Our office manager, Nicole, is wonder woman. No, really. It’s the only explanation for how on top of everything she is. From human resources and employee benefits to keeping us well fed with treats at all times, she does it all. We snagged a few minutes of her time to take a peek at her desk.
Our operations associates are some of the busiest team members at Birchbox. They’re on the front lines talking to customers and managing orders every day, so we thought it was time to take a peek at one of their desks. Today, we grabbed a picture of Paulina’s — it’s full of her favorite polishes, treats, and the product she’s lusting after from her December box.
1. Maoz Vegetarian gift card: Maoz Vegetarian is a Birchbox team go-to for lunch. Thanks to a special someone in my life, I hold the keys to a gift card for endless falafel!
2. O.P.I.’s Jade is the New Black nail polish: Jade is the New Black is my nail polish must. Any time I can’t make up my mind about what color to wear, I always choose this pretty emerald green.
Earlier this week we introduced you to Leah, a new director on the beauty partnerships team. She always seems to have fun products on hand and lucky for us, she’s willing to share them with team content. (Love that!) So it’s only natural that we’d want to get a peek at what she has hiding on her desk. She sits right by us so it wasn’t too hard to snag a pic. Click through to see her favorite items.
If you’re a regular reader of our blog, you’ve probably already met our new marketing copywriter, Mai! In addition to all her other work, she’s been blogging up a storm for us and, quite frankly, amazing the rest of team content with her speed and wit. If you haven’t read it yet, take a look at her post from yesterday about choosing your own fragrance. It’s a winner. She’s also our go-to resource for delicious Asian cuisine (yum!) — we’re hoping she’ll teach us all to make sushi sometime soon. Leave a comment and maybe we can convince her!
1. Jouer Lip Enhancer: I keep an army of balms and glosses at my desk because my lips get chapped easily. This one really stands out for its creamy texture and non-stickiness. I love how it makes my lips super soft.
2. L’Occitane En Provence Dry Skin Hand Cream: This rich hand cream is my stand-by to keep my hands soft and moisturized. I type all day and spend a lot of time staring at my hands, so it makes me happy when they look nice.
3. Lotus Wei Perfume Serums: These mini-bottles are filled with scented serums designed to boost your mood. I dab them on my wrists and neck throughout the day whenever I need a little aromatherapy break.
4. J.R. Watkins Hand & Body Lotion: I can’t get enough of the scented lotions! This one smells like mango, and it has two of my favorite ingredients: shea butter and coconut oil.
5. Bride & Groom Figurine: I like to keep familiar objects at my desk because they remind me of my favorite memories. An old friend got me this a gag gift for my birthday a few years ago (she said I had the same haircut as the bride).
6. Photo Strip: I love old-fashioned photo booth pictures. Here’s me and one of my friends hamming it up on a night out.
Today’s desk subject is one-half of the Birchbox creative team and a big part of the reason that Birchbox.com looks so beautiful today. Graphic designer Charlie joined the team about a month ago and has been the super side kick to our Creative Director, Jess ever since. Given today’s redesign (whoooo!!), we couldn’t help sneaking a peek at Charlie’s desk. We found some pretty lust-worthy techy items, plus a box full of samples that we’d like to get our hands on.
1. iPad with Skullcandy Headphones: Currently rocking out to Foster the People, Ellie Goulding, and DJ Flux Pavilion… My Skullcandy headphones drown out the noise so that I can focus when it’s time to resize product photos. It just so happens that they’re super cute too.
2. Samples: Today I grabbed a few samples to take home. I’m hoping they will help me look refreshed for the holiday weekend. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-free Lotion, Ahava Mineral Body Lotion, and Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask.
3. Photo: I just celebrated my 1-year wedding anniversary, so I made this little picture collage of my wedding. It has images of all my friends and family in it and puts a smile on my face every day :)
4. Water Bottle: Must stay hydrated! NYC in the summer is no joke!
5. Photo Shoot Samples: We’ve been working really hard to take some awesome photos of our samples and full-size products for all of you Birchboxers. I am the keeper of all the samples we’ve ever shot and everyone in the office knows not to touch them — OR ELSE…dun dun dun.
View some of Charlie’s favorite products, including Kiehl’s and Carol’s Daughter in the Birchbox Shop!
We’re not exactly sure how to describe what today’s desk subject, Jennie, does for Birchbox. That is to say, she does so many different things, from keeping the Shop in order to processing our monthly memberships, that there isn’t one concise answer. Officially, she’s our marketing operations manager, so she works with our tech team (and so many others) to make sure that everything birchbox.com-related is running smoothly. In other words, we’d be lost without her. She let us in on a few of the things taking up her enormous desk space this week!
p.s. Do you like our new pink desks?
1. Extra Monitor: Makes me more efficient and glasses free! It’s a HUGE help when it comes to data crunching, project planning, and having to look at five different documents at the same time.
2. Picture of River Barna: My favorite Birchbox baby! Daughter of our previous director of interactive and she’s Hayley’s niece. At five months old, I think she is already beginning to learn our e-commerce platform.
3. Sigg Water Bottle: Keeps me hydrated, I take it everywhere I go.
4. Coffee: Critical daily food item to keep me functioning.
5. Samples: I’m in the midst of figuring out a special program to get these awesome samples to our customers. (Editor note: We spy some cute Serge Lutens samples in there!)
6. Balance Ball: I look silly sitting on it, but hey, it keeps my posture in line!
Sneak a peek at some of the products in our Shop, added by Jennie of course!
One of the coolest things about working at Birchbox is that our founders, Katia and Hayley, sit right alongside us in the office. They’re always available when we have questions, want to touch base, or just want to say hi — no stuffy corner offices here! Today we’re featuring Katia’s desk. She has tons of lovely goodies for us to peek at!
1. Cynthia Rowley Sunglasses: These tell everyone not to mess with me! They’re soon to be joined by a new pair of Warby Parker glasses. (similar style linked)
2. Caramel from a Birchbox Member: We really do have the best customers in the world. One of them sent our customer service team caramels and I snagged one for later.
3. A card for our Fashion’s Night Out party! We’ll be rocking all night with Scoop NYC, Citizens of Humanity, and Yosi at Scoop’s Meatpacking location. Stay tuned for more details!
4. Ingrid Michaelson CDs: Love her! Feel free to make fun of me for still having CDs.
5. Oribe Apres Beach Wave + Shine Spray: I’m already a HUGE fan of the Oribe Texturizing Spray so I know this will be a new staple in the office. (Launching Soon)
6. False Lashes by Faux Lash: Our new friends at Faux Lash sent these over and they’re perfect for getting an ultra glam look.
7. A cute post-it from my husband, Greg, who is also our video producer!
8: A partially hidden scary beauty ad: to remind us to always focus on beautiful, real women!
9: Skull Candy Headphones: Courtesy of team member, Rachel. I wear these when I really need to focus or jam on Turntable.fm! You can get your own Skull Candy earbuds with a purchase on Birchbox.
Find all of Katia’s favorite beauty products in the Birchbox Shop today!
For the past three months, Birchbox’s content team has had an amazing editorial intern, Shana. You’re probably familiar with her College Girl column and some of the other amazing blog posts and articles that she’s written this summer. Sadly all good things must come to end and Shana will be jetting off to a semester abroad in London after her last day tomorrow. We’re sad to see her go, but excited for her to have such an awesome experience. We thought it would only be appropriate to feature her desk today and wish her well as she heads off to the land of crumpets, afternoon tea, fish and chips, and Shakespeare. Oh, and you’d better believe that we’ll be expecting weekly updates about her new BFFS: Harry, Will, and Catherine, of course. Cheerio!
1. Photo collage: I tried to make a collage when our Internet connection went down for an hour last week, but I cut out all the pictures and then realized I didn’t have any glue.
2. Shipping labels: I have lots of shipping labels around because I’m in charge of sending fun prizes to recent contest winners. Congrats to the Twitter Tuesday winners and don’t forget to enter our current TOCCA Sweeps!
3. Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment: Lorelei and I went to the Fresh’s Kiss & Tell Truck event along with our beauty partnership team. It was pouring rain that day, but it didn’t stop us from waiting in line for mini lip makeovers and free gloss—definitely a highlight of my summer.
4. Gigantic piece of bread: I was really craving chicken parm and spaghetti for lunch today, and this ginormous loaf came with my order. I ate all inside parts and the shell of crust is all that is left as evidence.
5. Coffee Cups: As I mentioned in my latest College Girl post, I have a slight iced coffee addiction. I’ve been saving money by making my own at the office.
6. Bliss Waxing Kit: I’ve been collecting a bunch of different waxing kits for a review. Here’s one that found its way from the closet to my desk—guess it’s time to start testing.
Special tidbit: What’s Shana’s fave Birchbox product? Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint in Glow. “I discovered it while working here and I won’t leave the house now without wearing it.”
This week’s featured desk is our lovely new director of PR & strategic partnerships, Amanda. In terms of desk style, she’s the polar opposite of last week’s desk belonging to our creative director, Jess. Amanda is all about the organization, which makes sense since she’s a master of pulling off the impossible and choreographing seamless events at the drop of a hat. We’re super jealous of all the fun goodies she has laying about—and yes, that is a picture of her chilling with Phillip Lim. it’s safe to say we’ll be dropping by her desk much more frequently.
- Barbie: At the 2009 ACE Awards, Barbie won for Icon of the Year, so each guest received their own Barbie. The dinner tables were filled with clothes and accessories to dress them. Honestly, I had so much fun styling. She now sits on my desk for inspiration.
- Skull Candy headphones: Open-plan offices can get crazy at times so I need these headphones (borrowed from my friend Rachel on our brand team) to block out all the noise. Plus, they are cute and stylish.
- NARS Orgasm Illuminator: Best invention. Ever. Gives any face a quick pick-me-up at the end of the day before going out for drinks.
- Alice In Wonderland Notebook from Urban Outfitters: Get creative, people! Life is too boring otherwise. I also bought my friend a notebook with a picture of a PB&J sandwich that says “You are the jelly to my peanut butter.”
- John Derian for Target coaster: I hate water marks!
- Manhattan Magazine: I was lucky enough to get on their mailing list. It is such a great magazine for those who love, or want to learn about, this truly amazing city.
Check out other great beauty finds in the Birchbox Shop!
Welcome to Birchbox’s brand-new office! We’ve been here about a week now, so it’s still in the process of being “birchboxified.” But many team members have settled right in. Case in point: Jess, our Creative Director, has set up camp and created the perfect environment for a little inspiration.
- Coffee: I always have coffee on my desk. The only good thing about the 100-degree weather is that it’s socially acceptable for me to consume massive amounts of iced coffee.
- Homemade Trailmix: A little afternoon snack to help finish the day! I get giant bags of nuts and dried fruit from Trader Joe’s and mix them.
- NARS Satin Lipstick in Niagara: A new purchase! I normally don’t wear lip color but this summer coral won me over. (Editor’s Note: Jess should definitely wear this more often- it looks slammin’.)
- Foil Packets: Samples with purchase are a new venture for Birchbox! (See our blog post about the program for more info.) The piles on my desk were necessary while designing the accompanying card (they have great beauty tips on them).
- Jouer Eyeshadow Palette: I love the way these products clip together, Legos-style. They’re also really easy to blend on in case my eyes need a little pick-me-up in the afternoon.
- The mess in the back: I’m always getting new paper samples, ribbon colors, and packaging novelties. It helps to constantly reference them when coming up with new ways to promote programs.
Take a peek at Birchbox’s new special edition box, Tip to Toe Treats, curated by Cynthia Rowley.