create your own bold style with products from our Birchbox Shop.