Health and beauty: a winning combo, no? At this morning’s Self Magazine 2012 Healthy Beauty Awards, the theme was products that make you look and feel amazing.
The event, held at the Museum of Modern Art, revealed 89 winners across the categories of face, makeup, nails, sun, hair, and body—from Top Acne Spot Solution (hello, Yes to Tomatoes Clear Skin Spot Stick) to Best Deep Conditioner (woot Ojon Super Sleek Smoothing Conditioner). The products were chosen by a panel of Self readers who tested them in their own homes and submitted their honest feedback. I recognize plenty of favorites on the list, but there are also ones I’m excited to try!
Beyond celebrating the phenomenal products, Self’s Editor-in-Chief, Lucy Danzinger, also set the tone of the event by bringing attention to social media. She told the audience of editors, industry execs, and brand bigwigs that companies shouldn’t try to strong-arm their message—they should just ensure that people are talking about their products and their brands. As a Twitter and Instagram addict, I loved hearing her give a digital call to action.
Check out the Birchbox products that made the Self list!
Who has packing tips for me? My overstuffed suitcase.
Ok, I’m not actually going to Hollywood. But I am going to L.A. (weather permitting, fingers crossed) for a video shoot with a few of our brand partners. Assuming I get off the ground (again, knock on wood), here’s what I’m bringing.
1. Amika mini hair dryer: This is part of Amika’s Giraffe Go Go Travel Set, which we’re adding to the shop in September. Besides the too-cute print, this little guy is powerful enough to dry my hair in under ten minutes.
2. New Balance 10: Part of New Balance’s new Minimus line, these trail sneaks are extremely light with a semi-stiff, flexi sole. I feel like Flash Gordon in them, even if I move more like a snail.
3. Tanya Anguiniga Studio Rope Bracelet: Katia ordered this amazingly oversize bracelet for me off Fab (not avail anymore, sorry!) and at first, I thought it was way too big. I was obviously wrong. It’s amazing. (Also amazing: Fab.)
4. TSA-compliant makeup bag: All of my current essentials, and then some: Dr. Jart Beauty Balm; One Love Organics Easy Does It Cleanser; Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint; and more.
5. Warby Parker Prestons: We had a fun trunk show/happy hour with the Warby Park kids last week and I swear the entire BB team now owns either Preston glasses or Everett sunnies. I feel smarter just wearing mine.
6. J. Crew belt: Can’t go anywhere without a skinny metallic belt.
P.S. Completely unrelated, but I’m loving Deborah Lippmann’s Lara’s Theme — a juicy orange that’s for the last few weeks of summer!